Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Cases That Haunt You - *merged*

I have been haunted for years by the case of Dail Dinwiddie who disappeared from Columbia, SC in 1992. That year I visited USC's campus, as it was one of the school's I planned to apply to. I remember seeing Dail's pictures in the bookstores and all over campus. I also remembered seeing her face on a billboard when we continued on our trip to Clemson.

I will never forget her face and I hope that one day her family will have answers as to what happened to their beautiful daughter.

Some Canadian disappearances that haunt me.

Carolyn Pruyser missing from Peace River Alberta since May 1984.I went to school with her,no traces have ever been found of her.
    http://www.childfind.ab.ca/prog_cases.htm
    http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/705dfab.html

Corey Braun missing from Peace River Alberta since November 21,2004.No trace has yet been found of this man.
    http://www.prrecordgazette.com/story.php?id=129823

Shelly Anne Bacsu missing from Hinton Alberta since May 1983.

http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/28dfab.html

Tania Murrell missing from Edmonton Alberta since January 1983.
    http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/42dfab.html

Rhonda Running Bird.Missing since 1995 from Rocky Mountain House Alberta.
    http://www.geocities.com/missingrhon...d/missing.html

Tamra Keepness since July 5,2004 from Regina Saskatchewan.
    http://childsearch.us/site4/tamra_keepness.html
    http://primetimecrime.com/Recent/Mur...20Keepness.htm
    Carolyn Pruyser missing since May 17,1984 please read her about her case Here

Quote Originally Posted by jodieo
    I'm not sure if this is a cold case or not, but when I was a kid, early 80's, I remember a story of a torso being found in a ditch about 4 miles from the farm we were living on in the Texas panhandle. A few weeks later more of the woman's body parts were found at an airport, maybe her arms and legs- I can't recall for sure. If I remeber right I don't think they ever found her head. I have tried searching the net for info and archives of papers but I don't find anything. Anyone have any ideas?
    Okay, I found this on the Amarillo Globe News webiste about Henry Lee Lucas- he later recanted the confessions:

In the mid-1980s, Lucas pleaded guilty to the April 26, 1981, death of Dianna Lynn Bryant of Brownfield and the Dec. 19, 1982, death of Glenna Biggers of Petersburg. He received a 75-year sentence in the Brownfield case and a life sentence in the Petersburg case.

He now claims that he pleaded guilty to both cases at the request of Williamson County Sheriff Jim Boutwell, who died several years ago, and Texas Rangers who were members of a task force investigating his confessions.

"They wanted something to back up the death sentence, so they had me plead to cases," he said last week inside a cage at the Ellis Unit.

Lucas also confessed to three previously unsolved murders in Lubbock - the deaths of Naomi Miller Martin on Jan. 31, 1971, Debra Sue Williamson on Aug. 24, 1975, and Elizabeth Ann Price on April 10, 1976. He was indicted in all three cases, but the charges later were dropped when evidence showed he could not have been in Lubbock when the murders occurred. Last week, he stood by his denials of involvement in the three cases.

No one has been arrested for the killings.

Lucas also confessed to five other South Plains murders - the deaths of Lynn Hall Gray on March 18, 1980, in Abilene; Beverly Joyce Luttrell on March 13, 1981, in Odessa; anunidentified female (her headless body was found near Plainview on Jan. 28, 1982) ; Happy Howry on April 25, 1982, in Big Spring; and Herman Junior Brooks in 1982 in Odessa.

In eastern New Mexico, Lucas confessed to the deaths of Elizabeth Faye Bull on July 24, 1978, in San Juan; Barbara Ellen Begley on April 18, 1982, in an oil field near Hobbs; and Jean Alba on Oct. 10, 1982, in Quay County. In those cases he also maintains his innocence.

Lucas said West Texas law-enforcement agencies accepted his confessions to cover their ineptness and, in some cases, to cover the botched autopsies of former Lubbock pathologist Dr. Ralph Erdmann, much of whose work was later discredited.

"Out there (in West Texas), you can do anything and get away with it," he said. "They don't investigate cases. They had some guy out there doing autopsies that was putting the wrong heads on bodies."

Jackie Peoples, a retired Texas Ranger who was involved in Lubbock County confessions, laughed while scoffing at Lucas' assessment of law enforcement officers.

"Look at who you are talking to and where he is at," Peoples said. "That's my only comment. If you believe him, that's your problem. If the people of this area believe him, that's their problem. But that's my only comment."

Last week, Lucas told how he knew so much about the murders in West Texas and eastern New Mexico.

"I was given access to files I shouldn't have been given access to," he said. "At nighttime, the Rangers would leave, and the sheriff (Boutwell) would open the door to the office and just let me go in there and read (the files). I was doing it behind their backs. I'd try to give the information back to them when they came in to talk to me. Some I got right and some I didn't."

Boutwell encouraged the hoax, Lucas said.

http://amarillo.com/stories/062298/new_lucas.shtml (link for whole story- registration required)

So, at least this confirms that I'm not crazy, but now I wonder even more who she was and if it is considered solved?

I found another story that says she was found on 2/16/82?

I'm not sure if this is a cold case or not, but when I was a kid, early 80's, I remember a story of a torso being found in a ditch about 4 miles from the farm we were living on in the Texas panhandle. A few weeks later more of the woman's body parts were found at an airport, maybe her arms and legs- I can't recall for sure. If I remeber right I don't think they ever found her head. I have tried searching the net for info and archives of papers but I don't find anything. Anyone have any ideas?

What a small world - I recall this story as well, but I don't remember any more than you do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSays
    What a small world - I recall this story as well, but I don't remember any more than you do about it.
    Really is pretty small isn't it-

I have searched and searched and come up with a few things.
    2 different dates as to when she was found- one is 1/28/82 and the other is 2/16/82.
    Henry Lee Lucas confessed to her murder- said she was a hitch hiker he picked up around Abilene, TX but he later recanted.
    She was laid to rest in Plainview on 7/23/93, still unidentified.
    I've been on the DOE network and the Texas DPS unidentified and don't see anything on either. Have come up with all kinds of crazy stuff in my searches but nothing pertaining to her.
    I sent an email to a reporter for the Plainview Daily Herald who covered most of the stories on Lucas to see if they ever did make an ID on her.

Great! I hope you hear back from the reporter... definitely post if you do!

Question I cannot remember this missing boy's name!

Does anyone remember the case of the young boy who went missing in the mountains with his father and grandfather? It occurred several years ago. If I remember right, they went to the mountains to get a Christmas tree (?). I can't remember what state this happened in, either.

The boy went missing in the deep snow. Seems they were by a lake. The grandfather was supposed to watch the boy for a bit while the Dad wasgone. He lost track of the boy somehow...

The Dad returned to the mountains for months, looking for his boy.

Thanks in advance for your help.

ETA:
    I changed the words I have been googling a little bit, and found this. This is him:
    http://www.searchonek9.org/news/1113...lbretson.shtml

This is one of many cold cases that has haunted me...

Sweet Derrick Engebretson:

http://egov.oregon.gov/OSP/MCC/engeb..._derrick.shtml

------
    I found this on the FindCarrie website:

~snip~

...Lori and Robert Engebretson shout into the trees.

"Derrick!"

The word hangs in the air, echoing off the flanks of Pelican Butte.

They know their son will not answer. But they need to call his name in the same way they need to breathe.

"Derrick!"

Six years have passed since the boy disappeared from this spot, a densely wooded mountainside above Upper Klamath Lake.

Derrick would be 14 now. But the eyes peering out from a poster nailed to a nearby tree are still those of an 8-year-old. The weather has all but destroyed the image, erasing the smile the boy wore when the third-grade photo was taken.

It was snowing hard that December night six years ago. Robert remembers how his son's footprints led back to the road, then vanished.

Hundreds came to search for him with snowmobiles, dogs and helicopters. Hours turned into days, then weeks. Eventually, only Robert and Lori remained. Torn by guilt and recrimination, they returned to the mountain again and again, calling for their child as they scanned the forest for his bones. Gripped by their obsession, they slid into a kind of suspended animation, drifting through life with no direction, no thought for the future.

For years, they returned to the mountain every weekend, retracing steps over ground they'd walked hundreds of times. They found nothing, not the small hatchet Derrick had carried that day or a shred of his blue snowsuit.

Authorities insisted that Derrick had wandered off into the woods and died, that animals had scattered his remains. But the Engebretsons never really believed that, and a compulsion took over their world. They came back to the mountain because it was the only thing they could do.

In their hearts they knew somebody had taken their son. They always had.

During the search, a witness said he'd seen a man struggling with a boy along a nearby highway. And Derrick had been missing for only a few hours when Lori called her mother. Lori's intuition told her Derrick was gone.

"He's not here," she remembers crying.

Her mother had tried to reassure her. Of course, he's there. You'll find him before morning.

"No, Mom," Lori remembers insisting. "He's not here. We're not going to find him on this mountain.

"Somebody took him."

"I thought he was with you"

They hadn't planned to go to the woods that year. Lori had somehow talked Robert, an enthusiastic outdoorsman who always looked forward to the family's annual Christmas tree hunt, into getting an artificial pine. Less mess, she'd said.

But when a disabled neighbor asked for help getting a real tree, Robert didn't hesitate.

The afternoon of Dec. 5, 1998, Robert; his 64-year-old father, Bob; and Derrick set out for the woods on the flank of Pelican Butte, about 30 miles from downtown Klamath Falls.

As Bob's red Toyota pickup climbed the Westside Road, Robert remembers telling his father they'd have to make it quick. It was already after 2 p.m., and it would be dark shortly after 4.

Bob pulled onto a turnout at Milepost 12. Robert helped Derrick wiggle into his snowsuit, and the three of them started up an embankment into the ponderosa pines. Robert remembers walking ahead, telling Derrick to stay with his grandfather.

But the boy scrambled through the snow, annoying Bob by chopping on small trees with his hatchet. Derrick told Bob he wanted to catch up with his dad. The grandfather eventually relented.

~snip~

I did a search on boys missing in Oregon. Alot of these boys are pretty similar to little Derrick. I wonder if the man suspected of taking Derrick is responsible for any of the other boys:

http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...eSearchServlet

Quote Originally Posted by JDB
    I just wonder. Ilene disapperance happened in 1989. I am still trying to recall when Michella went miising .I wonder if someone can dig up Jed (UTAH) time line. WAs he in the Bay area during this time?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Hi JDB!
    I remember very well these abductions, as I lived in Pleasanton during these frightful times and my children were young. My son and Michaela (sp) Garrett would have been the same age today, 27. I'm guessing, but I think her abduction took place around 1985 (she would have been 7 years old). She was kidnapped in front of a convenience store in Hayward, CA. She and her little friend parked their bikes and went into the store and when she came out a man in a car had her bike. She ran over to get it, and that's when he took her. Just like that! Never to be heard of again.

This is my recollection: Ilene Misheloff (sp) was abducted in Dublin, CA. in January~mid 80's. She and her brother were twins. She was walking home from school and was going to the Dublin Ice Rink. I guess this was her routine, as she would practice her ice skating after school. There's a "medium street divider" that she would have to cross, and on the other side of that is the ice rink. There was something about someone in a van at the stop light that might have abducted her, but really no one knows exactly what happened to her. She just disappeared. She was NOT a runaway.
    I would sometimes see her mom, dad, and brother around town. I felt so sorry for them all.

And still another one that happened in Pleasnton, CA in the late 70's early 80's. A young girl (freshman) was walking home from Foothill High School,as a lot of kids would take a "short cut" home through a field that was behind the school. Someone found Tina/ Terry (?) Ferril(?) (I can't remember her name) dead in a field and all of her papers and books were scattered. Again, another case unsolved.

The police at one time thought the person that might have done these killing was dead. Who knows??? I'll never forget them...

Anyone know this case...?

Does anyone know about this case: I was watching a TV show (don't remember which one) that was explaining why some cases get MUCH more
    media coverage than others. (age of victim, girls more than boys, whether they're attractive or not, etc.)

Anyway, they had a story on a young girl (about 18 or 19) who was in San Francisco and she disapeared into thin air. Totally vanished without a trace.
    I think her family has a website set up.

For some reason, this case just haunted me. This girl had no reason to run away...they suspect foul play.

Anyone know her name?

[QUOTE=Share-in....I remember very well these abductions, as I lived in Pleasanton during these frightful times ...Michaela (sp) Garrett ... was kidnapped in front of a convenience store in Hayward, CA.

This is my recollection: Ilene Misheloff (sp) was abducted in Dublin, CA. in January~mid 80's. ... She just disappeared. She was NOT a runaway.

And still another one that happened in Pleasnton, CA in the late 70's early 80's. A young girl (freshman) was walking home from Foothill High School,as a lot of kids would take a "short cut" home through a field that was behind the school. Someone found Tina/ Terry (?) Ferril(?) (I can't remember her name) dead in a field and all of her papers and books were scattered. Again, another case unsolved.

The police at one time thought the person that might have done these killing was dead. Who knows??? I'll never forget them...[/QUOTE]--------------------------------------------------------------

Michaela Joy Garecht, 9 years old, was abducted in front of witnesses at 10:15AM on 19 November 1988 from the parking lot of the Rainbow Market in Hayward, CA.

ILene Misheloff was 13 years old and disappeared on Monday, 30 January 1989 from Dublin, CA while on her way home from School, shortly after 2:30PM.

Another girl who is still missing from about that time was Amber Jean Swartz-Garcia, age 10. She disappeared about 4:00 PM on 3 June 1988 from the front yard of her home in Pinole, CA.

They are just three of several California girls whose cases have not been solved.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSays
    Great! I hope you hear back from the reporter... definitely post if you do!
    I heard back from the reporter, he told me to contact the current JP, she was a clerk in the JP office at the time of the burial. They both attended the service. He didn't give me any more than that. I called the JPs office and left a message with her secretary late Friday afternoon and have not heard back yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan
    Does anyone know about this case: I was watching a TV show (don't remember which one) that was explaining why some cases get MUCH more
    media coverage than others. (age of victim, girls more than boys, whether they're attractive or not, etc.)

Anyway, they had a story on a young girl (about 18 or 19) who was in San Francisco and she disapeared into thin air. Totally vanished without a trace.
    I think her family has a website set up.

For some reason, this case just haunted me. This girl had no reason to run away...they suspect foul play.

Anyone know her name?
    Are you talking about Kristen Modafferi?

http://www.findkristen.com/Index.html

Arrow

[QUOTE=Richard]
    Quote Originally Posted by Share-in....I remember very well these abductions, as I lived in Pleasanton during these frightful times ...Michaela (sp) Garrett ... was kidnapped in front of a convenience store in Hayward, CA.

This is my recollection: Ilene Misheloff (sp) was abducted in Dublin, CA. in January~mid 80's. ... She just disappeared. She was NOT a runaway.

The police at one time thought the person that might have done these killing was dead. Who knows??? I'll never forget them...[/QUOTE
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Michaela Joy Garecht, 9 years old, was abducted in front of witnesses at 10:15AM on 19 November 1988 from the parking lot of the Rainbow Market in Hayward, CA.

ILene Misheloff was 13 years old and disappeared on Monday, 30 January 1989 from Dublin, CA while on her way home from School, shortly after 2:30PM.

Another girl who is still missing from about that time was Amber Jean Swartz-Garcia, age 10. She disappeared about 4:00 PM on 3 June 1988 from the front yard of her home in Pinole, CA.

