Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Cases That Haunt You - *merged*

I just realizes that it's not just a news report, but an entire special program about the case starting at 8pm EST.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to birdie74 For This Useful Post:

The Jill Behrman case. She disappeared on a bike ride, and was found dead in the woods three years later. They obtained a confession that was very well corroborated. They drained a creek looking for her and didn't find her until the next year, twenty miles away. The people named in the original confession told no less than 22 people around town they did it. They ended up convicting a local petty thief. I know in my heart, and most people in this town know as well, that this man did not do it. We all know who did it. I don't normally buy into conspiracies, but I can't think of much that I wouldn't do to see this wrong righted.
    Last edited by spector; 10-24-2008 at 11:37 AM. Reason: clarity

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spector For This Useful Post:

The abduction of Michaela Joy Garecht in 1988. I was four years old when this happened, and living in the Bay Area. I think it was the first time I ever really heard about child abduction, and it has always had an impact on me.

The disappearance of Amy Billig.

Tara Calico and the photographs.

The Oklahoma girl scout murders in 1977, how utterly horrifying.

The disappearance of Maura Murray.

The Lady in the Dunes, unidentified homicide victim.

Grateful Dead Fan/Jason Doe, unidentified victim killed in a car accident in June of 1995.

The disappearance of Asha Degree in 2000. The way she was supposedly spotted walking along the highway in the middle of the night is so very eerie.

The abduction of Jacob Wetterling.

The Boy in the Box, unidentified victim found in 1957.

The missing trio from Forth Worth, Texas. What in the world happened to them?

Sharon Marshal/Franklin Floyd case. So many twists and turns, it is hard to believe it isn't a work of fiction.

The disappearance of the Lyon sisters.

The disappearance of Jackie Theel.

The disappearance of Beverly Potts.

There are more, I am sure. But those are the ones that come to mind right now.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shecky For This Useful Post:

definitely the murder of my friend, whom I posted about on here (Linda Hutchings) & since I've been reading other threads here, I'd have to say the 2 that are really getting to me are the UID couple in SC 1976 and the Grateful Dead Jason Doe. there are others, for sure...*sigh*

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kitbits For This Useful Post:

Yeah that South Carolina UID 1976 case is something else.
    Ive almost purposely stayed away from that one except to very periodicaly check for updates.
    I could tell right away that would be an easy one to get obsessive about. At least for me.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kline For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by grievousangel View Post
    I know it seems unbelievable that Jared's body wasn't found but it took a year before they found Chandra Levy's remains and they were in a park in Washington DC. The San Bernardino Mts. is a much more rugged and extensive area. I was out visiting in Los Angeles when this happened...it was a highly publicized case.
    Your Webname is awesome.
    I love Gram Parsons.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kline For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kline View Post
    Yeah that South Carolina UID 1976 case is something else.
    Ive almost purposely stayed away from that one except to very periodicaly check for updates.
    I could tell right away that would be an easy one to get obsessive about. At least for me.
    totally! i started checking out some of the french missing persons listings that were posted...my french is rusty, but i can understand a bit--no pics, though :/

off topic, gram parsons = FAB! happy to chat more about him elsewhere
    Last edited by kitbits; 10-25-2008 at 07:45 AM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kitbits For This Useful Post:

Grateful Doe,
    Christopher Robin Coan
    Lark Montague
    Andrew Gosden (UK)
    Madeleine McCann
    John Spira
    Luke Kemmerle

Julian(na) Carrozza, now located! xxx you all... Hoping for truth!
    'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
    Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'

John Keats

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Piglitsmum For This Useful Post:

Shecky- all the ones you listed are the exact same ones that haunt me too...along with a few local PNW stories (specifically the location of Bundy's victims)...hopefully we'll have answers to some or even all someday
    “Maybe that's what life is...a wink of the eye and winking stars.”- Kerouac
    "It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything."- Tyler Durden, Fight Club
    "Work like you don’t need money, love like you’ve never been hurt, and dance like no one’s watching"- Unknown

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Be Adequite! For This Useful Post:

skyatnight

I just joined this forum last week. It's really shocking to find out how many people go missing every year. Here are my choices.

1. Springfield three
    2. Lyon sisters
    3. Maura Murrey
    4. Anna Waters

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skyatnight For This Useful Post:

Cherrie Ann Mahan - Missing from Butler, Pennsylvania

She was only 8 years old. It was always upsetting to the community.
    Lots of gossip. I was in the salon industry and her grandma seemed to be
    the only family member that grieved for her so bad. My own children were
    that age and this hit home in our rural area.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to passionflower For This Useful Post:

Danielle Van Dam
    Martha Moxley
    Caylee Anthony

24. The Following User Says Thank You to yellowlab For This Useful Post:

Sabrina Aisenberg
    Amy Billig
    Keith Call & Cassandra Hailey's disappearance.
    JonBenet Ramsey
    The true identity of Sharon Marshall.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to LunaticFringe For This Useful Post:

The cases that haunt me most are local ones. Mary Ann Verdecchia, who was almost 10 years old when she disappeared in 1962. She went into the Martinique Apartments and was never seen again. The story was huge for the time, all over the 3 local broadcast TV stations newscasts, in the papers and on local radio. We've got that big 50,000 watt clear channel KDKA and you could get that clear down in Alabama at night. I was the same age as Mary Ann; it was a big shock that a kid could just disappear. It wasn't until I was older that I learned that an adult, Marcella Krulce, disappeared from the same building in 1959. Now either that building was in the Twilight Zone or a very weird serial killer/killers lived there. Or so it would seem.

Cherrie Mahan, who got off the school bus at the end of her own lane and was never seen again. Carol Jursik, a serious athlete murdered on her way home from a long run. She had stopped late at night to buy groceries and never made it home. A huge search began when she was reported missing. It took a few days for a neighbor to find the sack of groceries, which was in a neighboring driveway and hadn't even spilled. A tip directed police to a local park, where her body was found. The case was never officially solved, although there was speculation that she could have been the victim of a serial killer who was discovered years later when he tried to rape the wife of a state policeman. He may have preyed on women for years.

Brian Shaffer, Maura Murray, and the Springfield missing women would make the rest of my list.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pittsburghgirl For This Useful Post:

The Buckskin Girl, found in Ohio in 1981. It amazes me that nobody has remembered seeing a freckled young redhead with braided pigtails wearing a fringed suede jacket and bellbottoms.

Karen Adams, missing from Independence Twp., PA since March 2007. I remember her smiling at my kids as she checked out our purchases at Big Lots.

"Follow Your Dreams" John Doe:
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/218umny.html

Grateful Dead Fan
    The Fort Worth Three

All the above I'd like to see found or identified for their safety and their family's peace of mind. For entirely nerdy reasons, the one I'd love to see solved within my lifetime? D.B. Cooper. I'm fascinated by the guy and his folk hero status. The one thing that gets me is that he seemed to have a strong regard for human life even though he stole $200K from the airline, as he specifically asked the last flight attendant in the plane with him to get in the cockpit before he opened the stairs and jumped. That little detail tells me he didn't want anyone getting killed during his hijacking. I'm actually far more interested in who he really was than what, if anything, he did after the heist.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tatertot For This Useful Post:

I would also like to know what really happened to Etan Patz.

I remember seeing the movie with Kate Nelligan and Judd Hirsch called Without a Trace.That movie had a happy ending.I wish Etan would have had a happy ending as well.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LunaticFringe For This Useful Post:

The Etan Patz case shares some similarities with the Adam Walsh murder, in that there are many who feel they know who committed the crime but not enough evidence to bring a case to court. The suspect in the Patz disappearance, however, has been to civil court. Here is a passage from a cbs. com story, 2004:

As for Etan's case, the Manhattan D.A.'s office still calls it an "ongoing investigation." But after 25 years, the D.A. has yet to press criminal charges. So three years ago, Stan Patz took the painful step of having Etan declared legally dead. He then filed a lawsuit against Jose Ramos for the wrongful death of his son.

In April, a civil judge found in Stan Patz's favor.

Recently, 60 Minutes II sat down again with Stan Patz and his legal team: former prosecutor Stuart Grabois and the attorney who handled the civil case, Brian O'Dwyer.

Vicki Mabrey: "What is the real effect of the civil case?"

Brian O'Dwyer: "Well, there are three effects. One is the -- assignment of responsibility, that a court of law has told the world that Jose Antonio Ramos is responsible for the death of Etan Patz. Two, we're seeking a monetary judgment. And three, we have asked that the judge refer this to the sex offenders crime unit, to see that we can make sure that he never is in a room again alone with a young child."
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in620577.shtml

The movie Without a Trace was based on Still Missing, a book by Beth Gutcheon (one of my favorite writers). It is still in print and well worth reading.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pittsburghgirl For This Useful Post:

Thank you for that link.I am going to read it right now.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LunaticFringe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by joellegirl View Post
    I started a thread with this title about four years ago so I know what you mean about how certain cases haunt us.

Evelyn Hartley-1953
    Beverly Potts-1951
    Connie Smith-1952
    Sheila and Katherine Lyon-1975
    Janice Pockett-1973
    Trenny Lynn Gibson-1976
    Daniel Barter-1959
    Alan and Terry Westerfield-1964
    Karen Tompkins-1961
    Ann Marie Burr-1961
    Anna Waters-1973
    Suzanne Lyall-1998
    The three women missing from Indiana Dunes In July 1966-Patricia Blough, Ann Miller and Renee Bruhl
    Madeline Babcock-1968
    Michelle Pulsifer-1969
    Jodi Huisuntruit-1995
    Victor John Theel-1944

Edited to add:
    Georgia Jean Weckler- 1947
    Andy Puglisi (spelling?)-1976
    Unsolved murders of Barbara and Patricia Grimes and Judith Mae Anderson-all in Chicago during the 1950's.

As one can see from the dates of these disappearances, the world was never really safe. It drives me nuts when people think that only recently has it been this way. They have no clue about these cold cases. It is good there are people like us who do know about these cases and keep their memory alive!
    Bold by me:

http://tinyurl.com/c9jqmw

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drivenon For This Useful Post:

Kevin Collins - he disappeared near Golden Gate Park in San Francisco in the late 70s - he was I believe about 10 years old. I've always wondered what happened to him and have never forgotten him.
    This too shall pass

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cinsbythesea For This Useful Post:

I was just re-reading this thread,God,there are so many.
    I had to pass by the spot where Lonnie Jones body was discovered in 1951 today.
    All the trees are wreathed in snow and it looks like a Christmas card.
    I wondered if Im the only one that always thinks about him whenever they pass there.

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kline For This Useful Post:

44. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lost indie For This Useful Post:

gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    Quote Originally Posted by joellegirl View Post
    I started a thread with this title about four years ago so I know what you mean about how certain cases haunt us.

Evelyn Hartley-1953
    Beverly Potts-1951
    Connie Smith-1952
    Sheila and Katherine Lyon-1975
    Janice Pockett-1973
    Trenny Lynn Gibson-1976
    Daniel Barter-1959
    Alan and Terry Westerfield-1964
    Karen Tompkins-1961
    Ann Marie Burr-1961
    Anna Waters-1973
    Suzanne Lyall-1998
    The three women missing from Indiana Dunes In July 1966-Patricia Blough, Ann Miller and Renee Bruhl
    Madeline Babcock-1968
    Michelle Pulsifer-1969
    Jodi Huisuntruit-1995
    Victor John Theel-1944

Edited to add:
    Georgia Jean Weckler- 1947
    Andy Puglisi (spelling?)-1976
    Unsolved murders of Barbara and Patricia Grimes and Judith Mae Anderson-all in Chicago during the 1950's.

As one can see from the dates of these disappearances, the world was never really safe. It drives me nuts when people think that only recently has it been this way. They have no clue about these cold cases. It is good there are people like us who do know about these cases and keep their memory alive!

Bolded by me. I just wanted to put the link to the website Madeline's sister maintains for her.
    http://members.fortunecity.com/maggyw/
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi

46. The Following User Says Thank You to gaia227 For This Useful Post:

Don't know where to put this on Cherie Mahan, missing
    http://insidebutlercounty.com/index....g-cherie-mahan
    Kyron, HALEIGH, ADJI & Gabriel NEEDS PRAYERS NOW TO FIND THEM!. Zahra & Jonathan in heaven
    Justice for Hailey!!!!
    No Justice for Caylee Marie..........

48. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to passionflower For This Useful Post:

I too get nightmares when i spend too much time reading about the missing.
    A few years back I had to stop reading doe network. The Missing don't bother me as much as the unidentified bodies. I think its something about the artist renditions that give me nightmares. I can't do it any any longer.
    I can read the charley network, but i think that is because the pictures show the missing in happier times.

i can't read about Tara Calico any longer. the duct tape picture is actually what made have to take a break..that and one other story.
    I am terrible with names, but it was an elderly grandmother and her grandson that went missing. I remember there was a huge search for them. She was much older (70s or 80s?) and the boy was around 10..that really bothered me for some reason, i can't put my finger on it.

The grateful jason boy bothers me.
    There was also a girl grateful dead follower who went missing too..and then her sister thought she saw her sister in a newstory on homeless...she thought she was a woman called the "Crier"

Does anyone else, when they pass very disheveled homeless on the street, wonder if they could be amongst the individuals on Charley project? Hawaii has a huge homeless populatiion..and sometimes when i see someone, i wonder who could be looking for them..

50. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to indicajane For This Useful Post:

Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast