1001 users online (204 members and 797 guests)  

Websleuths News

5 yr old found alive, bound and under tarp

" A 5-year-old girl was found bound in duct tape under a tarp at an abandoned warehouse Sunday, a day after she left home to visit a friend two blocks away."

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Northeast....ap/index.html

This is the first I've heard about "enhanced 911":

911 Center upgrade helped alert neighbors to an abduction
    Updated: 4/27/2004 7:29 AM
    By: Carmen Grant, News 10 Now Web Staff

The hunt for a predator continues, as police still have not found the man who abducted a 5-year-old girl over the weekend. While Brittany Fish is now safe at home with her family, we now know more about a system that alerted her neighbors of the abduction. A phone message was sent out to thousands of neighbors. It's called enhanced 911.

The message that many neighbors heard read, "911 center emergency notification system with an important message. Syracuse police are searching for a missing person in your area. The person they are searching for is a Brittany Fish. She is a white female five years of age, was last seen wearing a white and pink t-shirt with I'm a big sister on it, also wearing shorts. She was on a silver scooter with Barbie on it. She was last in the area of 201 Grumback Ave heading towards the 800 block of Highland Street. If you should see Brittany Fish please contact the Syracuse Police Department at 911.

Margot Guido couldn't believe her ears. She and about 6,400 people got the alert Saturday evening shortly after Brittany was reported missing by her mother.--->>

http://news10now.com/content/all_new...17343&SecID=83

Quote Originally Posted by LovelyPigeon
    This is the first I've heard about "enhanced 911":

911 Center upgrade helped alert neighbors to an abduction
    Updated: 4/27/2004 7:29 AM
    By: Carmen Grant, News 10 Now Web Staff

The hunt for a predator continues, as police still have not found the man who abducted a 5-year-old girl over the weekend. While Brittany Fish is now safe at home with her family, we now know more about a system that alerted her neighbors of the abduction. A phone message was sent out to thousands of neighbors. It's called enhanced 911.

The message that many neighbors heard read, "911 center emergency notification system with an important message. Syracuse police are searching for a missing person in your area. The person they are searching for is a Brittany Fish. She is a white female five years of age, was last seen wearing a white and pink t-shirt with I'm a big sister on it, also wearing shorts. She was on a silver scooter with Barbie on it. She was last in the area of 201 Grumback Ave heading towards the 800 block of Highland Street. If you should see Brittany Fish please contact the Syracuse Police Department at 911.

Margot Guido couldn't believe her ears. She and about 6,400 people got the alert Saturday evening shortly after Brittany was reported missing by her mother.--->>

http://news10now.com/content/all_new...17343&SecID=83
    Wow, what a great system, I've never heard of that either, LP. Glad she was found safe and that she was able to give a description - what a brave little girl. I think of my neice (who is now 7) and I can't imagine how scared that poor girl must've been. Thank God he didn't kill her. I hope they find the perp and put him for the rest of his life, where he belongs!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *My posts are my opinions, expressed freely thanks to the First Amendment.*

Wonderful, just wonderful. The enhanced system and her safe return.

Looks like an excellent means of getting out information when an Amber Alert isn't justified.

I think that system is Tops! I believe it was used here (Knoxville) when there was a train derailment leaking some poisonous gas. They used enhanced 911 to dial all of the people in the area and inform them to get out of the area. I hope it becomes more widely used to alert neighbors about abductions. I think it worked just splendidly in this example!
    Just my opinion anyway... cheers!