Cases That Haunt You

joellegirl

Reaction score
Hi, instead of starting a bunch of new threads I thought I'd make a list of several cold cases that haunt me. I've included links-which I hope work. I also hope when I submit this it looks neat and not all jumbled. Here goes:

Eveyln Hartley-teenager vansihed while babysitting in 1953. I've heard this story since I was a child, as my father was growing up in La Crosse, WI when this happened.

http://www.lacrossetribune.com/articles/2003/10/24/news.03h

Indiana Dunes Mystery-Three young women vanish in 1966.

http://www.geocities.com/athens/parthenon/6865/mystery.html

Trenny Lynn Gibson-vanished while on a field trip in the Great Smoky Mountains.

http://doenetwork.bravepages.com/425dftn.html

Sheila and Katherine Lyon-sisters missing since 1975

http//www.nealjconway.com/essays/whyweliketobe/lyonsisters.html

Janice Pockett-missing since 1973

http://www.angelfire.com/mi3/mpccn/pockett.html

Madeline Babcock-she wasn't a child-she was 35 when she vanished. Her sister is stil searching for her.

http://members.fortunecity.com/maggyw/

Suzanne Lyall-college student missing since 1998.

http://www.global2000.net/suzy/

There are more but this will do for now. I hope these links come out-please forgive me if they don't!

What are your thoughts on these cases, and what cases haunt you?

I can't find a link....it was a Dublin, CA girl, Eileen Mishaloff, I think I spelled her name wrong. She was an ice skater, she was walking I think home to or from the rink and she was never scene again. I was working in Dublin when this happened I can't even remember the year. I looked on www.missingkids.com and I couldn't find her missing poster. I think she was later thought to be a runaway and no one ever mentioned her again. She didn't take any of her stuff with her and she gave me the feeling that she wasn't a runaway................Does anyone else remember her? I still think about her.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingk...NCMC&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_US&searchLang=en_US

Amber Garcia also went missing in the late 80's. I think these cases have stuck with me cuz they all happened relatively close together and they were never solved. There was a boy who was kidnapped during this time also, I think they found his body.....I may be wrong....I remember his father working to change the law's regarding child killers and things like that.

Here's some further links to the 3 missing Indiana women

http://www.angelfire.com/mi3/mpccn/bruhl.html
http://doenetwork.bravepages.com/384dfin.html

"MERRIVILE, INDIANA: On July 2nd, 1966. Patty Blough (l9), Renee Bruhl (l9). and Ann Miller (21)- all from Illinois vanished from The Indiana Dunes State Park 36 years ago. With more than a l,000 pages of notes since their disappearance, police are not one step closer to the answer that 3 decades ago. Recently the case has been reviewed by a COLD CASE SQUAD, and there just isn't anything new or anywhere to start. The three very attractive and outgoing women were on a weekend get-a-away at the popular northern Indiana resort area, bikini clad & soaked in baby oil- what started out as a day in the sun, somehow became a plot-line out of a horror movie, but almost like the infamous Phantom killer in texarkana, texas in the early 40's, the killer eluded the police altogether, and still has investigative experts scratching their collective heads. It's not the Zodiac, or D.B. COOPER, even kansas city's infamous BTK (bind, torture, kill) strangler of the 1970's- But here's what can be said about this case after 36 years: S Y P N O S I S/ The three women vanished off the face of the earth, leaving behind their clothes, a car, a blanket, purses, and $60.00 cash. This was July 2, 1966/ A tanned man, with wavy hair was driving the boat that some witnesses (which have since deceased) say the women boarded. It has been rumored the man was, an abortion doctor, or friend. In the mid-1990's, investigators checked a possible lead involving a federal probe of the horse industry, which the 1977 murder of Brach candy's heiress Helen Vorhees Brach was solved eight years ago. The young women were also linked to the George Jaynes Stables, but the investigators did not provide new leads into their disappearances. Since then, there's been no leads and the story has faded from the public view. A one time photographer, for the Post-tribune, Dick Wylie- grew up in the area and was in the northwest Indiana bureau of the Sun-Times- working as both reporter and photographer when the three women disappeared. The mystery serves as a chapter in his yet unpublished book "Life & Death Through the Lens." He believes the women were coerced into white slavery or kidnapping, but over the years, he has changed his opinion to an abortion that went wrong, and the illegal surgery had to be covered-up by murdering the other two witnesses. Hope flared in 1975, when police recieved a call and tip that the three bodies were buried in the dunes. The bones turned out to be remains of Indians...................." Partial story from Myusm.com

MysteryMomma said:
http://www.missingkids.com/missingk...NCMC&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_US&searchLang=en_US

Amber Garcia also went missing in the late 80's. I think these cases have stuck with me cuz they all happened relatively close together and they were never solved. There was a boy who was kidnapped during this time also, I think they found his body.....I may be wrong....I remember his father working to change the law's regarding child killers and things like that.

Sad thing about Amber is that her dad (police officer) was killed sometime prior to her disappearance.

Here is another link about the Evelyn Hartley case that includes her picture. The text isn't easy to read as it is a picture of a old newspaper article. I can't seem to find a link that details her disappearance but will keep looking. There is a very detailed description in the book "Getting Away With Murder" by Ed Baumann and John O'Brien. I just wanted to mention that there were definite signs of four play as her glasses were on the livingroom floor, one of her shoes was in the basement, and the basement window was open, with blood splashed about, and a blood trail to the street. She was abducted within a half hour of starting her babysitting job, and the 18 month old girl she was watching was luckily unharmed.

Here is the link with her picture--

http://lplcat.lacrosse.lib.wi.us/digitalproject/images/hartley/00060006.jpg

Oh my, I had a major typo in my last thread. I meant "foul" play, not four play. I am so sorry..

The case that always pops into my mind when I hear about a child disappearing while camping or hiking is the case of little Laura Bradbury (3 years old) who disappeared fom her family's campsite in Joshua Tree National Park (near Palm Springs, CA) in 1984. There was a big search and I remember daily updates in the news for quite some time. I have a vague memory that then child actor, Rick Schroeder, made some public pleas for her safe return. She was a distant relative of his.

I did a web search to try to find information about this case and only found some references which say that she was never found and is believed to have been abducted. I am surprised that her family doesn't have a website for her and that she is not on the official missing children sites (as far as I could find).

Anybody remember this case?

Cypros said:
The case that always pops into my mind when I hear about a child disappearing while camping or hiking is the case of little Laura Bradbury (3 years old) who disappeared fom her family's campsite in Joshua Tree National Park (near Pal Springs, CA) in 1984. There was a big search and I remember daily updates in the news for quite some time. I have a vague memory that then child actor, Rick Schroeder, made some public please for her safe return. She was a distant relative of his.

I did a web search to try to find information about this case and only found some references which say that she was never found and is believed to have been abducted. I am surprised that her faily doesn't have a website for her and that she is not on the official missing children sites (as far as I could find).

Anybody remember this case?

Cypros, I remember. That was so sad. Don't you have to pay to get into Joshua Tree. I'm surprised they couldn't track the people at the park that day.
That is so tragic. I'm really glad I don't have kids, just for this reason.

kylie said:
Cypros, I remember. That was so sad. Don't you have to pay to get into Joshua Tree. I'm surprised they couldn't track the people at the park that day.

You do have to pay, but it is not like the park is fenced or walled in. Anybody could hike in from the surrounding desert, I suppose. I'm sure they checked out all of the official visitors at that time.
I couldn't find anything that explained why they determined this was an abduction as opposed to a case of the child wandering off an getting lost or being dragged off by a wild animal. Was there evidence for an abduction?
All of these cases are terribly sad. I can't imagine a loved one, especially a child, just disappearing.

What struck me about all these old cases is when you look at missingkids.com there are hundreds of kids from my state that I have never heard of. I'm a news junkie CNN, Fox, local news is always on in my house even when I worked on listened to news radio. Why do only a few get air time? This is what bugs me about Audrey, the college student. She really got soooo much air time and little kids that are helpless hardly get any.

I know some are runaways, some are parental abductions, but a lot of these kids are just gone....Where are the children? I know life isn't fair.

Isn't it sad how many people go missing and are never eard from again? No trace is ever found? That must be hell for their families......

I think the NCMEC estimates something like 500,000 children go missing a year......

It bothers me too how some people just simply vanish and are never found. One of the links I posted was about Trenny Gibson, who vanished on a school field trip in 1976. She was walking ahead of her classmates on the trail, was out of sight for an instant, and vanished. She was one of three people who simply vanished into thin air at the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. In the late 1960's little boy was with his family, playing hide and go seek with some other children, went behind a bush and was gone. The third case was a middle aged woman who was walking ahead of her two friends on a trial, went over a hill and vanished.

I think how many of these children vansihed doing things I did all the time as a child-riding my bike around the block, walking home from the store, playing in my own yard. I am so paranoid with my children, knowing how quick something can happen.

My heart breaks for all these families. I often wonder things like, how long did they keep their children's rooms as they were, did they keep all their toys, clothes etc. I would guess some never change a thing and some come to a point where they feel the need for closure even though they still don't know what really happened. It just makes me so sad. I came across a story about the missing Lyon sisters from Maryland (29 years now), where their parents, two brothers (and their families) a few years ago had a tombstone put in their local cemetery with the girls birthdates and missing dates. They visit it weekly.It is just so sad that they, like so many other parents of missing children, will probably never know what happened to their daughters.

I, too wish these cold cases would get some media again. Of the missing persons I mentioned in my first post, I have never seen their story on any show like Unsolved Mysteries, Cold Case Files and the like. It is wierd to think many of these "children" I mentioned wpould be in their forties and older now, but they are forever frozen in time at the age they vansihed.

Thanks to all of you who have posted and shared more links. Hopefully we will see the cases that haunt us solved one day.

Anyone else have more cases to share?

A few years ago there was a little girl missing in the Mid-West(she was 3-5 years old ,blonde hair,blue eyes).
Her last name was Beers(?) and soon after some (horryifying)child *advertiser censored* photos had surfaced of a little girl who looked EXACTLY like her.................DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY FURTHER INFO ON THIS CASE???

It's another one of those "haunting" cases I learned about on America's Most Wanted.

The only crime victim I have heard of named Beers was Katie Beers. She was held in
an underground bunker by someone named Esposito in Bay Shore, Long Island for 17 days before she was freed. She turned 10 on the second day of her captivity.

Diane

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back