Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: VA - Grateful Dead Fan - Unidentified male, 26 June 1995 - #2

I received a reply from the Virginia Medical Examiner's Office and they can't get a hold of anyone in Australia who has access to the file of missing Daniel Sheppard to get the fingerprints to see if they match that of our GDF here. Does anyone know of any other avenue to search for a contact person in Australia?
    Sent:September 23, 2008 12:04:25 PMTo:

Hello xxxx,
    Please let us know if anyone responds to your tip. If they do, can you please provide us with their contact info? And also, can you provide them with the Virginia OCME's Central District contact info? (804-786-3174, ask for any on duty investigator) Until that time we are unable to reach anyone in Australia. We will continue to check on the status of your report to them, but at this time it simply says that the "Report is under investigation."
    Thank you.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Patience For This Useful Post:

4. The Following User Says Thank You to christine2448 For This Useful Post:

This is general discussion thread. To talk about something that doesn't already have a thread started.

The idea of a forum is to spread out. Have specific topics to dig deeper.

Just some tips.

If you have a possible match. Post it in the possible match thread to see what others think. Best to posts stats, side by side, compare.

If it needs more discussion, start a NEW thread ....

Everything get's jumbled this way. It's best to have each 'subject', each 'possible match' in it's own thread so that info isn't running into eachother.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to christine2448 For This Useful Post:

did LE ever call? They didn't say...

Quote Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
    I'll take a look around on Ebay for the shirt tomorrow. Even is there isn't one listed right now, there might be sometime in the near future.

The reason I started thinking about the shirt is because I was wondering, if Jason purchased the shirt at that show, what happened to the one he was wearing before he bought it? Where were his other belongings? Even if you're on a short road trip, you usually bring a change of clothes in a backpack or something.

Makes me wonder if he indeed did miss a ride with someone (ie, the Carolines) who may have had some of his stuff with them.
    I thought the same thing re:absence of backpack. I traveled with the Dead and the rainbow tribe for some time in the late 80s/early 90s and it wasn't uncommon for local people to pop in to a show or two with just the clothes on one's back, just for a day or two, esp. if they came to swing drugs(it was suggested that Jason might have dealt drugs by a person that recognized his doe portrait). Furthermore, his whole outfit doesn't really suggest a hardcore tour rat(from my experience.)
    I'm even more curious as to why the number didn't pan out - since the prefix could be a D.C. number, and that's where the show was held, wouldn't it make sense to call it using a D.C. area code? Even 10 years ago, you could get prefix information in the public library pretty easily! LE ever say what they DID do with the number? I'd love to have all the digits, b/c even now, one could find records from the phone co. about who had that number in D.C. then!
    Last edited by anyc; 10-06-2008 at 08:54 AM. Reason: edit title

8. The Following User Says Thank You to anyc For This Useful Post:

gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    http://unsolvedgratefuldeadfans.home...com/index.html

Has this website been posted here? It is an entire site dedicated to people who have disappeared or have been murdered who all the The Grateful Dead in common whether it was following the band, had just been to a show, was found with items intimating they knew the band and liked them, etc, etc.
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gaia227 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gaia227 View Post

Has this website been posted here? It is an entire site dedicated to people who have disappeared or have been murdered who all the The Grateful Dead in common whether it was following the band, had just been to a show, was found with items intimating they knew the band and liked them, etc, etc.
    hi--yes Patience posted it here:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70883

*sigh* this is really bugging me...i so want this kid to be id'd.
    'Curiosity is, in great and generous minds, the first passion and the last.' Dr Samuel Johnson

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kitbits For This Useful Post:

Re: the Internet message from 1996 from someone looking for a Jason so he could return his tools... Is there any way to contact him now and see if he still has the tools? It's a long shot, but if he's been storing instead of using them all this time they could still bear their owner's fingerprints. Was there any mention on the autopsy report of callouses on Jason's fingers that might mean he used tools as part of a full-time job or hobby?

Also, even if you were so embarrassed or angry about your child's lifestyle that you were reluctant to claim his body, wouldn't you do it anyway because you'd have neighbors, classmates/alumnae, parishioners from your church, etc. pointing out that that police sketch that's been all over the news bears a strong resemblance to your missing son?

Could his parents have moved away soon after the sketch was released to a new town where nobody need know they ever had a son? That sounds a bit extreme. Or did they believe the sketch wasn't close enough to their son's likeness to cause suspicion?

Either way, it's hard to imagine they would allow LE to spend time and money on this case 12 years later just to avoid claiming a body. I hope none of the above scenarios are true.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tatertot For This Useful Post:

127UMVA question

Does anyone know where 127UMVA is buried? Someone on Youtube has asked me this question

believe09 is offline For nothing is secret that will not be revealed
    This case has been made a spotlight case:
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=172

I bet you can either find the answer here or find someone who can tell you...
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

I recall reading that the driver, Michael Hagar, and ''Jason'' stopped at Hagar's home at some point on their trip. But that doesn't make sense because it is my understanding that Hagar was heading home to Inman S.C. and the accident occured in VA. Could someone clarify this?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grievousangel For This Useful Post:

Someone in one of the threads mentioned passing out flyers back then at concerts after the death of Jason. Well, it's in the news that the remaining members of the Dead are going to tour again this year.

Would it be a good idea to see if we can get some Dead fans to volunteer to pass out some flyers before the shows? There will be people at these shows of all ages, some who were alive at the time or children who have parents who are also Dead fans, etc.

