1410 users online (223 members and 1187 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NJshrink View Post
    Any idea why the death certificate, which did not appear to have "the official seal" was dated in 1982 if she died in 1967? Just an aside, I actually worked at Vassar Hospital as a teen many, many years ago. There were two hospitals that trained nurses in the area. This was the one for those who were not Catholic.
    This death certificate was ordered by Joe & Annasmom after the death of GW.

Vassar Hospital Training School for Nurses - Yearbook

I just received the following information about Margaret K. graduating from the Vassar Hospital Training School for Nurses in Poughkeepsie, NY.

"Hi,

I found her in the 1938 School of Nursing Yearbook. Attached is a PDF with the cover of the Yearbook, the first page listing her as one of the literary editors, and her senior photo with text.

Unfortunately, we don't have a class picture for 1938.

Our comprehensive alumni list has her name in the listing for Class of 1938 graduates, with address listed as "unknown" (at the time of the printing of the listing in 1973).

I hope this is helpful.

Regards,

M.J.

VBMC Medical Library"

Wonderful KivaSupporter; only: WONDERFUL!
    kisses, Raf

Wow KivaSupporter!
    Nursing training within a hospital is a 3 year program. She was most likely 21 yo in 1938 if she entered right after H.S. I have not looked to match up her possible birth date and date of death to see if 21 yo matches.

Now she can be identified in any pictures when she is in her nursing cap. That is symbolic to any nurse to where they graduated from. This was always the way we knew where a nurse graduated from.

I saw PA...so I assume her residence was Easton, PENN. before nursing school?
    “It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." ~Mark Twain~

Thank you Raf and Mom.

I believe her DOB is 1917.

Quote Originally Posted by momto3kids View Post
    Wow KivaSupporter!
    Nursing training within a hospital is a 3 year program. She was most likely 21 yo in 1938 if she entered right after H.S. I have not looked to match up her possible birth date and date of death to see if 21 yo matches.

Now she can be identified in any pictures when she is in her nursing cap. That is symbolic to any nurse to where they graduated from. This was always the way we knew where a nurse graduated from.

I saw PA...so I assume her residence was PA before nursing school.

From the previous posts, we know she was living in Poughkeepsie in 1939 and 1941. The yearbook photo was published with the following article.

The Poughkeepsie Star Enterprise
    May 25, 1939

Alumnae Chairman

MARGARET KUKODA is chairman of arrangements for a reception and dinner to be given by members of the Vassar Hospital Alumnae at the Nelson house
    Thursday night, June 8, in honor of members of the 1939 graduating class of the Vassar Hospital Training School for Nurses.

The reception will be held at 7:30 o'clock and dinner will be served at 8 o'clock.

Assisting Miss Kukoda are: Elsie Taher, Hortense Marchessault, Christine Bruno and Doris Davis.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Poughkeepsie Star Enterprise
    June 9, 1939

150 Attend Dinner Given by Alumnae Group
    Approximately 150 attended the dinner given last night by the Alumnae Association of Vassar hospital for members of the class of 1939, at the Nelson house.

The dinner tables were decorated with the class flower, Talisman roses, and class colors, in brown and gold. Margaret M. Kukoda, chairman of arrangement for the dinner, was the toastmistress.

The address of welcome was given by Mrs. Evelyn Lawrence Kerrigan, president of the Alumnae association, and Kathryn Tripp made the response.

Elsie Tachudin read the class will and Alfreda Czech the class prophecy.

A talk "Over the Tea Cups," was given by Doris Davis, and Helen Ranung presented a piano solo. Music was supplied by the Harmonica band, directed by J. L. L. Chisholm. John Bossik gave a violin solo.

Assisting Miss Kukoda with arrangements were: Hortense Marcheauuit, Christine Bruno, Miss Davis, and Miss Taber.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

POUGHKEEPSIE NEW YORKER - Continuing Poughkeepsie Evening Star Enterprise

July 28, 1941

Mr. and Mrs. DeVor Give Picnic Entertainment for Guests

Mr and Mrs. Charles DeVor of [illegible] Avenue, were hosts at a picnic supper at their home, last night. The guests ate out of doors and used a new fire place designed and built by Mr. DeVor.

In the afternoon and after the supper the guests participated in the series of games.

Attending were Deborah Roraine Beacon, Mr. and Mrs. Earl DeVor and children. Jeanne and Randall, Mr. and Mrs. Jack DeVor, Russell DeVor, Margaret Kukoda, Everard DeVor, Hazel Sprouse, Mr and Mrs. J. L. Cochran, Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Warringer, Mrs. Harry L. Rouse, Charles Velth and Mr. and Mrs. Charles DeVor.
    Last edited by KivaSupporter; 09-22-2008 at 08:01 PM.

