Singer-actor Jerry Reed dies at the age of 71

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Jerry Reed, a singer who became a good ol' boy actor in car chase movies like "Smokey and the Bandit," has died of complications from emphysema at 71.

His longtime booking agent, Carrie Moore-Reed, no relation to the star, said Reed died early Monday.

"He's one of the greatest entertainers in the world. That's the way I feel about him," Moore-Reed said.

Sony BMG Nashville Chairman Joe Galante called Reed a larger-than-life personality.

"Everything about Jerry was distinctive: his guitar playing, writing, voice and especially his sense of humor," Galante said. "I was honored to have worked with him."

As a singer in the 1970s and early 1980s, Reed had a string of hits that included "Amos Moses," "When You're Hot, You're Hot," "East Bound and Down," "She Got the Goldmine (I Got the Shaft)" and "The Bird."

In the mid-1970s, he began acting in movies such as "Smokey and the Bandit" with Burt Reynolds, usually as a good ol' boy. But he was an ornery heavy in "Gator," directed by Reynolds, and a hateful coach in 1998's "The Waterboy," starring Adam Sandler.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080902...d&printer=1;_ylt=Arzs9szuWgWUHW5OSKkAo1RY24cA

Reed was great in Smokey and the Bandit -- one of my favorite 70s comedies.

RIP Jerry Reed

So sad he was a great singer and actor. He will be missed terribly.

RIP Jerry

I really liked Jerry Reed. Smokey and the Bandit was a great movie. We bought the boxed set. Guess what we will be watching tonight?

Cletus AKA Snowman and Fred. What a team! One line I will always remember from the first one, "Fred is lookin' a little thin in the skin!" Yep, Fred could have missed a hamburger or two and no one would have ever noticed! LOL

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back