Also (forgive me for I haven't had the chance to read every thread on this case) has anyone attempted to contact a member of the Dead directly? Perhaps they could send out some sort of message that would inspire the fans to help ID Jason, or maybe jog the memory of just one who remembers Jason.

They are playing shows in Greensboro, NC and Charlottesville, VA in April.

Here's the link to the schedule:
    http://dead.net/dead09/?rhino=1#tour_schedule

20. The Following User Says Thank You to shannon2008 For This Useful Post:

I have another question.

How come the Doenetwork lists his hair as "natural red", when other sources list it as having been dyed red?
    Doenetwork is an important first stop for families and friends of the missing, and details like these should be correct, or potential friends/ family will leave the page.

Does anyone know where they got that information in the first place?
    My apologies if this has been explained before.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mayfairlight For This Useful Post:

From what I understand, the Dead know about this case and others like this one, and have sent messages and made comments on the site about said cases.

Forgive me, I can't find the link at the moment, but there's a whole website dedicated to grateful dead fans who are either missing or unidentified.

nothing seems black when i see your red shoes

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to youshouldveknown For This Useful Post:

Site you refer to - It does mention some graphic images - so be careful.

"Our" Grateful Doe is at the top of the list of the unidentified persons...
    'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
    Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'

John Keats

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Piglitsmum For This Useful Post:

Yep, that's it. Thanks pigletsmum!

nothing seems black when i see your red shoes

28. The Following User Says Thank You to youshouldveknown For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lorelei View Post
    I think the Dead tended to just have a set of shirts for the whole tour, or maybe one for East Coast and one for West Coast legs, something like that. It is kind of rare for there to be a shirt made specifically for one show, so my guess is its just a general 1995 tour shirt. In that case there probably wouldn't be any way to trace the purchase to any particular venue.

Actually, with hippy jam bands, you have the official tour tshirts and then you have people in the parking lot screenprinting shirts. The bands don't mind bc they are specifically wanting their fans to be a part of any wealth they have, just like you can bootleg Phish shows, no big deal. You aren't supposed to sell the tapes, but you can tape them. With the shirts, it was just accepted. Basically with GD adn Widespread, there were always people people in the lots making their own tshirts for the tour...just something to think about. I do realize that this one was apparently official.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to VelmaB For This Useful Post:

Also, I would just like to contribute that most people truly 'following' the Dead would be identifiable as following the Dead. They would not ahve the best hygiene. It was very popular in college for many of my greek organization friends with money to be huge fans and to go to Dead shows, but they certainly weren't real followers. Many people that do end up following the Dead are doing so without particular encouragement from their parents. Having said all of that, i do want to slightly contradict myself above and say that many hippies are trust fund kids. They do come from money and that is how they make it happen. of course, this boy would likely have parents looking for him if he were a trust fund kid BUT you just never know. Some wealthy parents flip the you-know-what-out when their kids announcing that instead of coming home for summer, they are going to follow the Dead. I have seen it firsthand...totally cutting them off and being mortified. Some people are stubborn...and could simply have gotten mad at him and never looked back. people do crazy things with their kids!

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VelmaB For This Useful Post:

Can someone please check up on Jason A. Bevins - I don't believe he has been ruled out. I'm in Australia, so would have no idea how to go about checking this.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/bevins_jason.html

Thank you in advance

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heaven For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
    Can someone please check up on Jason A. Bevins - I don't believe he has been ruled out. I'm in Australia, so would have no idea how to go about checking this.

Thank you in advance
    I will send this to person who is helping me 'manage' this thread, SALEM..... and get this investigated....for some reason I think he was ruled out, but not 100% positive......get back to ya~!

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christine2448 For This Useful Post:

believe09 is offline For nothing is secret that will not be revealed
    Quote Originally Posted by Heaven View Post

Thank you in advance
    To me he is too short and the face shape is wrong, but that is JMO-it would be ruled out based on prints if Jason's are in Iafis, right???
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by believe09 View Post
    To me he is too short and the face shape is wrong, but that is JMO-it would be ruled out based on prints if Jason's are in Iafis, right???
    I agree believe, he does appear to be too short and he went missing in 1993. Do we know if there is anymore info on this Jason?

Salem

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Salem For This Useful Post:

I'm not aware of any more information on this Jason - he's listed as having very few details available, which is why I'm not too concerned with the height, it could be an estimation.

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heaven For This Useful Post:

Ok--I see that James Cole was previously rules out. He is also known as Jimmy Cole. My question is---was he ruled out by LE, or by someone here on WS? The reason I ask is because someone here said he went missing in 1999, and that is not true, he went missing April 1994 from Baltimore. Here is a websleuths post about him, as well as a new article about him:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82938

http://www.hometownannapolis.com/new...-15-years.html

He looks like a good candidate for me, so I would like to know why he was ruled out...

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Julessleuther For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Julessleuther View Post
    Ok--I see that James Cole was previously rules out. He is also known as Jimmy Cole. My question is---was he ruled out by LE, or by someone here on WS? The reason I ask is because someone here said he went missing in 1999, and that is not true, he went missing April 1994 from Baltimore. Here is a websleuths post about him, as well as a new article about him:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82938

http://www.hometownannapolis.com/new...-15-years.html

He looks like a good candidate for me, so I would like to know why he was ruled out...
    Jules - where are you seeing he was ruled out? I can't find the link/post? I too think he might be a good canidate. I'm off to find the Myspace page. Has anyone looked at the facebook page talked about in the article?

TIA,

Salem

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Salem For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast