Why are her parents coddling Casey?

AlwaysShocked

Reaction score
I ask this as a serious question. Several here have posted that they have dealt with "Casey-like" family members.

Is pretending that you believe their lies the recommended way to deal with this type of personality? How exactly do family members deal with these folks?

I cannot believe that the manner George and Cindy Anthony are using - making up explanations and excuses for the daughter's poor behavior - is what any mental health professional would recommend. Or is it?

Any input from those who have "been there" would be appreciated.

I know that I am witnessing familial dysfunction. I just would like to try to understand what I am seeing a little better, if possible.

I would probably do the same for my children. I'm envisioning myself in the Anthony's shoes and even though I'd like to say I'd turn out my child, I know in my heart I probably couldn't and I'm sure they feel guilty because they feel like if they hadn't forced Casey to have Caylee or raised her differently....

I would probably do the same for my children. I'm envisioning myself in the Anthony's shoes and even though I'd like to say I'd turn out my child, I know in my heart I probably couldn't and I'm sure they feel guilty because they feel like if they hadn't forced Casey to have Caylee or raised her differently....

Would you feel the same way if your child killed your grandchild?

Some parents desperately want to be 'friends' with their kids and have the kids like them rather than be PARENTS. Big difference, IMHO. So they want to make the kids 'happy' regardless of something being right or wrong or teaching them strong values and letting them fall on their proverbial butt and take the consequences of their actions. They think they are protecting their child but what they are teaching their kids is that the kid can screw up and ultimately get away with it because mommy or daddy or both will fix it for them and make it all better. And if that involves a crime, well, so be it.

IMHO.

For some reason, I have thought all along that the parents are somewhat afraid of Casey. Afraid of what, I'm not sure. But now that Caylee is missing, the parents are being forced to see their daughter in a whole new light, even though they are still in denial.

Just from the recorded jail phone calls, you can tell that Casey is overbearing and disrespectful to her family. I would bet that heated arguments have gone on for years between the parents and Casey. It seems that the parents let Casey "win" most of these arguments by letting her continue her self-destructive behavior.

Would you feel the same way if your child killed your grandchild?

I would be devestated. I would be angry and I would be furious, but I also wouldn't want to lose my daughter too. The Anthony's have to know that their daughter could be facing the death penalty and it's got to be a very difficult position for them. They probably know they can't save Caylee, but I'm sure they would do anything from losing another family member.

I don't think that "situational ethics" should apply in the case of a murdered child.

No matter who it is they should be punished.

I can't believe that anyone would even consider acting the way the Anthony's have.

I would be devestated. I would be angry and I would be furious, but I also wouldn't want to lose my daughter too. The Anthony's have to know that their daughter could be facing the death penalty and it's got to be a very difficult position for them. They probably know they can't save Caylee, but I'm sure they would do anything from losing another family member.

Yes, on an emotional level we can all understand the horror of what the Anthonys face & we can understand them loving their daughter no matter what.

There are different ways to show love though. (Healthy & unhealthy)

You can can support your children & help them THROUGH bad times but you sure don't have to help them AVOID taking responsibility for the mistakes they made.

Why can't the Anthony's simply say, "We love Casey & we will not abandon her" instead of sending signals that they BELIEVE IN the dysfunctional behaviors & lies Casey continually presents to the world?

IMO, the Anthonys are NOT supporting Casey in a meaningful way.... they are only HELPING her to remain just as screwed up as she was the day she 'lost' her innocent child.

I agree with you to an extent, but we're not talking about making Casey pay off her own speeding ticket or forcing her to serve detention after school. We're talking about possibly facing the death penalty.

I also think that guilt is probably really eating them up and they don't know what is appropriate behavior at this point.

If one of my relatives did the things Casey has done with the stealing alone, they would not be living with me even if it meant staying in jail and they would not come back home after getting out of jail. If I thought one killed a child, I would not be speaking to the media, would not pay for defense, and I would work with LE and look at the facts and tests straight on. I'd be thinking about longterm. If it took mind games and fantasies to try and find the body, then I would not play. What I would do is try to make sure that mental illness testing was done and that a proper legal defense was in place without my paying for it. I might write my child in jail, maybe visit a few times per year, but that's all.

