Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forum Search Tips

JBean graciously took time out of HER busy day to post some suggestions to make it easier for people to understand how the threads work. Christine et al have followed up with some other great suggestions. In the time it takes for people to type and complain, they could have read JBeans post and learned a few ways to move around the board easier. I offer this suggestion to all the complainers. If you think it is so bad here, look at some of the other "sleuther" sites. I guarantee you will back here pretty quick. The "others" are so much crazier to understand and move around, with nasty people who discuss more gossip than facts. It is worth the little extra time it may take to move around here. And if people would stop posting a new thread everytime someones sneezes or Pms them, then the site would not be bogged down as bad. If there is a topic, such as about the lawyer, the babysitter etc, and you have something to add under that subject, post to that thread, don't just start a new thread. JBean is so much nicer than me--I am getting so annoyed with all the disrespectful comments around here today. Honestly people, we are all big kids, we can learn to get around here. This is a FREE site, with mods who VOLUNTEER their time, and an owner who has not asked a dime from anyone. Be respectful!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Elley Mae View Post
    Honestly I am totally at a loss, I am not happy at all with GT's gone.I don't have the time for all this looking around.

Consolidating threads will really help us when the trial starts. It could take quite awhile before that happens and this information will not be on the top of our heads.

it is so nice to search a couple threads for information when the trial is in progress; we always stay one step ahead of the defense. We have facts and figures at out fingertips in these bumpable threads if we can keep thing somewhat organized.

Please take a moment to search or read before starting a thread to avoid duplicates.

You will all be so amazed at trial time when yousee how much information has been compiled.

Thanks for reading

Quote Originally Posted by jbar View Post
    There are WAY too many new threads though. So even new threads are getting pushed back to the 2nd page super quickly. It's kinda stressful to try and catch everything...
    I so agree...I really miss the general discussion thread where we could toss ideas around without starting a thread for each idea.

But thank you JBean for giving us some help with the new format!

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyphoenix1 View Post
    I so agree...I really miss the general discussion thread where we could toss ideas around without starting a thread for each idea.

But thank you JBean for giving us some help with the new format!
    You are very welcome Bunny. What you will find is those ideas and discussion get lost in the GD threads that cannot be bumped and are locked up. If we keep topics so we can resurrect a conversation when something new surfaces or during trial it is sooo easy to find it all!
    hang in there Bunnyp..it will come together.

Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    You are very welcome Bunny. What you will find is those ideas and discussion get lost in the GD threads that cannot be bumped and are locked up. If we keep topics so we can resurrect a conversation when something new surfaces or during trial it is sooo easy to find it all!
    hang in there Bunnyp..it will come together.
    Thanks again! And excellent points...I never thought about the fact stuff was getting locked up. I'm sure I'll adjust! I think I also liked and miss the social aspect of it....so many nice and clever people around here. It really is the best forum I've ever posted to, by far, and I'm so glad I found it.

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyphoenix1 View Post
    Thanks again! And excellent points...I never thought about the fact stuff was getting locked up. I'm sure I'll adjust! I think I also liked and miss the social aspect of it....so many nice and clever people around here. It really is the best forum I've ever posted to, by far, and I'm so glad I found it.
    You have said something else that is important. Sometimes some of the really good information becomes lost in the chit chat. I am often guilty of that.
    Have you been to the Jury Room? There is lots of chit chat in there on serious topics and not so serious topics. It is a great place to get to know other posters.
    Thanks for having such a great attitude about adjusting to change bunny..you are awesome.

You have said something else that is important. Sometimes some of the really good information becomes lost in the chit chat. I am often guilty of that.
    Have you been to the Jury Room? There is lots of chit chat in there on serious topics and not so serious topics. It is a great place to get to know other posters.
    Thanks for having such a great attitude about adjusting to change bunny..you are awesome.

No, JBean, it is you that is awesome! I hadn't come across the jury room yet, but thanks for the tip...I will get there this evening.

And I just want to stress again, that I am not complaining at all. I can't believe that a non-profit site is so well maintained and moderated. And even after a few weeks here, I am still blown away every day by how intelligent and clever the posters are here and by how nice the members are. I wish I had found this place ages ago...like many others, I've also been to many forums that are just crazy, aggravating, not fun, not informative, full of wrong info etc. Websleuths rules, GDT or not!

Just thought I would post something to help with a bit of a forum adjustment.
    To keep on top of the case happenings, scan the threads and see what is bumped to the front page. Since each aspect of the case is broken down by topic, you won't miss any conversation on any topic! The newest things will always be on the front page. If there is a new development, rest assured that one of our on top of it sleuthers will start a new thread for it.
    If there is an old topic that has new information, like the dumpster yesterday, just bump the old thread with a post and then the older posts can be included in the conversation too and the old sleuthing and info is not lost.
    This is the beauty of having a forum with several topics. We can discuss whatever we want in depth with those that are interested in the same aspect of a case. Nothing is lost in the long discussion threads that cannot be bumped.
    To search if a topic has been discussed there are couple ways, but of course none are foolproof and duplicates will happen from time to time. Just notify a mod if you see one and they will help.

I usually go to the search function for this forum and then hit go advanced. From there I usually pick titles only and put in the key word or words I am looking for. IOW, if you punch in dumpster, it will give you every thread in this forum with the word dumpster in the title.
    if that comes up empty, you can try searching all posts. That can sometimes give a lot of results, but if you scan them you can see if there is any discussion on your topic already ongoing.

I would strongly recommend playing aorund with the search functions and seeing how you can streamline your searches to avoid duplicate thread topics. Feel free to start new topics, but take time to search first.

Give it a try and if we stay organized the forum is what we make it
    Bumping up this great information

Ezryder9 is offline Yes it's a Harley and no, you can't ride it!
    OMG. Thanks JBean, SS, Christine...since I'm one of the whiners tonight! I would love to have a chat sometime. Heck, I hear and see people 'bumping' stuff, but haven't a clue how to do it. You guys are soooooooooo patient with us newbies! And see, I do pay attention; otherwise, I might not have even known this thread was here!!!

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by coltsgal View Post
    That's one of my biggest annoyances
    Mine are "nighty-nite" posts. They stay there permanently. I don't want to read that. It's not necessary to announce you're leaving because it's not in real time, like a chat room,and people read it at all hours
    Please help locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff and bring them home.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Ezryder9 View Post
    Heck, I hear and see people 'bumping' stuff, but haven't a clue how to do it. You guys are soooooooooo patient with us newbies! And see, I do pay attention; otherwise, I might not have even known this thread was here!!!
    To "bump" a thread, all you have to do is add something to it, i.e. post on it, and it will move it up to the top. It can be as simple as typing the word Bump for your post.
    Please help locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff and bring them home.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Elley Mae View Post
    Honestly I am totally at a loss, I am not happy at all with GT's gone.I don't have the time for all this looking around.
    And I didn't have time to read all the nonsense on the GD threads!

Quote Originally Posted by LinasK View Post
    To "bump" a thread, all you have to do is add something to it, i.e. post on it, and it will move it up to the top. It can be as simple as typing the word Bump for your post.
    Thanks. I'll try to keep that info confidential! If you supersleuths decide to hold some type of forum, I'll gladly be there. I've gotta go do such searching now...But wait! I have to say that I wasn't truly complaining about the GDT. It's just that's what was there when I first joined, and I'd kinda gotten comfy with it. But now, on to bigger and better things. I so appreciate having access to this site. I log on before I watch the news at night and, you know what? Most of what's on the news is already on here! Thanks, Tricia, and all of you who are helping us find our way.

Thanks. I'll try to keep that info confidential! If you supersleuths decide to hold some type of forum, I'll gladly be there. I've gotta go do such searching now...But wait! I have to say that I wasn't truly complaining about the GDT. It's just that's what was there when I first joined, and I'd kinda gotten comfy with it. But now, on to bigger and better things. I so appreciate having access to this site. I log on before I watch the news at night and, you know what? Most of what's on the news is already on here! Thanks, Tricia, and all of you who are helping us find our way.
    Linask is right
    You can look through old threads and if anything strikes you just post on it or bump! It will go to the first page and you can resurrect discussion. We can't do that with the GD threads; so all that hard work is locked up.

I wasn't complaining about you Ezryder, it's the ungrateful newbies who refuse to try to branch out from the GD threads. Normally, once a forum is started we do away with the GD threads. Not sure why that didn't happen in this case.

I wasn't complaining about you Ezryder, it's the ungrateful newbies who refuse to try to branch out from the GD threads. Normally, once a forum is started we do away with the GD threads. Not sure why that didn't happen in this case.
    Lin, am I being "greedy" when I'm logged on and have like 2 or 3 threads open? I don't know if there's a finite number of members or guests or any combo thereof who can be in the forum at one time. TIA...I'm on the other threads surfing around. You know what? It's kinda fun!

Lin, am I being "greedy" when I'm logged on and have like 2 or 3 threads open? I don't know if there's a finite number of members or guests or any combo thereof who can be in the forum at one time. TIA...I'm on the other threads surfing around. You know what? It's kinda fun!
    Don't know... I often have more than one window open on my browser. Maybe that's a question you can ask Adnoid. He seems to know a lot about the technical issues. I don't know if it is taking away bandwidth from others.

Thank you everyone. Patient, understanding teachers all.

ETA: Forgive my rant today. This thread was not up or page not refreshed when I posted it.
    Last edited by OakIceShimmer; 09-05-2008 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Addition made
    Everything posted here is my own humble opinion only. I see all sides of any question and will frequently brainstorm or play devil's advocate.

Absolutely PERFECT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LookingForThe Truth View Post
    Absolutely PERFECT!!!

thank you for your nice post earler LFT

Cool

I'm not sure either, but now there is a Daily to replace the GD GD......gotta love semantics!

It doesn't appear that everyone that needs to is reading this particular thread. Maybe if you change the heading to: Before you start a new thread, read here! Or, How to search for a thread before starting a new one.

Maybe someone doesn't want to read about an old timer Jbean!

Quote Originally Posted by RElady View Post
    It doesn't appear that everyone that needs to is reading this particular thread. Maybe if you change the heading to: Before you start a new thread, read here! Or, How to search for a thread before starting a new one.

Maybe someone doesn't want to read about an old timer Jbean!
    Good Morning RE. I am putting some search tips together and will post with visual aids.

It would be very helpful, especially for some of the newbies, to have the major points of this thread as a sticky.
    Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. ~ Mark Twain

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast