778 users online (98 members and 680 guests)  

Websleuths News

gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain

NY - Richard Massey, 27, NYC, Dec 2002

Richard Massey has just moved to NYC from England and was excited about his new job, new city, new friends, new girlfriend. He had confided to his friends in the weeks leading up to his disappearence that he was scared someone was going to hurt him. This resulted in him barricading himself in his apartment on Dec. 19th, 2002. The police were called and Richard was taken to St. Vincent's Hospital and released a short time later. Richard never made it back to his apartment. His credit cards, SSN have not been used; he left all of his belongings behind and he has not contacted his family. He was due to fly home for Christmas a few days before he disappeared. His family says it is highly unlike Richard to not contact them in five years. The NYPD has his status listed as a voluntary disappearence and have repeatedly denied the Massey families request to change his status. The disappearence of Richard Massey has NEVER been investigated by the NYPD. The Massey family has hired a private investigator.

http://charleyproject.org/cases/m/massey_richard.html

http://www.richardmassey.com/Richard...d_Massey_.html
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi

gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain

NY-Richard Massey Missing in NYC since 2002 - FOUND 2003 - Was 'John Doe' until 2008

Richard Massey had just moved to NYC from England and was excited about his new job, new city, new friends, new girlfriend in 2002.

He had confided to his friends in the weeks leading up to his disappearence that he was scared someone was going to hurt him. This resulted in him barricading himself in his apartment on Dec. 19th, 2002. The police were called and Richard was taken to St. Vincent's Hospital and released a short time later. Richard never made it back to his apartment.

His credit cards, SSN have not been used; he left all of his belongings behind and he has not contacted his family. He was due to fly home for Christmas a few days before he disappeared. His family says it is highly unlike Richard to not contact them in five years.

The NYPD has his status listed as a voluntary disappearence and have repeatedly denied the Massey families request to change his status. The disappearence of Richard Massey was never investigated by the NYPD which was basically confirmed when the Massey family through the help of their own PI's finally discovered their son had been found floating in the Hudson River in 2003. LE has admitted they did not check bodies while 'investigating' Massey's disappearence so Richard was buried in 2003 in a pauper's grave and has been there for the past 6 yrs while his family has been in anguish frantically searching for him.

The Massey family finally brought their son home and buried him in December 2008 in England where he is from.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/...?articlepage=1

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/...39s.4829762.jp

http://www.richardmassey.com/Richard...d_Massey_.html
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi

His poor family .. at least they were able to give him a proper burial, instead of him being in Potter's field. It would be hard to trace the case, unless they can get cell phone records from his provider for around the time he went missing and also trace his ip's. The Hudson is random, and even those whose bodies are in it upstate, wash downstream.

How long does the morgue keep unidentified remains? I was surprised by how quickly he was buried after being found.

His death is still a mystery. Did he kill himself? Was he murdered? Was it an accident? He was obviously very distraught that day and paranoid. From what I understand he did not have a history of mental illness but you have to wonder if there wasn't one developing. His behavior is indicitive of someone who is suffering from schitzophrenia or indicitive of someone who really is in danger and is frantic.

I hope his families find answers. They were/are very frustrated with how LE handled Richard's disappearence. From what I understand LE did not trace his cell phone records or do anything really because they classified it as a voluntary disappearence.
    --Ghandi

Gaia, do you know offhand if LE can get the cell phone records back that far? Maybe if they can figure out who he last talked to, they can get a bigger picture of what his state of mind was like. Was he worried he was being followed? Distraught over something?

Gaia--I just saw this too, and came to post! I think you and I had PM'd about the case a while ago. It's nice to know that people do still follow up on the old cases here!

Found deceased

From http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Massey, 27, disappeared from New York City, New York on December 19, 2002. In March 2003, his body was found in the Hudson River. Police failed to connect the corpse to Massey's disappearance and it was buried unidentified in a pauper's grave. It wasn't until late 2008 that an attorney hired by Massey's family traced his body after providing basic information to the city medical examiner. Massey's body was exhumed and re-buried in his native Doncaster, Yorkshire, England. It's unclear how he died; there were no obvious injuries to his body and the autopsy was inconclusive.
    Last edited by Cubby; 05-01-2010 at 09:07 PM. Reason: whoops hit edit instead of quoting
    "Don't forget the kangaroo!"

How awful for his family. Not only did they lose their son and brother but they had no idea over 6 years. My prayers are with them.

Quote Originally Posted by hoppyfrog View Post
    From http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Massey, 27, disappeared from New York City, New York on December 19, 2002. In March 2003, his body was found in the Hudson River. Police failed to connect the corpse to Massey's disappearance and it was buried unidentified in a pauper's grave. It wasn't until late 2008 that an attorney hired by Massey's family traced his body after providing basic information to the city medical examiner. Massey's body was exhumed and re-buried in his native Doncaster, Yorkshire, England. It's unclear how he died; there were no obvious injuries to his body and the autopsy was inconclusive.
    BBM. And we wonder why so many go unidentified.
    It is sooo sad this family had to hire an attorney because those in LE and ME failed to make the connection.

I'm glad his family has answers and Richard has his name back.

RIP Richard.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.