They are just three of several California girls whose cases have not been solved.
    Requoting myself:
    Quote Originally Posted by LinasK
    Update from Contra Costa Times:

"More than 16 years have passed since Mike and Maddi Misheloff last saw their daughter.
    Sixteen years of worry. Sixteen years of wondering. And 16 years of candelight vigils to remember the horrible anniversary.
    It was Jan. 30, 1989 when Ilene Misheloff, then 13 years old, left Wells Middle School in Dublin at the end of the school day. Ilene, dressed in a charcoal-gray pullover polo sweater and horizontally striped pink-and-gray skirt, was supposed to go to the Dublin Iceland rink for her lesson that afternoon.
    She never showed up at the rink.
    Detective Mike Toms with the Dublin police, who has been in charge of the Mischeloff case for more than three years, said his department gets a lead on Ilene about every other month.
    Mike and Maddi Misheloff have not given up hope of finding Ilene. They and two other volunteers still operate the Ilene Misheloff Recovery Effort out of an office on Village Parkway.
    Every Wednesday between 10a.m. and 2 p.m. they send out fliers with Ilene's information and a picture of what she may look like today to law enforcement and fire departments throughout the United States and Canada. Last week they sent out 500 envelopes."
    For more information, visit www.find-ilene.org. Ilene Misheloff was 5 feet 3 inches tall and 115 pounds at the time of her disappearance. She has brown hair and brown eyes and wore braces on her teeth. Anyone with information is asked to call Dublin Police at 925-833-6670 or 1-800-635-6306, or the FBI at 415-553-7400.
    A $95,000 reward is being offered
    Quote Originally Posted by LinasK
    Mystery Momma, Yes I know something about this case, I live in the area. Her name I believe is spelled Ilene Mischeloff. She was abducted walking between school/home and Dublin Iceland. She was never classified as a runaway. She is believed to be a victim of foul play. Her mother still holds candlelight vigils for her and her missing posters can still be found in a few storefronts in Dublin.
    There was a murdering couple (James Daveggio & Michelle Michaud) just a couple of years ago that abducted and killed a Phillipino woman from Pleasanton walking on her way to work and dumped her body near Lake Tahoe. They grabbed her off the street and tortured her in their van. They are suspects in the disappearance of Ilene Mischeloff.
    Please help locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff and bring them home.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to LinasK For This Useful Post:

I heard back from the reporter, he told me to contact the current JP, she was a clerk in the JP office at the time of the burial. They both attended the service. He didn't give me any more than that. I called the JPs office and left a message with her secretary late Friday afternoon and have not heard back yet.
    Hopefully she will get back to you soon, that's a start!

The Carolyn,Barry,Brandon & Sheketa Brown case 1985

This case haunts me.(One of several) Carolyn's husband and the father of the children, James Michael Brown(a school teacher)admitted to killing them all and gave details. He was found not guilty by reason of insanity by mental defect!

Sheketa, her mother Carolyn and her two brothers, Barry Michael Brown and Brandon Mitchell Brown, disappeared from Port St. Lucie, Florida on July 16, 1985.
    James Michael Brown, the father of the Brown children and the husband of Caroline, confessed to murdering all four of the victims. James stated that he killed Caroline and Brandon first, placing their bodies somewhere near West Palm Beach, Florida. James claimed that he then drove to Georgia and murdered Sheketa and Barry, placing their bodies somewhere along Interstate 95. No sign of any of the victims has been discovered.
    James was found not guilty of four counts of murder by reason of insanity by mental defect in late 1985. A court-appointed psychiatrist diagnosed him as paranoid schitzophrenic. James claimed he was hearing voices in his head at the time of the murders, something which has continued in the years proceeding the killings as well. He was committed to a mental hospital in Florida after being found not guilty and was moved to a halfway house in 1996. James was released from the halfway house in 1997, but was under investigation for exhibiting psychotic behavior after his initial release. The decision concerning his return to the halfway house was pending in 1998.
    http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/250dffl.html
    Retired 08/03/03

The case that haunts me the most is that of Carolyn Majane. Carolyn was 15 years old in 1975 and disappeared into thin air while hanging out with her friends on Main Street in Moorestown New Jersey. As far as I know there are no answers to what happened that night. She was presumed a runaway, as almost all disappearances were in those days. It was not until ten years later that her skeletal remains were uncovered across the street from my house. It seems to me that there are a lot of answers out there in regards to what happened to Carolyn. I know that really no proper investigation was ever done.

(I have copied a piece of an article I have on this)

Philadelphia Inquirer, The (PA)

January 12, 1986

GRIM TIDINGS FOR PARENTS OF MISSING GIRL, THE LONG VIGIL ENDS

Author: Edward Power, Inquirer Staff Writer

Edition: FINAL
    Section: LOCAL
    Page: B01

Index Terms:
    MISSING PERSON NJ FOUND

Estimated printed pages: 7

Article Text:

Nighttime in Moorestown, Aug. 22, 1975, and Diane Pearson, then 17, has just come home from her summer job. She grabs her parents' car keys and rushes back out, missing by minutes a telephone call from one of her best friends, Carolyn Majane, 15.

"I know some people said she was uptown," Pearson recalls today. "We heard she was walking down Main Street with some younger girls."

In another Moorestown home, Susan Norwood, also then 17, has decided to stay in rather than meet up with her best friend, who had telephoned earlier. That friend was Carolyn Majane.

"I think there was a lot more they could have done," Norwood recalled. ''I don't know much about police procedure, but I think at the time they said, 'Listen, we can't do anything right now. We don't have enough men.' They just didn't seem too concerned."

On that same summer night at around 9 p.m., Elizabeth Majane drives two of her children to meet friends at a nea! rby store, then returns home to her husband, John. One of those children is her only daughter, Carolyn.

"She wanted to go downtown," John Majane recalled. "I didn't want her to go. There had been an altercation in town the night before. Some kids had ended up in the emergency room."

"I think maybe we had a false sense of security," Elizabeth Majane said, ''a sense that it was a safe, wonderful little town and nothing ever happened there."

But something did happen to Carolyn Majane.

A cold case that haunts me is Jennifer Odom. At one point it looked like they were trying to connect it to Joseph P Smith but I guess it did not connect.
    Here is the link: http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/osi/unsolved/odom.asp
    I wish this case could be solved. Is anyone else familar with this case?

Why the hell didn't the kids say something??? That bugs me...Didn't the bus driver notice anything???

I know I thought the same thing if I were a bus driver and saw a truck following one of the students i left off being followed i stop again. But this was 1993 and maybe the driver didn't notice and the kids never thought anything like this. i just can't believe it has not been solved and i really thought Joseph P Smith may be the one but I guess not.
    I know it bugs me too. I wish one of them did tell the driver. It just breaks my heart all the cases do. The way she was found and then her stuff being found so much later. I still think Smith who is responsible for Carlie Brucia. He had other crimes in this same are which is not far from me or Sarasota. I decided to bring her back thru cold cases who knows just maybe someone will see it and know something.

Richard put this list together on the Edna Thorne thread. I added Carolyn to the list.

Sheila and Katherine Lyon on 25 March 1975 from Wheaton, MD,
    Steven Anderson and David Williams on 7 April 1975 from New Lisbon, NJ,
    Wendy Eaton on 17 May 1975 from Media, PA,
    Edna Christine Thorne on 24 June 1975 from Philadelphia, PA
    Tracy Anne King on 8 July 1975 from Littlestown, PA,
    Kathy Lynn Beatty on 24 July 1975 from Wheaton, MD
    Carolyn Majane on 22 August 1975 from Moorestown New Jersey

Could these be connected?
    Last edited by mere; 10-12-2005 at 10:05 AM.

Unidentified White Female discovered on December 10, 1988 in Atlantic Highlands New Jersey. She has been estimated to be at that location from between 1970-1975. Have any of you ever thought who she might be?

http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/20ufnj.html

Question Princess Doe...

Shadowangel, I would love to be able to visit Princess Doe's grave. That case has bothered me for such a long time.

This is totally off the topic but its been driving me mad so I will say it anyway, Remeber the Linda Sobek murder, well when they were searching for her body in LA nat park, remember how they also stumbled upon another body also of a model who had been murdered before Linda? Does anyone happen to know the name of this other Woman Its just that it has been driving me nuts and I can't seem to find any info...

Another case that haunts me... The Keddie resort murders.

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast