Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Forum Search Tips

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by *Kat* View Post
    Hi all! I have a question. Is there any way to set my preferences to when I click onto a thread, "Webcam" for example, it can just take me to the first new post? Does that make sense? Like if there are 100 posts on the thread & the last time I read there was only 50 - Is there anyway it can take me right to posts 50-100. Also, in the same line as that, is there anyway to tell how many new posts are on a thread since I last read it. I can elaborate if I'm not making sense. TIA!
    Yes, that should happen if you click the blue box with the white checkmark on the left side of threads you haven't read/have new posts.
    The number of posts in a thread is in the replies column.
    Please help locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff and bring them home.

Please search before starting a new thread

Lots of information. Please either check and see if a new thread has already been started or if your TOPIC IS ALREADY BEING DISCUSSED.

It is so confusing for everyone when the same topic is being discussed on several threads.

THANK YOU

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JBean For This Useful Post:

Never interrupt your opponent when they are making a mistake.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beach For This Useful Post:

Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    If I may make a request. Can we please have the 60 second rule between searches changed? Perhaps eliminated or shortened to 15 or 30 seconds? If it takes 2-3 or more times to search the 60 second rule really adds to the wait of finding if a thread already exists or an individual post we are searching if one forgets to change the search results from show as threads to show results as individual posts.

tia for considering the above.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Websleuths Resource Center

Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    If I may make a request. Can we please have the 60 second rule between searches changed? Perhaps eliminated or shortened to 15 or 30 seconds? If it takes 2-3 or more times to search the 60 second rule really adds to the wait of finding if a thread already exists or an individual post we are searching if one forgets to change the search results from show as threads to show results as individual posts.

tia for considering the above.
    It's a server load question. It was actually at 30 seconds, I changed it to 15 seconds and changed a couple other settings as well, we'll try it there.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

"I'll put it this way: I certainly wouldn't want her behind me in a knife fight." -- me

Email me

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to adnoid For This Useful Post:

Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    TY adnoid. I really thought it was at 60 seconds, did you have it set at 60 seconds for me only? lol! j/k Thanks for shortening it. I hope it will help with fewer duplicate threads as well. I know I inadvertantly made one searching by DP and LWOP instead of Death Penalty and Life without Parole.

Now if the search engine would just recognize the various abbreviations and pull up the variations of words we may use here, wishful thinking - but this may help as a reminder to check a few different words versus just a single search and assuming there is no previous thread.

Much appreciated you made the change and hope it does not put too much of a load on the server. TY TY TY!
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Websleuths Resource Center

Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing

i'm sorry, i am new to websleuths and can't even find a search function. i am watching the archives of the casey anthony trial and just got to the part where yuri melich's testimony was interrupted by the words "orlando dick tracy" and googled the phrase to discover it relates to websleuths. however when i clicked a link on an outside blog to see all of his posts i was informed that i do not have permission to see it. what do i have to do to be able to use this forum? i'm not normally a total web dummy.

Quote Originally Posted by barbtries View Post
    i'm sorry, i am new to websleuths and can't even find a search function. i am watching the archives of the casey anthony trial and just got to the part where yuri melich's testimony was interrupted by the words "orlando dick tracy" and googled the phrase to discover it relates to websleuths. however when i clicked a link on an outside blog to see all of his posts i was informed that i do not have permission to see it. what do i have to do to be able to use this forum? i'm not normally a total web dummy.
    Hi, Barbtries, welcome to WS!

Your trouble may be that you need 50 or more posts to go certain places here. There is a game forum at the bottom of the main page, many folks rack up some posts in there! Good luck, and happy posting.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Quiche For This Useful Post:

Is there any way to go from the last page of a thread to the first page with all the Casey Anthony, for example, threads listed on it? (without scrollling back through everything or going to the page I have bookmarked for this website?)

Quote Originally Posted by martea View Post
    Is there any way to go from the last page of a thread to the first page with all the Casey Anthony, for example, threads listed on it? (without scrolling back through everything or going to the page I have bookmarked for this website?)
    Sure. Near the top of any page in this particular section, you'll see:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Featured Case Discussion > Caylee Anthony 2 years old

You can navigate the site by using any of those three links, with the last one pointing back to the main page of this forum.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bullwinkle For This Useful Post:

How to jump to the last page of a thread

Here's a navigation tip for those of us who don't have the time to read every post in a long and constantly-growing thread, and just want to keep checking the last page of it.

We'll use this thread as an example. The URL for this (fourth) page is:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...t=70221&page=4

You can see that since we're on page 4, the URL ends with "page=4". But if we change the end to "page=8" and the thread doesn't yet have eight pages, instead of generating a "file not found" error, the software that this forum runs on will automatically go to the last page of the thread. Try it:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...70221&page=999

When the trial starts in the morning, once I get to the second page of the thread I change "page=2" to "page=999", hit Enter, and then refresh that page or jump ahead to the last page by hitting F5.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234