OK OK - Josephine Cogburn, 16, & Joyce Cogburn, 15, Norman, 2 Oct 1983

Richard

Reaction score
25 Years ago...
----------------------------------------------------------

Josephine Yvette Cogburn

Missing since October 2, 1983 from Nroman, Oklahoma
Origionally from Broken Bow, McCurtain County, Oklahoma.
Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: April 10, 1967
Age at Time of Disappearance: 16 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'1"; 128 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; blue eyes.
Tattoos: Josephine has "VETTE" with a swirl underneath in script lettering inside of the foot, near the toes.

NCMEC #: NCMC600777
NCIC Number: M-109005800

Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

--------------------------------------------------------

Joyce Irene Cogburn

Missing since October 2, 1983 from Norman, Oklahoma.
Origionally from Broken Bow, McCurtain County, Oklahoma.
Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: May 10, 1968
Age at Time of Disappearance: 15 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'3; 116 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; brown eyes.

NCMEC #: NCMC600777
NCIC Number: M-109006699

Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Circumstances of Disappearance

Josephine (16) and her younger sister, Joyce (15), from Broken Bow, Oklahoma were staying with an adult male friend of their family, in a Norman apartment in October 1983.

The friend, reported them missing. He claimed that both Josephine and Joyce ran away from him. He stated that he last saw them when they left to go to the library.

Neither girl has been seen or heard from since.

The girls had moved to Norman (in Cleveland County, Oklahoma) after having some problems at home in Broken Bow.

It is possible that the girls were involved in drugs, but there is no evidence proving a drug connection.

Their names, birth certificates and social security numbers have not been used since their disappearance. The friend of the family has been interviewed about their disappearance several times.

Police suspect that foul play was involved.

----------------------------------
Investigators

If you have any information concerning the Cogburn sisters' cases, please contact:

Norman Police Department
Missing Persons Unit
405-366-5211
Email: NormanPD@NormanOK.gov

OR
Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation
1-800-522-8017
Email: tips@osbi.state.ok.us

All information may be submitted on an anonymous basis.

Source Information:
The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
The Daily Oklahoman
The Doenetwork Case File 98DFOK (Josephine)
The Doenetwork Case File 99DFOK (Joyce)
The Charley Project

LINKS:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/98dfok.html (Josephine)

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/cogburn_josephine.html (Josephine)

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/99dfok.html (Joyce)

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/cogburn_joyce.html (Joyce)

Bump

Next month will mark 27 years since Josephine and Joyce went missing. Come home soon, prayers for your family.

Josephine and Joyce have been missing for 30 years now.

Bumping with NAMUS pictures:
cache.php
Josephine Cogburn
cache.php

Joyce Cogburn

cache.php

Josephine's photo is age-progressed to 44 years on 11/29/11.
cache.php

Joyce's photo age-progressed to 43 years on11/29/11.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/5956/
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/5955/

Joyce Irene Cogburn
cogburn_joyce.jpg
joyce_irene_cogburn_2.jpg
joyce_irene_cogburn_3.jpg

Joyce, circa 1983; Age-progression to age 43 (circa 2011)

• Missing Since 10/02/1983
  • Missing From Norman, Oklahoma
  • Classification Non-Family Abduction
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 05/10/1968 (52)
  • Age 15 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'3, 116 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, brown eyes. Joyce's ears are pierced.
---------------------------------------
Josephine Yvette Cogburn
cogburn_josephine.jpg
josephine_yvette_cogburn_3.jpg

Josephine, circa 1983; Age-progression to 44 (circa 2011)

• Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 04/10/1967 (53)
  • Age 16 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'1, 128 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, blue eyes. Josephine goes by her middle name, Yvette. She has the nickname "VETTE" in script lettering, with a swirl underneath, tattooed on the inside of her foot near her toes. Her ears are pierced.
Details of Disappearance:

Joyce and her older sister, Josephine, were staying at family friend's apartment in Norman, Oklahoma. The individual reported the sisters' disappearance on October 2, 1983. He claimed that he was out that day and Josephine and Joyce were supposed to go to the library, and when he came home they were gone. They have never been heard from again.

