Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forum Search Tips

Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    Just thought I would post something to help with a bit of a forum adjustment.
    To keep on top of the case happenings, scan the threads and see what is bumped to the front page. Since each aspect of the case is broken down by topic, you won't miss any conversation on any topic! The newest things will always be on the front page. If there is a new development, rest assured that one of our on top of it sleuthers will start a new thread for it.
    If there is an old topic that has new information, like the dumpster yesterday, just bump the old thread with a post and then the older posts can be included in the conversation too and the old sleuthing and info is not lost.
    This is the beauty of having a forum with several topics. We can discuss whatever we want in depth with those that are interested in the same aspect of a case. Nothing is lost in the long discussion threads that cannot be bumped.
    To search if a topic has been discussed there are couple ways, but of course none are foolproof and duplicates will happen from time to time. Just notify a mod if you see one and they will help.

I usually go to the search function for this forum and then hit go advanced. From there I usually pick titles only and put in the key word or words I am looking for. IOW, if you punch in dumpster, it will give you every thread in this forum with the word dumpster in the title.
    if that comes up empty, you can try searching all posts. That can sometimes give a lot of results, but if you scan them you can see if there is any discussion on your topic already ongoing.

I would strongly recommend playing aorund with the search functions and seeing how you can streamline your searches to avoid duplicate thread topics. Feel free to start new topics, but take time to search first.

Give it a try and if we stay organized the forum is what we make it
    Thank you again JBean for working so hard to keep this place as good as it is and for all your help!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bunnyphoenix1 For This Useful Post:

I think it's fair to say we all <3 our mods!

Thank you all again very much for your lessons. I have another search tip:

Taking into account that posters come from all backgrounds, mother languages, and education levels, and some people, no matter how smart they are, simply can't spell, or that we are all going so fast we all make typos at some point:

Ignore the spelling and grammar. Try searching with the first few letters and adding a * (actually don't know for sure if this can be done on this forum ) in case the thread has an error in it. Just a thought, I haven't been on a board since the 70's or maybe 80's, so, esentially never.

O/T Do not try to correct someone else's spelling - you might be wrong too and it just adds unneccessary stress to the thread. So long as you can understand what the person meant that is good enough. Maybe they can speak and write in 15 different languages and you only one. (Sorry, pet peeve from someone that is a language perfectionist no less)

ETA: Great new name for this thread too.

This is an amazing forum. As a newbie myself, I never wanted to join one until I found you. I may be getting old but I never stop learning. Thank you so much for all that you do. You are making a difference.
    Last edited by OakIceShimmer; 09-10-2008 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Addition
    Everything posted here is my own humble opinion only. I see all sides of any question and will frequently brainstorm or play devil's advocate.

JBean - you are the GREATEST! Thank you for the search tips. I got here though because I thought it was about the Caylee search .

Can we change the title to something that clues us in about it being how to use the forum? This is great stuff and I think it should be a sticky also.

Salem

Fellow Newbies,

This is a great thread for all of us to read. You WILL learn something you did not know if you give it the few minutes it takes.

We can all show our appreciation for this Website by taking advantage of all the tips in here.

This thread has been put together with work, time, and humor mixed with infinite patience.
    The least we can do is read it.

Thanking all of you for your patience with us!!!

THANK YOU!!!

Bump

Just thought I would post something to help with a bit of a forum adjustment.
    To keep on top of the case happenings, scan the threads and see what is bumped to the front page. Since each aspect of the case is broken down by topic, you won't miss any conversation on any topic! The newest things will always be on the front page. If there is a new development, rest assured that one of our on top of it sleuthers will start a new thread for it.
    If there is an old topic that has new information, like the dumpster yesterday, just bump the old thread with a post and then the older posts can be included in the conversation too and the old sleuthing and info is not lost.
    This is the beauty of having a forum with several topics. We can discuss whatever we want in depth with those that are interested in the same aspect of a case. Nothing is lost in the long discussion threads that cannot be bumped.
    To search if a topic has been discussed there are couple ways, but of course none are foolproof and duplicates will happen from time to time. Just notify a mod if you see one and they will help.

I usually go to the search function for this forum and then hit go advanced. From there I usually pick titles only and put in the key word or words I am looking for. IOW, if you punch in dumpster, it will give you every thread in this forum with the word dumpster in the title.
    if that comes up empty, you can try searching all posts. That can sometimes give a lot of results, but if you scan them you can see if there is any discussion on your topic already ongoing.

I would strongly recommend playing aorund with the search functions and seeing how you can streamline your searches to avoid duplicate thread topics. Feel free to start new topics, but take time to search first.

Give it a try and if we stay organized the forum is what we make it
    Thank you very much!!!!

You can also search an individual thread for key terms.

Quote Originally Posted by LinasK View Post
    To "bump" a thread, all you have to do is add something to it, i.e. post on it, and it will move it up to the top. It can be as simple as typing the word Bump for your post.
    Thank you - new here and do a lot of traveling for work, so still reading to learn how to take advantage of all this site offers. I kept seeing that but had no clue how to make it happen yet. Appreciate the "tip".
    It's all about the victim

Good Morning RE. I am putting some search tips together and will post with visual aids.
    You are so helpful to us "newbies". We'll soon be bowing at your feet as we surf the site. Thank you!
    It's all about the victim

View first thread link top left of page your looking at - not always there though, seems to reset itself occasionally. Need someone more experienced to expand.
    Everything posted here is my own humble opinion only. I see all sides of any question and will frequently brainstorm or play devil's advocate.

Just finished reading the "disappearing threads" thread which is also going to disappear.

Thought I would reread this thread and bump it for my fellow s

who may have joined after it originated.. It is full of great info for us!!!

If everyone would make the subject title simple in format, this too would help when a search is needed.

1. Shovel
    2. TES Search
    3. Casey's Car
    4. Cellphone Pings
    6. BH Padilla Theories
    7. Gas Cans

Just my opinion!
    Pekingese "Best Of Show" 2012

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patty G For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MiraclesHappen View Post

Just finished reading the "disappearing threads" thread which is also going to disappear.

Thought I would reread this thread and bump it for my fellow s

who may have joined after it originated.. It is full of great info for us!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty G View Post
    If everyone would make the subject title simple in format, this too would help when a search is needed.

1. Shovel
    2. TES Search
    3. Casey's Car
    4. Cellphone Pings
    6. BH Padilla Theories
    7. Gas Cans

Just my opinion!
    thanks guys!

Patty's suggestion is really important. If you want to search a subject it is hard if the author has title it:
    Did You Hear?
    and it is about the shovel. Please make the title reflect the topic.

thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by OakIceShimmer View Post
    View first thread link top left of page your looking at - not always there though, seems to reset itself occasionally. Need someone more experienced to expand.
    Thanks! I just clicked it & it took me to my first unread post. I had it checked anyway but it seems like its not default thing. I think when you go into a thred & then check the box, it takes you there. Like its not an automatic thing. It worked tho so I am excited!!

I agree that having threads that basically duplicate other threads seems wasteful. Maybe we could have one whole thread devoted to seeking out other threads. Like it could be called threadstarter or something & when someone wants to post a new thread, they could indicate the topic on threadstarter & the mods or whoever else could say, "Great idea - we don't have that thread yet" or "Please post this in the XYZ thread". Is that dumb? Its just so hard for me to believe that the mods here have to go thru each & every thread & merge.

Bumping..

Quote Originally Posted by princess View Post
    Bumping..
    Bumping your bump!
    Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. ~ Mark Twain

-snipped for space

I'm not sure I understand bumping - (in this context )
    I see people post to say- I'm bumping this. What does that mean? Is it just to make a new post so that it makes the thread more active? So that it appears on the first page? If so - shouldn't a bumper say- bumping this for ----this reason/this important info?
    TIA for any help.

When you bump- should you say why you're bumping? Also, when should something be bumped and/or double bumped?
    Can you put truth serum in brownies??? Casey/Jose...Knock, Knock…CANDY GRAM!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenKim View Post
    -snipped for space

I see people post to say- I'm bumping this. What does that mean?
    TIA for any help.

How do you bump something? When should something be bumped?
    OH, GOODIE .......I'm not the Only one asking that!! Thanks for jumping in where sissies fear to tread!!!......thanks for asking and TIA if anyone answers

Quote Originally Posted by RElady View Post
    It doesn't appear that everyone that needs to is reading this particular thread. Maybe if you change the heading to: Before you start a new thread, read here! Or, How to search for a thread before starting a new one.

Maybe someone doesn't want to read about an old timer Jbean!
    I agree with this, already there are two threads stating that Casey is being charged again. I have updated the LE Links and charge info thread with the new charges and also have given them the explanation that "yes she was arrested earlier this week, and now the state is filing FORMAL charges, she is not getting rearrested". Oy Vey, why can't people look before starting new threads?
    Devorahhh

Not the Biblical Devorah, but a nice one just the same

Bumping this thread. Please search before posting....
    Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. ~ Mark Twain

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenKim View Post
    -snipped for space

I see people post to say- I'm bumping this. What does that mean? Is it just to make a new post so that it makes the thread more active? So that it appears on the first page? If so - shouldn't a bumper say- bumping this for ----this reason/this important info?
    TIA for any help.

When you bump- should you say why you're bumping? Also, when should something be bumped and/or double bumped?

Bumping so that people can read this thread in order to learn how to search for a topic before starting a new one

Quote Originally Posted by SeriouslySearching View Post
    It also will help if people do not name threads things like, "Hey, great news..." or "Did you see this?". Be specific and you may want to date them in the title like we do the NG/Greta/other threads so we can also search by those dates.
    Absolutely. I will totally ignore threads with titles like that, as I have no time to figure out what they are about.

If you start a thread you can change the title within 24 hours, after that just ask a staff member to do it.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Email me

Quote Originally Posted by LinasK View Post
    Don't know... I often have more than one window open on my browser. Maybe that's a question you can ask Adnoid. He seems to know a lot about the technical issues. I don't know if it is taking away bandwidth from others.
    It is not.

What DOES slow things down is when there is breaking news and we have 900 people hitting "refresh" every 30 seconds to see if a new post has been made on a thread. 1,500 people just reading normally is no big deal, half that many hitting "refresh" over and over will bring things to a standstill.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Email me

Quote Originally Posted by OakIceShimmer View Post
    ...Ignore the spelling and grammar. Try searching with the first few letters and adding a * (actually don't know for sure if this can be done on this forum )...
    You don't need to include the "*", it's implicit when you are searching for words in titles or posts.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Email me

28. The Following User Says Thank You to adnoid For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast