Question about the Camera?

Cagney

Out of the corner!
Reaction score
I haven't seen this discussed anywhere, and its kinda been bothering me...........
Everyone that was interviewed seemed to be hell bent on June 9th date.
Then the pics from the Father's Day visit at teh nursing home surfaced.
Time Stamped the 16th.

My question is this.......Anytime I change the batteries, or charge the batteries in my camera I have to reset the date and time.

When I upload pics to my computer, the date shows the date that I actually upload them rather than the time stamp.

So how do we know that the time stamp was correct?

My thinking is this- When I alter a file on my hard drive, there is a built in feature that shows when the doc was created and when it was last altered.

Since camera's use a memory card, do they have the same feature?

I may be able to clear some of this up.

LE verified that Caylee was at the nursing home on June 15th, Father's Day, through the sign-in sheet. According to the video, it was a nursing home environment with a Father's Day card on the table while she reads her book.

Oh ok thanks! I was under the impression that it was due to a time stamp on one of the pics.

I haven't seen this discussed anywhere, and its kinda been bothering me...........
Time Stamped the 16th.

My question is this.......Anytime I change the batteries, or charge the batteries in my camera I have to reset the date and time.

When I upload pics to my computer, the date shows the date that I actually upload them rather than the time stamp.

My thinking is this- When I alter a file on my hard drive, there is a built in feature that shows when the doc was created and when it was last altered.

My little Flip Video maintains the time and date when I have to change the batteries.

Regarding pictures taken on that particular day "Father's Day", the background and surroundings are cleaing in the nursing home.

Oh ok thanks! I was under the impression that it was due to a time stamp on one of the pics.

I think that's the impression many of us were under until the 400 page report came out that LE actually did check the sign-in sheet at the nursing home and confirmed Caylee was there that day.

Much welcome...

Re: the camera. It's in the discovery documents how to read the Cool Pix's information. The date the picture is taken is ENCODED in the image somehow. The explanation is in the first dozen or so pages of discovery (which I do not have in front of me).

Tech talk: your camera is like a little programmed hard drive all by itself in which when a pic is snapped all info from date and time, aperture and shutter speed used, to when it was last modified in-camera, ends up embedded in the pic... the info is called EXIF data. The info on the media card is not controlled by the media card itself, pretty much... it's the camera's brain that does the info gathering and marking. The date in the EXIF data does hinge on what date was programmed in to it...

(personal/helpful camera advice: if you are having to reprogram the time every time you start your camera up, then it is probably a sign that your camera's internal battery needs replacing. Usually it is small round and flat and hidden away... your camera manual should tell you what kind of battery it is... it can easily be replace at a camera shop. :) )

Tech talk: your camera is like a little programmed hard drive all by itself in which when a pic is snapped all info from date and time, aperture and shutter speed used, to when it was last modified in-camera, ends up embedded in the pic... the info is called EXIF data. The info on the media card is not controlled by the media card itself, pretty much... it's the camera's brain that does the info gathering and marking. The date in the EXIF data does hinge on what date was programmed in to it...

(personal/helpful camera advice: if you are having to reprogram the time every time you start your camera up, then it is probably a sign that your camera's internal battery needs replacing. Usually it is small round and flat and hidden away... your camera manual should tell you what kind of battery it is... it can easily be replace at a camera shop. :) )

In the first document of the 400 page release it is explained that the date on the exif is dependent on the camera settings at the time the pic was taken. They went on to explain that looking into the date imbedded within the memory card itself verified the June 15th date because the data within the memory card matched the camera's exif info.

ETA: It seemed to me they were saying that because the memory card recorded the 15th then the exif info is correct. IOW, the memory card contains the actual date while the camera's exif is dependent on the settings used at the time.

So many have wondered and still wonder about the pic and videos from the rest home Fathers Day visit. If there are any camera techs out here, there is a question needing answered! According to LE docs, the memory card from the Nikon camera showed the date of June 15 for the date of those pics. IF the camera date was set ahead, would that change the date on the memory card or not? That would be the only way the date of these pics could possibly be earlier than June 15! Seems so simple just to set the date you would like it to be on your camera and that would give the date you set it to on the memory card, is this correct or is it not possible? Some folks dont even set the camera dates at all. HELP verify the date of June 15 on this memory card if possible! Is it changable or not? Does anyone actually know the answer to this?

Photos of Caylee from Nikon Camera Information:
Name:copy of dscn1894.jpg File created: 06/17/08 3:31pm
This is the date/time the picture was copied to Casey Anthony's laptop computer.
Last Accessed: 07/02/08 10:21am
Last written: 06/17/08 3:32pm
Entry Modified: -6/17/08 9:58pm
Full path: 08-069208/WXE906472668/c/documents and settings/bobby/desktop/photos/caylee marie/june 2008/copy of dscn1894.jpg

Shows Photo scanned is Caylee in GGrandpas lap.
It shows the memory card info next. Out of that is gleaned for this post:
Nikon Coolpix L12 June 15 2008 12:03 pm
Next the doc states:
This is the date/time that the Nikon Coolpix camera took this picture.
These dates and times are dependent solely on the settings of the camera at the time the picture was taken. This information is imbedded into the digital photo by the camera,sort of like a digital fingerprint. Its unique to the picture.

The picture on the following page is the same picture, only the data reported here is the date/time as reported by the memory card within the Nokon coolpix camera. The date/time reported is the same. Therefore, the picture was taken on 6/15/08 at 12:03 hrs.

It shows the same picture and it is from the memory card inside the camera. It shows its info to be the same but with a different path address, since it shows the memory card path and not the laptops path address.

The doc then goes on to show scans of 3 pictures of Caylee and they are titled
Recent photographs of Child 05/31/08 (note from myself: I take this to mean that these are photos given to LE and LE being told they were from around May 31. although this is not stated in the doc)
The 3 pictures are:
1. Caylee on beige couch with her head propped on hand.
2. Caylee at table at rest home, just like in the video.
3.. Caylee in her sundress with longer hair. (note from me: I believe this pic was taken at JP's house).
6-17 Date rest home pics were loaded into laptop from cindys camera 330pm modified 10pm
last accessed july 2 1021am
Nikon Coolpix L12 DSCN 1894
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/media/acrobat/2008-08/41844520.pdf
Page 22-26

The visitors log and video cam from the rest home showed they were there, too.

The visitors log and video cam from the rest home showed they were there, too.
Thank you! There is NO question about the date being June 15th. They also have eyewitness testimony from the staff at the nursing center who worked that day, can provide their work records, and testimony from Caylee's great grandparents themselves.

I havent read about a video cam, where is that info located? thanks. On the visitors log, easily accessed, usually lays out in open where anything can be written in at any time.

My question is: can the date be set wrong on a camera and cause a wrong date to be shown on a picture? thanks if anyone knows about camera technology.

Yes, the date on a camera can be set wrong. However, the upload date to the computer can't, unless your computer time is way off which is unlikely.

But, it's neither here nor there since it is verified that they were in fact in the home on the date in question.

Thank you! There is NO question about the date being June 15th. They also have eyewitness testimony from the staff at the nursing center who worked that day, can provide their work records, and testimony from Caylee's great grandparents themselves.

I don't disagree that Caylee was there that day. I just don't feel this photo and video are from that visit. Still plays into the why did they originally not want us to know the date was the 15th/16th to me...

Thanks. I just wondered how smart a memory card format could be. Todays technology wow. I did notice the upload date, the access date and modified dates also. Here is what I've found happening around those times:

June 17 Date Caseys phone pings in wooded airport area.
June 17 Casey posts to Amy to cheer her 315 pm.
June 17 Caylees photos uploaded to Caseys laptop around 330pm.
June 17 Caylees photos were modified at 10pm.
June 17 possible date of neighbor seeing Casey borrow shovel, unknown for sure.

July 2
Cam is in Ohio. Casey posts cameron 8:45am July 2nd, dude, how's ohio?.
Casey or someone 1021am July 2 accessed Caylees pictures.
Cameron Campana (Full Sail University) 11:21am on July 2 ohio is awesome!! i dont wanna go back to florida haha
Casey post cameron at 1:22pm July 2nd, aw, well you have to come back
Casey asks Troy B 146pm July 2 you taking a cab, same number?
Casey gets a tattoo.

Time Stamped the 16th.

Employees of the assisted living facility where CA's dad lives were interviewed and confirmed that Caylee and CA were there on father's day, the 15th.

Thank you! THIS is the answer to the question I asked! The date on the camera can indeed be changed and make the date on a picture wrong also according to that info you have provided us. Thanks again.

Thank you! THIS is the answer to the question I asked! The date on the camera can indeed be changed and make the date on a picture wrong also according to that info you have provided us. Thanks again.
I just want to take a minute to point out this is why it is so helpful to look for an old topic before posting a new thread. A lot of the work has already been done and often we start all over when we don't need to.

This is for everyone's benefit and it keeps old important information from becoming lost.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back