725 users online (89 members and 636 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 151
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,779
    Quote Originally Posted by miles_draken View Post
    WOW

    Just saw this on Yahoo news. Incredible if this is infact the actual hood worn by Zodiac. The man in question, Jack Torrance, deceased, does look like the composite and the hand writing from what I saw looks close. Could this be actually true? I have never heard this name associated as a suspect in the crimes before, has anyone else??
    I've looked at this guy very closely and do not rule him out completely. His physical dimensions do match that of Zodiac. There are other interesting aspects of his character. There are only three individuals who I would seriously consider as being Zodiac. They are this one, Allen and another individual whose physical proportions and weight do not match the Lake crime. Nonetheless, based on other evidence I have seen, I would not rule him out. In my opinion, Zodiac died in 1992. But then again, who knows? Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

    There is one interesting aspect of Tarrance that bears mentioning. In the Lake murder, Zodiac mentioned the state prison of Deer Lodge, Montana. I have attributed that to his lame attempt at deflecting the investigation. If I recall correctly, Tarrance does have some connections or made mention of Montana. Probably no more than a coincidence but interesting, nonetheless.

    Obviously the alleged hood is of great interest.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,761
    It's interesting, i'll believe more when the Feds are done testing the items.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    779
    There was a finger print in the Paul Stine cab I think? But they don't know absolutely that it was Zodiac's correct? I would love to see the case solved just so he wouldn't "get away with it". Even if the guy is dead, it would be a semblance of closure.

    I leaned toward Allen but then some claim alot of what Graysmith wrote in both books was slanted heavily toward what he believed and some things flat out fabricated.

    I think in his 2nd book there's a brief post note that the Lake Berryessa survivor saw and identified Allen as the man who attacked them and then there are statements saying Ferrin's sister and friends identified Tarrance as the man harrassing her? Of course someone stalking you won't necessarily mean he killed her.

    The frustrating part is you can read arguments in favor of various suspects and they sound very convincing. I believed with all my heart it WAS Allen, but now I tend to be skeptical. If the son's arguments and "facts" were really all true, it would be hard to disagree with his step dad's guilt.

    And it could be more then one killer with one claiming kills that weren't "his". The high school students' murder is very similar to Ferrin/Ferraday but the Lake murder is very different. Though I would say the letter writer is certainly the Ferrin killer since that letter was most detailed about specific actions so the killer had to write it. But the other murders aren't detailed as specifically so it would be possible to claim them without being there. And of course Stine was done by the Ferrin killer if all the letters had the same author beacause of the bloody shirt.

    Fascinating but very frustrating case.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,779
    Quote Originally Posted by Malapoo View Post
    There was a finger print in the Paul Stine cab I think? But they don't know absolutely that it was Zodiac's correct? I would love to see the case solved just so he wouldn't "get away with it". Even if the guy is dead, it would be a semblance of closure.

    I leaned toward Allen but then some claim alot of what Graysmith wrote in both books was slanted heavily toward what he believed and some things flat out fabricated.

    I think in his 2nd book there's a brief post note that the Lake Berryessa survivor saw and identified Allen as the man who attacked them and then there are statements saying Ferrin's sister and friends identified Tarrance as the man harrassing her? Of course someone stalking you won't necessarily mean he killed her.

    The frustrating part is you can read arguments in favor of various suspects and they sound very convincing. I believed with all my heart it WAS Allen, but now I tend to be skeptical. If the son's arguments and "facts" were really all true, it would be hard to disagree with his step dad's guilt.

    And it could be more then one killer with one claiming kills that weren't "his". The high school students' murder is very similar to Ferrin/Ferraday but the Lake murder is very different. Though I would say the letter writer is certainly the Ferrin killer since that letter was most detailed about specific actions so the killer had to write it. But the other murders aren't detailed as specifically so it would be possible to claim them without being there. And of course Stine was done by the Ferrin killer if all the letters had the same author beacause of the bloody shirt.

    Fascinating but very frustrating case.
    The fingerprint in Stine's cab was always believed to be unreliable in that they didn't know how or who put it there. Unless it can be traced to a specific person it doesn't really prove much.

    Some of the witnesses are not reliable including family members. In the "Director's Cut" there are extended discussions with principles that shed a good deal about what took place. I was very impressed with Officer Collins who ministered to Cynthia Shepard as she was lying near death. I was also impressed with the detective who investigated Stine's murder. He also cast considerable doubt on one of the patrolman's recollection. One of the most strange interviews was with the responding officer to Ferrin's murder. But the individual interviewed who claimed that Allen approached him to perform mob hits was certainly a smoking gun if it could be established as true.

    There is also one very interesting account of a young woman who was a student of Allen's who moved to Wisconsin. And she writes home to say she saw him in Wisconsin. If that is true, it certainly is most interesting.

    I can't discount this new revelation if it proves out but until I see something that seems more definitive, I'll continue to believe that Allen was Zodiac. I believe it is correct to say that most long time investigators believed Zodiac was Allen. Unfortunately for the investigation he dropped dead from the effects of diabetes and heart disease when he was but 58 years old. I believe an indictment was in the process at the time. At the end of his life he pleaded with a reporter to believe he was not the Zodiac. It would have been more helpful if he had tried to take the time to work with the investigators instead of taunting them. The only suspect who ever contacted Toschi was Allen when he got out of prison on the sex deviency charges. There were no Zodiac letters during his imprisonment. As an aside, Allen had a near genius IQ, but an abject failure in life and a complete bust as to possible romantic relationships.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,263
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Mule View Post
    The fingerprint in Stine's cab was always believed to be unreliable in that they didn't know how or who put it there. Unless it can be traced to a specific person it doesn't really prove much.

    Some of the witnesses are not reliable including family members. In the "Director's Cut" there are extended discussions with principles that shed a good deal about what took place. I was very impressed with Officer Collins who ministered to Cynthia Shepard as she was lying near death. I was also impressed with the detective who investigated Stine's murder. He also cast considerable doubt on one of the patrolman's recollection. One of the most strange interviews was with the responding officer to Ferrin's murder. But the individual interviewed who claimed that Allen approached him to perform mob hits was certainly a smoking gun if it could be established as true.

    There is also one very interesting account of a young woman who was a student of Allen's who moved to Wisconsin. And she writes home to say she saw him in Wisconsin. If that is true, it certainly is most interesting.

    I can't discount this new revelation if it proves out but until I see something that seems more definitive, I'll continue to believe that Allen was Zodiac. I believe it is correct to say that most long time investigators believed Zodiac was Allen. Unfortunately for the investigation he dropped dead from the effects of diabetes and heart disease when he was but 58 years old. I believe an indictment was in the process at the time. At the end of his life he pleaded with a reporter to believe he was not the Zodiac. It would have been more helpful if he had tried to take the time to work with the investigators instead of taunting them. The only suspect who ever contacted Toschi was Allen when he got out of prison on the sex deviency charges. There were no Zodiac letters during his imprisonment. As an aside, Allen had a near genius IQ, but an abject failure in life and a complete bust as to possible romantic relationships.
    So if Allen is the zodiac, how do you explain his DNA not matching the stamp on the envelope that Zodiac sent? Do you think he had someone else stamp it for him? I guess that would make sense.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,779
    Quote Originally Posted by Indianagirl View Post
    So if Allen is the zodiac, how do you explain his DNA not matching the stamp on the envelope that Zodiac sent? Do you think he had someone else stamp it for him? I guess that would make sense.
    I've tried to explain this before. We don't know how or what found its way under the stamp. I can think of a very easy way to do this. Just go along any city sidewalk and clean up spittle and take it back to his residence and wring it out into a jar and then freeze it. When the stamps are mailed, simply moisten the stamps with this substance.

    Briefly stated, since there is no chain of custody, the DNA is worthless UNLESS it can be traced definitively to another person. It is at that point that person is reeled in to do some 'splaining. Until that person is found means nothing.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,263
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Mule View Post
    I've tried to explain this before. We don't know how or what found its way under the stamp. I can think of a very easy way to do this. Just go along any city sidewalk and clean up spittle and take it back to his residence and wring it out into a jar and then freeze it. When the stamps are mailed, simply moisten the stamps with this substance.

    Briefly stated, since there is no chain of custody, the DNA is worthless UNLESS it can be traced definitively to another person. It is at that point that person is reeled in to do some 'splaining. Until that person is found means nothing.
    Thanks for your answer. I've never really followed this case, but I do remember watching a show a few years back, that had identified 3 suspects as the zodiac and they did testing on all of the suspects. DNA from the stamps couldn't be "connected" to any of those 3. I'm guessing Allen was probably one of the persons I saw on that show. I do hope they solve this case. Hopefully we will get answers soon!

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebel View Post
    So far there's not even credible evidence that the handwriting samples he presents are from Tarrance. Kaufman has tried to sell pieces of "Stine's shirt" and for a while, his website claimed Tarrance was the Texarkana Phantom as well, but I can't provide a link to prove it.

    Bear in mind that Kaufman's now pushing a movie.

    And yeah, I DO want the Zodiac case solved. Murderers shouldn't be legendary, they should be captured - or at least identified.

    Yes, I did a search last night and read that he tried to sell Tom Voigt a piece of the shirt. The Zodiac and the Original Night Stalker are two cases that definitely need to be solved.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,955
    I think Tom Voight's current POI has a lot more going as a likely suspect then Tarrence ,I dont think his step son has any credibilty after the Stine Shirt nonsense.
    Thats part of the problem California in the late 60's early 70's was a very weird place with lots of very weird people running around .
    It kind of makes for a legion of suspicious characters that one might consider as suspects.
    And the composite is so generic ...from what ive seen its almost if you were a guy, werent a longhair back then you probably looked like that.
    I think Allen was a very bent character who seemed to enjoy the notoriety of being under suspicion at least for awhile.
    Perhaps it was better to be percieved as a dangerous character like Zodiac then the pedophile that he was.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    remotely
    Posts
    42,943
    I cannot stress enough how much I am waiting to hear the results of the testing on the items, specifically the hooded outfit and the knife!!!

    I think Allen was already ruled out due to DNA not a match. I am leaning toward some creditability that the Zodiac killer may have been JT. This case reminds me of BKT, although I think Zodiac is dead.

    You can choose to be bitter or better when handling your problems.


    My posts are just my opinion and for entertainment purposes only.
    Do not copy any of my post. All post are to remain here.



    Christopher McCandless (aka Alexander Supertramp)
    2/12/1968 -8/1992 RIP you are missed.




    http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
    If you have information about Kyron Horman, please call the Tip Line at 503-261-2847 or dial 911


  11. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,189
    Tarrance was supposedly placed in all locations at the times of the murders. There was something said about him being from Lubbock, Tx. and older people here saying the term "fiddle and fart around". I'm from Lubbock, so I'd like to know more about this connection to Zodiac. I can only read the archives at T.V.'s site since he now charges a fee.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,955
    Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki View Post
    Tarrance was supposedly placed in all locations at the times of the murders. There was something said about him being from Lubbock, Tx. and older people here saying the term "fiddle and fart around". I'm from Lubbock, so I'd like to know more about this connection to Zodiac. I can only read the archives at T.V.'s site since he now charges a fee.
    Tarrance was placed at Lake Berryessa and Lake Herman RD. and the Presidio at the times of each of those murders??
    By who?

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,779
    Quote Originally Posted by arielilane View Post
    I cannot stress enough how much I am waiting to hear the results of the testing on the items, specifically the hooded outfit and the knife!!!

    I think Allen was already ruled out due to DNA not a match. I am leaning toward some creditability that the Zodiac killer may have been JT. This case reminds me of BKT, although I think Zodiac is dead.
    Allen was not ruled out as Zodiac. There were never any verified DNA or fingerprints from the known Zodiac. Since any DNA such as beneath the stamps could not be identified to ANYONE they are worthless as evidence.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Collingwood , Ontario
    Posts
    1,828
    yes he was ruled out watch bill curtis A&E trust me he was ruled out by dna and hand writing.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Coastal GA
    Posts
    108
    There were never any verified DNA or fingerprints from the known Zodiac.
    QFE. No one has been ruled out as being Zodiac; they've been ruled out as matching the Stine print or the stamp DNA. That's it.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 87
    Last Post: 07-27-2017, 04:36 AM
  2. What Do You Think Was Used As The Weapon
    By Samiya in forum Michelle Young
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-11-2006, 03:45 PM