Immunity. Why?

Evan's Mom

Reaction score
Be gentle, this is the first thread I've started here.

My question is, why are they offering CA immunity?

I know LE just wants to find Caylee's body and give that baby some closure, but what advantage is it to Casey to go ahead and take that deal?
I read that they can't use her words to prosecute her, but with all the other evidence and then you add finding Caylee's body, they've got their case and no longer need her confessions anyway.

Is it because they really don't have that solid a case against her after all and they need this to "seal the deal" to keep her from getting off?
Someone please help me understand why they think Casey would help them now just because they offer her "limited immunity"?

It's so hard to decipher what is media spin vs facts lately.

A body will make it basically, an open and shut case, I believe. A slam dunk for the prosecution, if you will.

I don't think she will help them, nor take immunity, because she is so in another world that she believes what she's telling them. That's also why I think things like a polygraph won't work.

Be gentle, this is the first thread I've started here.

My question is, why are they offering CA immunity?

I know LE just wants to find Caylee's body and give that baby some closure, but what advantage is it to Casey to go ahead and take that deal?
I read that they can't use her words to prosecute her, but with all the other evidence and then you add finding Caylee's body, they've got their case and no longer need her confessions anyway.

Is it because they really don't have that solid a case against her after all and they need this to "seal the deal" to keep her from getting off?
Someone please help me understand why they think Casey would help them now just because they offer her "limited immunity"?

It's so hard to decipher what is media spin vs facts lately.

To try to get her to talk... Watch this video (takes 30 minutes) This will help everyone understand why Casey is NOT talking to the police.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4097602514885833865

While it's tempting to think they are only doing it because their case is weak, it might be worth considering some alternate possibilities. One is that they are genuinely committed to seeing justice done -- charging her at this point is a question of choosing between manslaughter (involuntary vs. willful) and murder. They are giving her an opportunity to give an "accidental" version of events, because proving premeditation would be difficult (though I don't think it would be impossible). However, I don't think it has anything to do with being unable to make a case. There's no question that jbar is right in saying that the body would sew it up.

Two reasons. Casey gets a decent resting place. No trial because you can't bet on what a jury will do. Your odds are better in Vegas.

IMO, this has nothing to do with a weak case.

They want to bring her home and find her body. But Casey will not take the deal because a sociopath never gives in.

The only weakness in the case is manner or mechanism of death. Without the body they have no way of proving beyond a reasonable doubt whether it was a homicide, or some form of accident or negligence.

And the "limited immunity" is kind of a sneaky way of determining which it is. The limited imunity is predicated on three things. That she claims it was an accident, that she leads them to the body, and that what she tells them is the truth (ie it was an accident). If the remains then show signs of a homicide, the deal is off.

I suspect that the main reason for this is to bring the child home. If it was in fact an accidental death the charges she faces would not be substantially diferent or have a differing outcome that what she is now charged with. Whereas if it is a homicide and she lies to investigators yet again, in taking the deal, it strengthens their case.

If she doesn't accept a deal for immunity, imo, it probably wasn't an accident.

I think the state can PROVE at least that much so there is nothing for her to lose. (If indeed it was an accident)

The only reason for Casey to not want Caylee found now is because finding Caylee would take away reasonable doubt leaning toward an "accident possibility".

IMO

Thanks for the replies.

I assumed it was just to bring Caylee home and put her to rest, I just wondered what made them think CA would take that deal if they were going to prosecute her anyway?
With Caylee's body, they don't need her words/confession of an accident or otherwise, so the limited immunity is really just a moot point as far as she's concerned, right?

The only weakness in the case is manner or mechanism of death. Without the body they have no way of proving beyond a reasonable doubt whether it was a homicide, or some form of accident or negligence.

And the "limited immunity" is kind of a sneaky way of determining which it is. The limited imunity is predicated on three things. That she claims it was an accident, that she leads them to the body, and that what she tells them is the truth (ie it was an accident). If the remains then show signs of a homicide, the deal is off.

I suspect that the main reason for this is to bring the child home. If it was in fact an accidental death the charges she faces would not be substantially diferent or have a differing outcome that what she is now charged with. Whereas if it is a homicide and she lies to investigators yet again, in taking the deal, it strengthens their case.

I agree.

Thanks for the replies.

I assumed it was just to bring Caylee home and put her to rest, I just wondered what made them think CA would take that deal if they were going to prosecute her anyway?

With Caylee's body, they don't need her words/confession of an accident or otherwise, so the limited immunity is really just a moot point as far as she's concerned, right?

If it was an accident, Casey has nothing to lose by 'fessing up.

The state can already prove she is at least guilty of that much now.

IMO

It is interesting that LE has stepped in with TES to coordinate and contribute to search efforts.

I wonder if Casey possibly did quietly take the "deal" and give LE info and they are passing that info on to TES? If she did dispose of a body, even in a specific area, the recent Fay flooding and the amount of time that has passed would still require quite a bit of manpower, I'd think.

Plus there are visits scheduled again, with Lee and her parents..

Thoughts?

Good point! Maybe one of the provisions was that the public be told the deal never happened to keep the media & public from knowing she definitely disposed of the body....

The agency responsible for the immunity deal already responded and said that Baez never contacted them and the immunity deal is off the table. I don't see why they would lie.

The agency responsible for the immunity deal already responded and said that Baez never contacted them and the immunity deal is off the table. I don't see why they would lie.

Because that would reveal it to George and Cindy and possibly impact their active investigation.

I'm not saying that is what happened, I'm just curious about some of the recent developments and timeline.

I hope something breaks before Hanna blows by.

It is interesting that LE has stepped in with TES to coordinate and contribute to search efforts.

I wonder if Casey possibly did quietly take the "deal" and give LE info and they are passing that info on to TES? If she did dispose of a body, even in a specific area, the recent Fay flooding and the amount of time that has passed would still require quite a bit of manpower, I'd think.

Plus there are visits scheduled again, with Lee and her parents..

Thoughts?

I think LE has stepped in and supported TES in their search to help THEM (LE) in THEIR efforts to find Caylee (since Casey won't), to give Caylee a decent burial and to close the case with 100% satisfaction and proof to all- not to mention provide concrete evidence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
0maj0
Back