All their belongings were left behind. Investigators initially believed they'd run away from home, but as time passed without anyone seeing or hearing from the sisters, they began to suspect foul play.

Joyce and Josephine's father was killed in a car accident in 1968. Their mother was pregnant with Joyce at the time, and Josephine was an infant. She gave the two girls to their paternal grandparents; their older sister, Rosetta, went to her maternal grandmother.

The sisters were reunited in 1975, after their mother remarried. She made her second husband leave their home over allegations that he'd tried to molest Joyce and Josephine. In 1983, Joyce and Josephine were having disciplinary problems at home in Broken Bow, Oklahoma. They left and moved in with the family friend in Norman. He was granted temporary custody of them. Then they disappeared.

The sisters may have been involved with drugs at the time of their disappearances. There have been possible sightings of them since they vanished and investigators think they may still be alive, but none of the reports have been confirmed.

Their older sister believes the family friend murdered Joyce and Josephine. He has been interviewed several times by police and never ruled as a suspect in the Cogburns' cases; he's considered a person of interest.

In mid-September 1983, Josephine told Rosetta that Joyce and the man had been dating, but Joyce now had a new boyfriend and didn't want anything to do with her guardian. Rosetta theorizes the man killed both teens in a jealous rage. She says he never returned the girls' belongings, like clothes and photo albums, to the Cogburn family, even though they asked him to.

Neither sister's names, birth certificates or Social Security numbers have been used since October 1983. Their disappearances remain unsolved and foul play is suspected.
Investigating Agency
  • Norman Police Department 405-366-5211
Source Information

cogburn_josephine+%281%29.jpg

josephine_yvette_cogburn_3+%281%29.jpg

age-progressed to 44 years on 11/29/11.

Josephine Yvette Cogburn was 16 years old when her and her sister, Joyce, went missing.

Josephine and Joyce were staying with a family friend in Noman. The girls where sent to stay with this man due to the girls having disciplinary problems at home with their mother and older sister in Broken Bow. This man was given granted temporary custody. The family friend stated that the girls where suppose to go to the library. When he got home, the girls where gone, and where never seen again.

Initially investigators thought the girls ran away, but all their personal belongings where left behind. There has been possible sighting of the girls since they vanished, but none of these reports have ever been confirmed.

Their older sister, Rosetta, believes the family friend murdered the girls. He has been interviewed several times by police and has never been ruled a suspect, but he is still considered person of interest in the girls disappearance.

In Mid-September 1983, Josephine told Rosetta, that Joyce and the family friend had been dating. But said that Joyce had gotten a new boyfriend and didn’t want anything to do with him anymore. Rosetta theorized that the girls guardian killed both girls in a jealous rage. Rosetta states he has never returned the girls belongings to the family, even though they have asked for it.

The sister’s names, social security numbers, or birth certificates have not been used since October 1983. Police suspect foul play in the disappearance of Josephine and Joyce.

Josephine was 5’1” tall and 128 pounds at the time of her disappearance, her hair was brown and she has blue eyes. There is a tattoo on the inside of her foot of “Vette” in script lettering with a swirl underneath near her toes.

If you have any information on this case please contact the Norman Police Department at (405)366-5211.

Information Resource(s):

NamUs #MP5955

Josephine Yvette Cogburn – The Charley Project
Josephine Yvette Cogburn — Oklahoma Cold Cases

cogburn_joyce.jpg

Age-progression to age 43 (circa 2011)

Joyce Irene Cogburn was 15 years old when her and her sister, Josephine, went missing.

Joyce and Josephine, were staying with a family friend in Noman. The girls where sent to stay with this man due to the girls having disciplinary problems at home with their mother and older sister in Broken Bow. This man was given granted temporary custody. The family friend stated that the girls where suppose to go to the library. When he got home, the girls where gone, and where never seen again.

Initially investigators thought the girls ran away, but all their personal belongings where left behind. There has been possible sighting of the girls since they vanished, but none of these reports have ever been confirmed.

Their older sister, Rosetta, believes the family friend murdered the girls. He has been interviewed several times by police and has never been ruled a suspect, but he is still considered person of interest in the girls disappearance.