I can't put myself in their shoes; I don't think anyone really can. That's why it's so hard to understand. It makes no sense, none of it, so naturally, we don't understand. I would like to think I would have held my daughter down and gotten an answer long before the day the first 911 call was made. But truthfully, I can't imagine my daughter in a situation like this to start with. I think I would suggest everyone just pray for a swift ending and love and protection for all.

I worked in banking for 26 years, however, and I saw many, many families who had money stolen by family members. It was sad just to see that...this is much worse. I did always tell my kids that I would be the first to toss them in jail if they stole from me, but talk is cheap.

Yes, on an emotional level we can all understand the horror of what the Anthonys face & we can understand them loving their daughter no matter what.

There are different ways to show love though. (Healthy & unhealthy)

You can can support your children & help them THROUGH bad times but you sure don't have to help them AVOID taking responsibility for the mistakes they made.

Why can't the Anthony's simply say, "We love Casey & we will not abandon her" instead of sending signals that they BELIEVE IN the dysfunctional behaviors & lies Casey continually presents to the world?

IMO, the Anthonys are NOT supporting Casey in a meaningful way.... they are only HELPING her to remain just as screwed up as she was the day she 'lost' her innocent child.

I'm with you 100% on that.

I agree with you to an extent, but we're not talking about making Casey pay off her own speeding ticket or forcing her to serve detention after school. We're talking about possibly facing the death penalty.

I also think that guilt is probably really eating them up and they don't know what is appropriate behavior at this point.

She could make a deal RIGHT NOW in exchange for the DP to show where her daughters body is. I'm sure LE would go for that. Choices. Casey always has/had choices.

Not a bit of sympathy for her or her parents. None.

I have tons of sympathy for the parents and family. I do not think they are pretending to believe her, I think they are desperate to believe her. This is a pretty big ordeal, I am quite sure they have never faced anything even remotely close to this level of importance. Literally life and death on several levels.

I think for those of us that have never loved casey, or didn;t give birth to her or watch her grow up, it is easy to say what are they doing? It is so obvious why don't they see it? But they are clouded by their love for her and I would wager many of us would do something similar to a point.
But I also believe that Cindy and George loved Caylee as their own and when ther are no more alternate theories, the conflict is going to be huge.
I am a very strong indivdual, but I do not know how well I would do under conditions such as these. How do you prepare or from what life expereinces do you draw to cope with your daughter killing her daughter?

ETA: But I do feel very strongly that once they see the truth, they have to make a stand as to supporting a murderer or not. But until that time, I will give them the room they need to get there. They are not hindering the case or investigation and have given officers everything they asked for. That's all they can do.
jmho of course.

I am a very strong indivdual, but I do not know how well I would do under conditions such as these. How do you prepare or from what life expereinces do you draw to cope with your daughter killing her daughter?

You don't prepare for tragedies like this.....

When things like this strike a family, that's when their true character starts to shine through. That's when we see what people are made of & what values they hold.

How do you cope? You draw on people with EXPERIENCE to help you find out how to cope & what you must do to save what's left of your family & your life.

Meanwhile what do we see....

After a full month, Cindy FINALLY agrees to contact TES to start searching for Caylee and in the very next breath she's once again lashing out & saying NOBODY is searching for Caylee? When she knows full well that it's not even close to the truth. :rolleyes:

Remember back to the jailhouse phone calls. The way that Casey spoke to her mother and giving her a hard time about the interviews she saw from jail.

Do you think its at all possible that besides not wanting to believe their granddaughter is dead, they may be playing along with Casey in hopes of finally getting her to tell where Caylee is.

Well, at least at first, I thought the parents and brother thought they could use time-tested techniques for obtaining the truth from Casey. I think this was evidenced in those initial phone calls from jail to parents and brother.

But since then, the lawyer has advised Casey not to say anything to anybody, including the police, the brother and the parents.

So there she sits, saying nothing to anyone.

Unfortunately, I don't think the child's body will ever be found.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahlm8627
Back