1077 users online (179 members and 898 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,645

    Parents killed, newborn survives car crash

    http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/3454418/

    This is so sad. Why couldn't they have just waited for the train? My prayers go out for this tiny baby and the other family and friends.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Great Lakes
    Posts
    3,052
    And the baby wasn't in a car seat?! A sad story and a miracle.
    Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. ~ Mark Twain

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,709
    He was my ex boyfriend.

    I am sad for the families, but, I just can't cry for him yet. I guess I'm still angry?

    Pray for Skylar.
    "The cure for anything is salt water- sweat, tears, or the sea." -Isak Dinensen

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    74,841
    From the article:
    The crossing has no warning lights or crossbars to indicate a train is approaching and to block access.

    Initially I thought perhaps he had gone around the gate or tried to beat the gate. I simply can not understand having NO warning what so ever for trains. I know people complain when trains sound their horns, but NO warning system? What harm would lights be? I hope whoever runs this line installs a light system after this tragic accident.

    This is so sad. Indeed a miracle the baby survived. In this case had the baby been strapped into a car seat he probably would not have. My prayers for the baby and surving family. What a tremendous loss at a time which should be joyful.
    ~JMO~

    A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown


    Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

    You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    74,841
    Quote Originally Posted by teonspaleprincess View Post
    http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/3454418/

    This is so sad. Why couldn't they have just waited for the train? My prayers go out for this tiny baby and the other family and friends.
    I am guessing he was distracted by the baby. Most parents are pretty sleep deprived with a 6 day old infant.

    This is so very very sad.
    ~JMO~

    A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown


    Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

    You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    Initially I thought perhaps he had gone around the gate or tried to beat the gate. I simply can not understand having NO warning what so ever for trains.
    The article said this:

    Authorities estimated the train was traveling at 17 to 20 mph and that the wreck was caused by a combination of Brady initially not seeing the train and his then trying to beat it to the crossing. The crossing has no warning lights or crossbars to indicate a train is approaching and to block access.

    It sounds like this was another case of a driver trying to beat the train. Considering their six day old baby, the father could have been tired and not thinking clearly.

    I live in a rural state and there are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of railroad crossings in my state that only have a sign, no gate or lights. There's lots of four way intersections with only a stop sign as well. People who live in rural areas don't usually expect the same level of warnings that people who live in urban areas live with. It's just not fiscally possible to install and maintain lights, gates, etc, and the general opinion is that they are really not needed.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    74,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Grainne Dhu View Post
    The article said this:

    Authorities estimated the train was traveling at 17 to 20 mph and that the wreck was caused by a combination of Brady initially not seeing the train and his then trying to beat it to the crossing. The crossing has no warning lights or crossbars to indicate a train is approaching and to block access.

    It sounds like this was another case of a driver trying to beat the train. Considering their six day old baby, the father could have been tired and not thinking clearly.

    I live in a rural state and there are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of railroad crossings in my state that only have a sign, no gate or lights. There's lots of four way intersections with only a stop sign as well. People who live in rural areas don't usually expect the same level of warnings that people who live in urban areas live with. It's just not fiscally possible to install and maintain lights, gates, etc, and the general opinion is that they are really not needed.
    I understand not having rails, but how expensive would it be to install lights? In rural areas how fast do trains usually travel? The only area we don't have rails, but do have lights are in industrial area's where a train might stop.

    As for the dad trying to beat the train. My initial thoughts in combination of things which occur with a newborn -and- he noticed the train at that split second your brain asks can I stop in time or can I make it. It's happened to me several times while approaching a yellow light. Then again, I don't know how long a train would take to clear a crossing traveling 17-20 mph. Here outside of Chicago we have had to change laws on how long an intersection can be blocked by a train because people have died in ambulences while waiting for a train to finish passing.
    ~JMO~

    A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown


    Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

    You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    At the Beach and in our hearts
    Posts
    8,143
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmajane View Post
    He was my ex boyfriend.

    I am sad for the families, but, I just can't cry for him yet. I guess I'm still angry?

    Pray for Skylar.
    zelmanjane, I am so very sorry. Anger is just the 1st thing you will be feeling.
    It will get better! Hoping you'll be able to attend the funeral for the parents.

    Praying the little baby makes it!

    xxxxxxxxxxoooooo
    mama

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,333
    Poor baby. Zelmanjane, did your ex-boyfriend or his fiance have family that will be able to take care Skylar once he hopefully is out of the hospital.

    I'm with the rest of you, why couldn't there be some type of warning at this railroad track? The only thing I think anyone could be angry about is why was mom sitting in the back holding her son and didn't have him in a car seat. Of course this may have been one of the rare times that the baby might have been better off without being in one. Maybe if he had he would have died in the car with his mom and dad.

    So sad. Two young people beginning their little family.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    779
    So very sad. I hope the baby makes it.

    When we came home from NY once on Amtrak, we were delayed in Virginia by a car/train crash (not our train) but the intersection had lights and alarms.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,709
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzybeth View Post
    Poor baby. Zelmanjane, did your ex-boyfriend or his fiance have family that will be able to take care Skylar once he hopefully is out of the hospital.
    I know his parents have the means to take care of the child, and I know his mother would be more than willing to do so.

    He was an only child.

    As for her family, I did not know them, I had met her. I do not think her family was well off by any stretch.

    Brannon had his own businesses, the car he was in was a Cadillac.

    I fear that her family will be angry, and since they weren't married yet, they will have rights to Skylar. I hope they don't keep him away from the Brady family, that will break his Mothers heart.

    As for him- He was an awful driver. I think that is where my anger comes from. He was wild. One of my friends and I talked about all the times we screamed while riding with him.

    Crystal was a really sweet girl, and I don't know anyone who was more excited to be parents than they were.

    Keep praying for Skylar, and thanks for your kind words.
    Last edited by zelmajane; 08-30-2008 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Sp
    "The cure for anything is salt water- sweat, tears, or the sea." -Isak Dinensen

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    74,841
    ZelmaJane

    I fear that her family will be angry, and since they weren't married yet, they will have rights to Skylar. I hope they don't keep him away from the Brady family, that will break his Mothers heart.

    This many not be the case if he signed the birth certificate or a voluntary acknowledgement of paternity at the hospital. I too hope the two families cooperate with the baby. Would be even sadder if they did not.
    ~JMO~

    A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown


    Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

    You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,655

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    74,841
    Oh No. I was hoping for a miracle for this baby. Prayers to the family and friends.
    ~JMO~

    A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown


    Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

    You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

  15. #15
    Now, they're all together.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Newborn falls through train toilet...and survives!
    By ember in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-06-2008, 01:46 AM
  2. Woman Survives Crash & Fall from Dames Point Bridge
    By sherri79 in forum News that makes you smile!
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-08-2007, 09:43 PM