In Mid-September 1983, Josephine told Rosetta, that Joyce and the family friend had been dating. But said that Joyce had gotten a new boyfriend and didn’t want anything to do with him anymore. Rosetta theorized that the girls guardian killed both girls in a jealous rage. Rosetta states he has never returned the girls belongings to the family, even though they have asked for it.

The sister’s names, social security numbers, or birth certificates have not been used since October 1983. Police suspect foul play in the disappearance of Joyce and Josephine.

Joyce was 5’ 3” tall and 116 pounds when she was last seen with strawberry blond and brown eyes.

If you have any information on this case please contact the Norman Police Department at (405)366-5211.

Information Resource(s):

NamUs #MP5956

Joyce Irene Cogburn – The Charley Project

Joyce Irene Cogburn — Oklahoma Cold Cases

cogburn_josephine+%281%29.jpg

josephine_yvette_cogburn_3+%281%29.jpg

age-progressed to 44 years on 11/29/11.

Josephine Yvette Cogburn was 16 years old when her and her sister, Joyce, went missing.

Josephine and Joyce were staying with a family friend in Noman. The girls where sent to stay with this man due to the girls having disciplinary problems at home with their mother and older sister in Broken Bow. This man was given granted temporary custody. The family friend stated that the girls where suppose to go to the library. When he got home, the girls where gone, and where never seen again.

The sister’s names, social security numbers, or birth certificates have not been used since October 1983. Police suspect foul play in the disappearance of Josephine and Joyce.

Josephine was 5’1” tall and 128 pounds at the time of her disappearance, her hair was brown and she has blue eyes. There is a tattoo on the inside of her foot of “Vette” in script lettering with a swirl underneath near her toes.

Information Resource(s):

NamUs #MP5955

Josephine Yvette Cogburn – The Charley Project
Josephine Yvette Cogburn — Oklahoma Cold Cases
Any thoughts on this. BJS needs to be put under a microscope

A couple of weeks ago me and my brother were on our way to South Carolina to pick up his daughter at her boy friends house. Now she is 19, she could have drove it on her own but he didn’t want her to be out there by herself, you know, what can happen. We had some good quality time together. It is just us two and our families both of our parents have recently passed away.
He is 63 and I am 58.it seems to me that he is searching for purpose. He told me that he wanted to focus on helping others. You spend your whole life navigating the ups and the downs , friends, family and personal struggles that you just want something else in life.
I was watching one of these crime shows about missing persons which got me to lookin up missing persons in NC and I saw the Sandra Ross case and the Hester Maynard Keith jr. Case , then I ran across WS and that got me started the I saw the
Josephine And Joyce Cogburn case which brings me to this. I’ve read some of the articles about the case and looked at the face book page that was set up in memory of these two girls, I believe it can be resolved and closure can be brought to the family.
The only person of interest that they have is the family friend. This person has been questioned several times but it has produced nothing. The older of the three had said in an article that I read that the family friend had a piece of land out side of Norman Oklahoma. That land needs to be searched. I don’t know how many acres it is but it needs to be searched. You know they have technology now that can identify imperfections in the land that could be a site of a possible grave. A case is never to old. Josephine and Joyce would be 54 or 55 years old today. The heat needs to be turned up and WS is away to do it by keeping it alive. Thanks for taking the time to read this
Thanks,Steve AKA Armchair 63

A couple of weeks ago me and my brother were on our way to South Carolina to pick up his daughter at her boy friends house. Now she is 19, she could have drove it on her own but he didn’t want her to be out there by herself, you know, what can happen. We had some good quality time together. It is just us two and our families both of our parents have recently passed away.
He is 63 and I am 58.it seems to me that he is searching for purpose. He told me that he wanted to focus on helping others. You spend your whole life navigating the ups and the downs , friends, family and personal struggles that you just want something else in life.
I was watching one of these crime shows about missing persons which got me to lookin up missing persons in NC and I saw the Sandra Ross case and the Hester Maynard Keith jr. Case , then I ran across WS and that got me started the I saw the
Josephine And Joyce Cogburn case which brings me to this. I’ve read some of the articles about the case and looked at the face book page that was set up in memory of these two girls, I believe it can be resolved and closure can be brought to the family.
The only person of interest that they have is the family friend. This person has been questioned several times but it has produced nothing. The older of the three had said in an article that I read that the family friend had a piece of land out side of Norman Oklahoma. That land needs to be searched. I don’t know how many acres it is but it needs to be searched. You know they have technology now that can identify imperfections in the land that could be a site of a possible grave. A case is never to old. Josephine and Joyce would be 54 or 55 years old today. The heat needs to be turned up and WS is away to do it by keeping it alive. Thanks for taking the time to read this
Thanks,Steve AKA Armchair

Let’s keep the focus on this case!

Let’s keep the focus on this case!

Link takes me to The Oklahoman, but not to an article about these missing young ladies.

Josephine:

and Joyce:

... the family friend had a piece of land out side of Norman Oklahoma. That land needs to be searched. I don’t know how many acres it is but it needs to be searched. You know they have technology now that can identify imperfections in the land that could be a site of a possible grave...

The technology and techniques of looking for graves have existed for decades. The problem of conducting a search is more often related to jurisdictional and probable cause legal issues.

Expense is also something that has to be considered. While the easiest approach to a search of this property would be to ask permission from the current owners, the necessary expertise and special equipment would need to be close at hand and ready.

October will mark the 40 year anniversary of her disappearance.​

Joyce Irene Cogburn, age 15​

cogburn_joyce.jpg
joyce_irene_cogburn_2.jpg
cogburn_joyce3.jpg
cogburn_joyce4.jpg

Joyce, circa 1983; Age-progression to age 43 (circa 2011)
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 05/10/1968 (55)
  • Age 15 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'3, 116 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, brown eyes. Joyce's ears are pierced.

Details of Disappearance​

Joyce and her older sister, Josephine, were staying at family friend's apartment in Norman, Oklahoma. The individual reported the sisters' disappearance on October 2, 1983. He claimed that he was out that day and Josephine and Joyce were supposed to go to the library, and when he came home they were gone. They have never been heard from again.

All their belongings were left behind. Investigators initially believed they'd run away from home, but as time passed without anyone seeing or hearing from the sisters, they began to suspect foul play.

Joyce and Josephine's father was killed in a car accident in 1968. Their mother was pregnant with Joyce at the time, and Josephine was an infant. She gave the two girls to their paternal grandparents; their older sister, Rosetta, went to her maternal grandmother.

The sisters were reunited in 1975, after their mother remarried. She made her second husband leave their home over allegations that he'd tried to molest Joyce and Josephine. In 1983, Joyce and Josephine were having disciplinary problems at home in Broken Bow, Oklahoma. They left and moved in with the family friend in Norman. He was granted temporary custody of them. Then they disappeared.

The sisters may have been involved with drugs at the time of their disappearances. There have been possible sightings of them since they vanished and investigators think they may still be alive, but none of the reports have been confirmed.

Their older sister believes the family friend murdered Joyce and Josephine. He has been interviewed several times by police and never ruled as a suspect in the Cogburns' cases; he's considered a person of interest.

In mid-September 1983, Josephine told Rosetta that Joyce and the man had been dating, but Joyce now had a new boyfriend and didn't want anything to do with her guardian. Rosetta theorizes the man killed both teens in a jealous rage. She says he never returned the girls' belongings, like clothes and photo albums, to the Cogburn family, even though they asked him to.

Neither sister's names, birth certificates or Social Security numbers have been used since October 1983. Their disappearances remain unsolved and foul play is suspected.

Investigating Agency​

• Norman Police Department 405-366-5211

Source Information​

Josephine Yvette Cogburn​

cogburn_josephine.jpg
josephine_yvette_cogburn_2.jpg
cogburn_josephine3.jpg
josephine_yvette_cogburn_3.jpg

Josephine, circa 1983; Age-progression to 44 (circa 2011)

• Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 04/10/1967 (56)
  • Age 16 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'1, 128 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, blue eyes. Josephine goes by her middle name, Yvette. She has the nickname "VETTE" in script lettering, with a swirl underneath, tattooed on the inside of her foot near her toes. Her ears are pierced.
LINK:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back