MO MO - Jody Lee Ledkins, 14, Kansas City, 23 May 1985

Jody is on Project Jason's current 18 Wheel Angel campaign. A special poster has been made for her and can be downloaded and printed for placement. More information about the program, and the link for the poster can be found here:

Project Jason - Assistance for families of the missing

In addition to the campaign, Jody is also featured in a trucking publication called Through the Gears. This free magazine is distributed in truck stops nationwide.

Through the Gears is one of JB Scott's many publications. In partnership with Project Jason, they feature one missing person per month. You can pick up your free copies at a local truck stop, but if it's far from you, you may want to call and ask if they carry that magazine. These are NOT with the regular for purchase magazines. At my truck stop, they are in a special rack outside the main truck stop door. At another truck stop, they are in a hallway between the store and the trucker's lounge.

Through the Gears has a circulation of about 150,000.

You can also see the current campaign information on this JB Scott webpage: 18 Wheel Angels

We hope this helps in the search for Jody.

Kelly Jolkowski, Mother of Missing Jason Jolkowski
President and Founder,
Project Jason
Project Jason - Assistance for families of the missing
Read our Voice for the Missing Blog
Project Jason-Voice for the Missing

I wish there was more information on this case! For example, did the police interview the "friend" whose house she called her mother from? How about the boyfriend and "friends" who ditched her? I mean, hearing stories of groups of teenagers killing another teen is no longer unusual....

ledkins_jody.jpg
ledkins_jody_ap.jpg

Missing Since: May 23, 1985 from Kansas City, Missouri
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: September 20, 1970
Height and Weight: 5'1, 90 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Ledkins has a small mole under chin and a large mark under one of her arms. She wore large round eyeglasses at the time of her disappearance. Ledkins has an appendectomy scar on her abdomen. Some agencies refer to her as Jody Stratton.

Details of Disappearance

Ledkins was last seen at a friend's house in the 700 block of Cambrige Street in Kansas City, Missouri on May 23, 1985. She had an argument with her boyfriend and other friends on the day of her disappearance. She apparently wanted to accompany them to their destination, but they refused.

Ledkins walked to a nearby friend's residence and called her mother, asking for a ride home to the 2300 block of Topping Street. Her mother did not have her car and Ledkins told her she would find another ride. Ledkins was never heard from again. She did not take any money or extra clothing with her when she disappeared.

Ledkins was enrolled in a juvenile probation program at the time she disappeared. (She and a friend had had a run-in with a security guard in 1984). Her caseworker was contacted by Ledkins' mother after the disappearance. The caseworker filed two warrants for Ledkins, listing her as an endangered juvenile who should be detained by authorities if she was spotted. Ledkins's mother assumed that the warrants also meant juvenile authorities had filed a missing child report with law enforcement; they did not. Law enforcement never considered Ledkins as a missing person until 1987, two years following her disappearance, because they had not been notified. As a result, Ledkins's case was obviously extremely delayed and clues were minimal by the time the investigation began.

In 1997, police dragged the Missouri River after two prison inmates claimed they had information on the case. Their tip went nowhere, but it lead the Kansas City Police Department to reclassify Ledkins's case as a homicide. Her mother now lives in Arkansas but visits Kansas City a few times every year to search for her daughter. Ledkins's case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Kansas City Police Department
816-234-5140

Charley Project

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/6dfmo.html

NCMEC

http://icaremissingpersonscoldcases.yuku.com/forum/viewtopic/id/641

http://www.geocities.com/findjodyledkins/

http://www.missingkids.com/missingk...aseNum=601798&orgPrefix=NCMC&searchLang=en_US

http://findcarrie.blogspot.com/2006/05/what-happened-to-jody-ledkins.html

http://www.projectjason.org/forums/index.php?topic=681

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/ledkins_jody.html

Yes they did interview the friend and thats who last seen her walking.
Her friend says she is convinced that Jody was heading back to her boyfriends house.
A tidbit that I read somewhere indicated that she was pregnant with his baby.

Jody is my daughter, recently on Channel 9 News several months back in Kansas City, Missouri Jody's "friend" was interviewed here in 2013.
The interviewed went like this, I watched Jody go left toward her boyfriend's street." First of all, at 10 pm when Jody called and Missy verified the time to me that Missy stated Jody turned right to go to the quick shop store on Truman Road to meet me." This would not and is not true, I would of picked Jody up right at Missy's grandmother's house if I had a car to pick her up in. Plus, the parent of Missy would of not let her go that direction. Example, that night before Jody called, Missy and her mother also named Karen told me they walked with Jody to the boyfriend's house because they did not want anything to happen to her. Why would they let her walk to Truman Road, yet this is not what Missy told the news channel.
Missy admits herself and her family is messed up on drugs to my other daughter why would her statement be creditable?
Missy lied on that news interviewed, so why would someone lie there must be a reason. Missy is on FB by the name of Folscroft.

Thank You Karen.
I am a school bus driver and drive around that neighborhood frequently and I always think about this case.
There is much conflicting information.
I read that she was in a house on cambridge then I read that she was on 14 street then I read that she was walking north on Winchester (away from home).
My gut tells me that all those involved are hiding something, especially the boyfriend.
Is that guy still around here?

Teenage love is a serious situation we all go through, but Jody Ledkins' experience may have been worse than me and you. . .
97108431_345624026831449_5533304743662714880_o.jpg

Last Known Location Map
Thirty-five years ago a 14-year-old girl disappeared from the Northeast Kansas City area and was never seen again. On the day of her disappearance, 14 year old Jody was hanging out with her boyfriend and some of his friends when she found herself in a heated disagreement about where they we going. She apparently wanted to accompany them to their destination, but they refused.
Angry, Jody stormed off into the Kansas City night, reportedly walking around the corner to a friend's house. It was there that she called her mother for a ride home, only to be told that mother did not have her car.
Jody said she would find a ride home to the 2300 block of Topping Street, but reportedly left the friend's house on May 23, 1985 never to be seen again.
Her boyfriend’s house was at 704 Cambrige Street in Kansas City, Missouri, her friend was at 6839 E. 14th. Reportedly she was last seen walking northbound on Winchester from 14th Street. Then she was gone.
Jody did not have any money or extra clothing with her on this spring night. She was enrolled in a juvenile probation program at the time she disappeared for having had a run-in in which she pushed a security guard in 1984, and she also may have been pregnant.
Ledkins’s mother apparently didn't file a missing person until 1987, two years following her disappearance. She claimed that because her daughter's caseworker had filed two warrants for Ledkins, listing her as an endangered juvenile who should be detained by authorities if she was spotted, she didn't realize she needed to file a missing person report. As a result law enforcement never considered Ledkins a missing person nor investigated her disappearance during that time. This obviously extremely compromised the investigation, making clues minimal by the time the investigation began.
In 1997, police dragged the Missouri River after two prison inmates claimed they had information on the case. Their tip went nowhere, but it lead the Kansas City Police Department to reclassify Ledkins’s case as a homicide as they now suspect foul play and the investigation is ongoing.
Jody’s mother, who has since moved out of state, believes some people know more than they are telling authorities and that this case can be solved if the right tip is generated. Do you hold the key to unlocking this decades old mystery?
LITTLE ELSE IS KNOWN AT THIS TIME.
  • Height: 5'1" (155 cm)
  • Hair: Blonde/brown
  • Eyes: Blue
  • DNA: Available
  • Dentals: Not available.
  • Marks/Scars: Appendectomy scar. Small mole under her chin and a large birthmark under her arm. Ledkins wore eyeglasses with large square plastic frames. Her mother states she had “perfect” teeth.
96819946_345670446826807_9119392497821286400_n.png

The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children prepared age-enhanced photographs of what Jody might look like in more recent years.
VIEW POSTER
PRINT A POSTER
AGENCY CASE NUMBER: 87-165981
NCMEC NUMBER: 601798
NCIC NUMBER: M-800796774

If you have any information please contact:
Missing Persons - Kansas City Police Department
816-234-5136
or Email
or make an anonymous report to the NCMEC
or Submit an Anonymous Tip
or contact the Kansas City Metro Crime Stoppers either on the ‎TIPS Hotline at at 816-474-TIPS (8477), or Submit a tip anonymously online or download the NEW mobile app, P3TIPS, on Google Play or the Apple iOS stores for FREE. ALL INFORMATION IS ANONYMOUS.
Spread Awareness Now
Verify active missing status here.
See others missing from Kansas City
On mobile click here to return to units
Click here to return to Units from your desktop
Did you know that Spread Awareness Now is available across social media platforms?
Be sure to like, follow, and subscribe to us on
Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube!

I don't believe she was ever associated in police reports with Gregory Breeden, but wasn't he trolling around there / Northeast area where she went missing during those years? He was eventually associated with the Missouri River bodies and another missing person, Tracy Ramsey.

Jody Lee Ledkins – The Charley Project

Jody Lee Ledkins
jody_lee_ledkins_1.jpg
jody_lee_ledkins_2.jpg
jody_lee_ledkins_3.jpg
jody_lee_ledkins_4.jpg

Jody, circa 1985; Age-progression to age 44 (circa 2014)

Details of Disappearance
Jody was last seen at her boyfriend's house in the 700 block of Cambridge Street in Kansas City, Missouri on May 23, 1985. She had an argument with her boyfriend and other friends on the day of her disappearance. She apparently wanted to accompany them to their destination, but they refused.

Jody walked to a friend's residence near east 14th Street and Winchester Avenue and, at 10:00 p.m., she called her mother, Karen Stratton, and asked for a ride home to the 6800 block of east Topping Street. Stratton did not have her car and Jody told her she had friends who could give her a ride. When she left her friend's house, her friend assumed she was going back to her boyfriend's. She was last seen walking northbound on Winchester from 14th Street. She was never heard from again. She did not take any money or extra clothing with her when she disappeared.

Jody was enrolled in a juvenile probation program at the time she disappeared. (She and a friend had had a run-in with a security guard in 1984, and Jody had also been in trouble for truancy). After her disappearance, Stratton contacted her caseworker and the caseworker filed two warrants, listing Jody as an endangered juvenile who should be detained by authorities if she was spotted.

Stratton assumed that the warrants also meant juvenile authorities had filed a missing child report with law enforcement; they had not. Law enforcement never considered Jody as a missing person until 1987, two years following her disappearance, because they had not been notified. As a result, Jody's case was obviously extremely delayed and clues were minimal by the time the investigation began.

Jody's probation officer got a letter about four years after Jody was last seen. The writer claimed to be Jody and said she was doing well and one day she might say why she decided to leave. Stratton compared the handwriting with a previous letter Jody had written her probation officer, but isn't sure whether or not it's the same writing.

In 1993, Stratton got a series of threatening phone calls at her home that lasted two years. The caller(s) demanded money in exchange for Jody's safe return and at one point threatened to send Jody's body to her "in pieces." Stratton started recording the calls and sent them to the police, who traced them to a Kansas City phone booth, but the caller(s) were never identified. In 1997, police dragged the Missouri River after two prison inmates claimed they had information on the case. Their tip went nowhere, but it led the Kansas City Police Department to reclassify Jody's case as a probable homicide.

Stratton now lives in Arkansas but visits Kansas City a few times every year to search for her daughter. She stated Jody's home life in 1985 was dysfunctional and Stratton didn't get along with her father, and she thinks it's possible her daughter deliberately chose to leave. Investigators have also considered that theory, but they think that whatever the cause of Jody's disappearance, something might have happened that jeopardized her safety. Jody's case remains unsolved.

According to this article (and Charley Project): In 1993, Stratton started receiving threatening phone calls at home, which lasted for two years. The callers would often demand money in exchange for Ledkins.

Stratton recorded the calls and sent them to the police. Investigators traced the calls back to a pay phone in the Kansas City area, but no one was ever identified as the caller.

In this transcript, the caller said, "If we don't get the money, your daughter will be sent to you in pieces."

This seems odd. Why would anyone kidnap a girl for ransom whose "home life in 1985 was dysfunctional", living in not the best neighborhood in the city, from a single mom who probably doesn't have money for ransom? It's not like she was the daughter of someone locally prestigious. Unless maybe she owed money for drugs or something?

Was the ransom amount ever mentioned?
Was it established who this "Lori" was that was mentioned by the caller? The mom seemed to know "Lori" so assuming it was a relative or friend.
Could Lori have been in on it and that's why the caller wanted to talk to her?
Did the mother ever try to offer the caller some money for the ransom?
Why did the caller stop calling after two years if the money was so important? Either they knew she was dead already or it was a sick hoax from opportunists that knew of Jody's disappearance from media. And obviously they never sent any "pieces" of Jody to the mother either. It would be safe to say if they were serious, they could have sent a finger or something as proof.
Perhaps the calls were even a guise to throw everyone off track.

Also, I'm not a handwriting analyst by any means, but I don't think the handwriting in the letters match. For example, in the letter to the probation officer received years after the disappearance, the capital "I" is written like a "J", dissimilar from the more cursive "I" in the letter to the mother. Investigators should have at least acquired handwriting samples from all those involved / "persons of interest" and see if anyone wrote the "I" like a "J". Perhaps they did and didn't reveal their findings?

Last edited:
^ ^ ^
This seems odd. Why would anyone kidnap a girl for ransom whose "home life in 1985 was dysfunctional", living in not the best neighborhood in the city, from a single mom who probably doesn't have money for ransom? It's not like she was the daughter of someone locally prestigious. Unless maybe she owed money for drugs or something?

Since I couldn't add to my previous post, I wanted to clarify that in no way, shape, or form am I insinuating that Jody was on drugs. It was just a hypothetical theory.

I wish there was more information on this case! For example, did the police interview the "friend" whose house she called her mother from? How about the boyfriend and "friends" who ditched her? I mean, hearing stories of groups of teenagers killing another teen is no longer unusual....

Agreed. It really seems probable that someone Jody knew like a friend most likely knows what happened to her, or are possibly even involved somehow. And I too would like to know what they ever found out about "Lori", beings how she was the one named in the phone calls.

Last edited:
97108431_345624026831449_5533304743662714880_o.jpg

Jody did not have any money or extra clothing with her on this spring night. She was enrolled in a juvenile probation program at the time she disappeared for having had a run-in in which she pushed a security guard in 1984, and she also may have been pregnant.

Curious as to who thought she "may have been" pregnant and who reported it to LE. Boyfriend? Friend? Mother? It could be significant as to who did or didn't know.
Was this mere speculation by this person/s? Or did Jody actually tell someone she may have been pregnant?
Who was allegedly the father of the baby? The boyfriend presumably?

It seems like the remark "may have been pregnant" was mentioned way too casually regarding something that could have been a possible motive. There's no doubt that having a baby with a 14 year old would cause a lot of headaches in a young man's life. Not implying that the baby's father is guilty, but it's definitely worth considering as a possible motive.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back