I've looked and this seems to be the only thread that I can find about Margaret...So I will post a couple of thoughts here. I've read elsewhere (on this forum) that Margaret was arrested at some point and that she also seems to have changed her last name to "Kay" in 1959. Does anyone know what she was arrested for? Did anyone find out any other information about the name change? Did she in fact marry???

Also - Am I the only one who finds it very suspicious that the George's told Margaret's family that she had died in a car accident when in fact, she had been in a coma for a while and had died of cancer??? Isn't it odd that she supposedly died on her 50th birthday? Could she have died sometime in August with the G's set on having her papers read that she died on her birthday.

Also, wasn't Anna born about a month and half after Margaret's supposed death??? I'm confused about this. I've seen posts by Dr. Dougie stating that GW claimed that Anna was Margaret re-incarnated but that she in fact was still alive when Anna was born...Was Margaret's date of death August 3, 1967? Was Anna born September 25, 1967? Just looking for confirmation on this data?

(The G's knew that Margaret was dying and they knew that a child was about to be born...Could they have "rigged" this entire scenario for themselves from the "get go"?)

Also - I hate to be so blunt but I will be . After having read everything I've been able to find on this duo - I do think that these two were homosexual. If not homosexual; then bisexual.

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Pink Panther View Post
    I've looked and this seems to be the only thread that I can find about Margaret...So I will post a couple of thoughts here. I've read elsewhere (on this forum) that Margaret was arrested at some point and that she also seems to have changed her last name to "Kay" in 1959. Does anyone know what she was arrested for? Did anyone find out any other information about the name change? Did she in fact marry???

Also - Am I the only one who finds it very suspicious that the George's told Margaret's family that she had died in a car accident when in fact, she had been in a coma for a while and had died of cancer??? Isn't it odd that she supposedly died on her 50th birthday? Could she have died sometime in August with the G's set on having her papers read that she died on her birthday.

Also, wasn't Anna born about a month and half after Margaret's supposed death??? I'm confused about this. I've seen posts by Dr. Dougie stating that GW claimed that Anna was Margaret re-incarnated but that she in fact was still alive when Anna was born...Was Margaret's date of death August 3, 1967? Was Anna born September 25, 1967? Just looking for confirmation on this data?

(The G's knew that Margaret was dying and they knew that a child was about to be born...Could they have "rigged" this entire scenario for themselves from the "get go"?)

Also - I hate to be so blunt but I will be . After having read everything I've been able to find on this duo - I do think that these two were homosexual. If not homosexual; then bisexual.

Just my two cents.
    Margaret sold Mary Kay cosmetics for a while and she used that name. However, remember that there were lots of name changes around GB's sphere of influence. I think you are right about the birth and death dates, but I would have to look them up. I have no insight whatsoever into GB's and GW's thinking. Very little about it ever made sense to me. Margaret's dying on her birthday was strange, but at this point she was in a city facility with a regular (that is, not influenced by GB) doctor, so I think it is a coincidence...that is, if you believe in coincidences! Margaret never married, as far as we know.

The desk clerk at the last hotel GB and GW stayed at thought they were a gay couple, but I never witnessed any sort of chemistry or that kind of interest between them, and that sort of thing is usually hard to disguise.

Margaret was arrested and lost her nursing license because she performed a procedure which was illegal at that time. I don't know that her east coast family knew about this. I don't know why they said she had died in an accident.

Good questions..thank you!

I have read everything that I can read here and I believe that Dr. D was in contact with Margaret's family at some point...Did they shed any light on GB? They seem to have been aware that he was her "boyfriend" and that they had gone to California together. Did they know/shed any light whatsoever on anything else related to him?

BTW - Based on what I've managed to discern so far, Margaret was most probably a lesbian or bisexual herself and she and GB had a friendship that included "covering" for each other. As I understand it, they never married - did they? I think that this most probably has no relevance to Anna's disappearance - it's just what I perceive from this very strange relationship.

Margaret's dying on her birthday is very strange and given the behaviors of the two G's, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that they either fudged the documents or had a hand in the final demise. I realize that she died in a hospital but, according to what you explain, she was to some degree under the cure of GW so the hospital was obviously allowing treatments that weren't necessarily of their account.

jMO

I don't have the death record before me at this time, but if I remember, Margaret was born in the Spring of 1917, not on Aug. 3. I believe a mistake was made when filling out the death record and the date of death was accidently placed in the date of birth box. Ok, I found it and attached a copy. When they typed in the dob, it looks like the year was erased and changed to 1917.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by SherlockJr View Post
    I don't have the death record before me at this time, but if I remember, Margaret was born in the Spring of 1917, not on Aug. 3. I believe a mistake was made when filling out the death record and the date of death was accidently placed in the date of birth box. Ok, I found it and attached a copy. When they typed in the dob, it looks like the year was erased and changed to 1917.
    Agreed. The death certificate looks suspect but given that there has been contact with Margaret's family, has her date of birth never been verified? Was she born in the US? Is there no official record of her birth date?

Hi all.. just some new info abt Margaret Kukoda...
    I have not the Footnote subscription but I found some articles abt MK, but I can read only a very little part of articles....
    around WWII (1943/4)time seeming that MK, Navy nurse, was in:

-Preglesville (article of 13 feb 1944 News - Poughkeepsie Journal pag 6... but I cannot find this town maybe the spelling is partial or no correct);
    -Norfolk, VA( article of 13-Feb-1944 and 10-May-1944 both in News - Poughkeepsie Journal );
    -St Albans, Long Island, NY( in 12-Mar-1944 News - Poughkeepsie Journal pag 6A)
    the MK name is mentioned in Buddy Bond Honor Roll in article of 20 feb 1944 News - Poughkeepsie Journal
    that mean that MK met GB in the ending of WWII
    if someone have the Footnote subscription abt this articles http://www.footnote.com/search.php?q...nav=0&start=21
    it can give us more details...
    all the best,
    raf

I have the articles now... thanks to my Valarie genealogist friend.....

source:
    Publication Title: Poughkeepsie Journal
    Content Source: Gannett
    Content Partner: Gannett
    Place: Dutchess County
    Footnote Publication Year: 2009
    Language: English
    State: New York
    Short Description: The "Poughkeepsie Journal" is the oldest newspaper in New York state, a publication that has reported on important national and regional news since 1785.
    Year: 1944
    Month: February
    Day: 13
    Page: 6
    Volume: LXII
    Number: 257
    http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3416/page6wd.jpg
    MK from Preglesville, PA at Norfolk, VA

source:
    Short Description: The "Poughkeepsie Journal" is the oldest newspaper in New York state, a publication that has reported on important national and regional news since 1785.
    Month: March
    Day: 12
    Page: 4A
    Number: 285
    Naval Hospital, St Albans, Long Island, NY
    http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/290/page4ab.jpg
    with picture and address;

source:
    Year: 1945
    Month: May
    Day: 23
    Page: 8
    Volume: LXIII
    Number: 354

again DeVor friendship
    http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/867/page8cu.jpg

source:
    Month: May
    Day: 10

Page: 16
    Number: 344

MK in Virginia
    http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/1898/page16.jpg

source:
    Month: February
    Day: 20

Page: 11
    Number: 264

MK: Buddy Bond Honor Roll
    http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/5692/page11xr.jpg

source:
    Year: 1943
    Month: December
    Day: 12

Page: 4A
    Number: 194

MK in service
    http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/2005/page4a.jpg

source:

Year: 1942
    Month: June
    Day: 11

Page: 7
    Section: Society
    Volume: 82
    Number: 159
    MK: Vassar alumnae dinner
    http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/5...cietypage7.jpg

all the best,
    raf

Quote Originally Posted by raf View Post
    Hi all.. just some new info abt Margaret Kukoda...
    I have not the Footnote subscription but I found some articles abt MK, but I can read only a very little part of articles....
    around WWII (1943/4)time seeming that MK, Navy nurse, was in:

-Preglesville (article of 13 feb 1944 News - Poughkeepsie Journal pag 6... but I cannot find this town maybe the spelling is partial or no correct);
    -Norfolk, VA( article of 13-Feb-1944 and 10-May-1944 both in News - Poughkeepsie Journal );
    -St Albans, Long Island, NY( in 12-Mar-1944 News - Poughkeepsie Journal pag 6A)
    the MK name is mentioned in Buddy Bond Honor Roll in article of 20 feb 1944 News - Poughkeepsie Journal
    that mean that MK met GB in the ending of WWII
    if someone have the Footnote subscription abt this articles http://www.footnote.com/search.php?q...nav=0&start=21
    it can give us more details...
    all the best,
    raf
    Hi Raf,

I have a Footnote subscription if you ever need anything looked up.

The only entry in Footnote for Margaret Kukoda is the 1930 census (see below).

Census - US Federal 1930 … Pennsylvania » BUCKS » DURHAM TWP » 9-25 » Sheet 6b

Kukoda, Margaret (b: 1917*)
    Household: Kukoda, Anthony (b: 1874*)

Kukoda, Esther (b: 1885*)

Kukoda, Stephen (b: 1908*)

Kukoda, Joseph (b: 1911*)

HI OzzieMum,
    thanks, we have the censuses and now also the articles of MK in WWII... I believe that GB met MK in San Francisco... when she worked in Letterman Hospital....
    all the best,
    raf

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast