1011 users online (166 members and 845 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Hi SherlockJr good work!
    I read all now!
    Thank you, best regards, raf

RAF:

Excellent work. The one thing that I did see though is the composite pictures of Margaret including the one with the man on the table could not be her. It was from the late 1950's and Margaret had lost her nurses license in the early 1950's.
    Order the book "Searching For Anna" directly from [URL="http://www.lulu.com/conte

Right mr Doogie...
    maybe the year picture is incorrect...by face seeming she... but as you saying cannot be she... regards, raf

Quote Originally Posted by raf View Post
    Right mr Doogie...
    maybe the year picture is incorrect...by face seeming she... but as you saying cannot be she... regards, raf
    Didn't we establish the fact that Margaret worked at Letterman? Possibly the date on the picture IS wrong, since the photograph certainly looks like the young Margaret.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Annasmom View Post
    Didn't we establish the fact that Margaret worked at Letterman? Possibly the date on the picture IS wrong, since the photograph certainly looks like the young Margaret.
    Thinking that perhaps the photo of MK posted by raf may be an archieved photo. Looks like credit was given to US Army.
    I do not know where the photo came from, but was just reading up on Letterman and it's history. The name change to Letterman General did not occur until 1960.
    There are a lot of footnotes in this article sighting the hospital paper 'The Horn".
    I truely believe it could be an old phot perhaps in a 1959 publication. This happens all the time when pics are 5, 10 years old and just reprinted if it i the only (or best) picture of something they are trying to demonstrate.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/goga/prsf...mpson/tt11.pdf

info on page 28.

Pls forgive my english also. Non native speaker over here in Norway where it i almost 2am--like in Italy.

raf- would love to get link of the photo of the nurse next to man on tilted bed.
    thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by petra View Post
    Thinking that perhaps the photo of MK posted by raf may be an archieved photo. Looks like credit was given to US Army.
    I do not know where the photo came from, but was just reading up on Letterman and it's history. The name change to Letterman General did not occur until 1960.
    There are a lot of footnotes in this article sighting the hospital paper 'The Horn".
    I truely believe it could be an old phot perhaps in a 1959 publication. This happens all the time when pics are 5, 10 years old and just reprinted if it i the only (or best) picture of something they are trying to demonstrate.

info on page 28.

Pls forgive my english also. Non native speaker over here in Norway where it i almost 2am--like in Italy.

raf- would love to get link of the photo of the nurse next to man on tilted bed.
    thanks all.
    Petra, thank you for tracking down the Letterman information. Your English is fine! I think it's amazing that this forum now has contacts in Italy, Greece, Croatia, England, Canada and now Norway. Perfectly astonishing.

We know that "Russell" travelled to California with MArgaret. This Russell died in California. Sounds like he could be our guy.
    Order the book "Searching For Anna" directly from [URL="http://www.lulu.com/conte

Wow--great work! I did a zabaseach, and there was still a Russell DeVor listed in Glendale, CA as of 2002. Perhaps a spouse or a son? I wish I still lived in LA, I would take a drive over!

The California Death Index for the Russell DeVor from Glendale, CA is for a Russell Vernell DeVor, and I thought I saw earlier that someone had posted that the Russell from Poughkeepsie is a Russell Arthur DeVor. Interestingly enough, SSDI lists his birthplace as Michigan, but the California index lists birthplace as Illinois.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doogie View Post
    We know that "Russell" travelled to California with MArgaret. This Russell died in California. Sounds like he could be our guy.
    Hi Dr Doogie, the record abt Russell, found by SherlockHolmes jr, it is not the same Russell Arthur DeVor on MK article... I made a little search and really was another R A DeVor in Michigan in 1930 census, as a well it are the right RA DeVor in Ducthess, NY, 1930 census... but all is possible.... never to say never... regards, raf

info on page 28.

thanks all.
    Hi Petra, the URL picture:
    http://history.amedd.army.mil/booksd...tCorps/147.jpg
    the URL webpage http://history.amedd.army.mil/booksd...ps/default.htm, click on Tilt table improvised from X-ray table, Letterman General Hospital, San Francisco, Calif., 1959
    Regards, raf

Quote Originally Posted by raf View Post
    Hi Petra, the URL picture:
    http://history.amedd.army.mil/booksd...tCorps/147.jpg
    the URL webpage http://history.amedd.army.mil/booksd...ps/default.htm, click on Tilt table improvised from X-ray table, Letterman General Hospital, San Francisco, Calif., 1959
    Regards, raf
    Thank you, raf.
    I appreciate the link and am getting too involved in reading all the info from the beginning.
    I was thinking that the picture could actually be taken earlier, since the name of the hospital was not changed to Letterman General in 1960, yet that is the name in the caption under the photo....so it could have been an earlier archieved photo collected for publication during 1959.

I hope that makes sense.

Also trying to look at the nurse uniforms to see if they were changed or updated style-wise by 1959. The nurses caps look all the same to me!!!
    Although, there are sites to museums and history of nursing uniforms on line that I was reading last night. Got as far west as England!! Lots to look at.

Anyone look at Vasser Nursing School yearbooks yet?

Thank you, raf.
    I appreciate the link and am getting too involved in reading all the info from the beginning.
    I was thinking that the picture could actually be taken earlier, since the name of the hospital was not changed to Letterman General in 1960, yet that is the name in the caption under the photo....so it could have been an earlier archieved photo collected for publication during 1959.

I hope that makes sense.

Also trying to look at the nurse uniforms to see if they were changed or updated style-wise by 1959. The nurses caps look all the same to me!!!
    Although, there are sites to museums and history of nursing uniforms on line that I was reading last night. Got as far west as England!! Lots to look at.

Anyone look at Vasser Nursing School yearbooks yet?
    Since Vassar is in New York state, it is looking more and more as if that might be the place to look for Margaret, Russell and GB. Petra, you are right to point out that the "General" was added to the name later, though the hospital was always called Letterman...

Margaret's Home Town

It's looking more and more as if Margaret Kukoda comes from Poughkeepsie, N.Y. and went to the Vassar Hospital Training School for Nurses, which apparently merged with Columbia some time ago and doesn't exist by the same name. There is a Vassar Brothers Medical Center in Poughkeepsie. I don't know how we would go about checking yearbooks or school records, under the circumstances.

So does this mean that this is not the same Margaret Kukoda that Doogie contacted the family? If so, why didn't they state that she had gone to nursing school in NY?

Quote Originally Posted by Annasmom View Post
    It's looking more and more as if Margaret Kukoda comes from Poughkeepsie, N.Y. and went to the Vassar Hospital Training School for Nurses, which apparently merged with Columbia some time ago and doesn't exist by the same name. There is a Vassar Brothers Medical Center in Poughkeepsie. I don't know how we would go about checking yearbooks or school records, under the circumstances.

I thought it was established already either in the forum here, or thru an e-mail from another member that MK did attend Vassar Nursing School.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast