Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypros
    The case that always pops into my mind when I hear about a child disappearing while camping or hiking is the case of little Laura Bradbury (3 years old) who disappeared fom her family's campsite in Joshua Tree National Park (near Palm Springs, CA) in 1984. Anybody remember this case?
    If memory serves me right, Laura's remains were found 2-3 years after she disappeared either in the park itself or not far from it. I don't remember if a cause of death was listed or someone was involved in her disappearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugie
    This is my first post.

I found a possible answer to the Indiana State Dunes mystery. The below link is to a web site that outlines the arrest of two men, Kenneth Hansen and Silas Jayne, in connection with crimes involving horses/owners.

http://www.pet-abuse.com/cases/761/IL/US/1/print

Apparently, they came into contact with Blough and Miller at the stable where the two young women kept their horses. This site mentions the Blough, Bruhl, and Miller specifically as being likely vicitims of the men.

Lovin' this website!
    You're right. Ken and Si were responsible for the deaths of these girls. They rode at Si's brother's barn and witnessed Ken's brother planting a bomb on Si's brother's car. (Si eventually succeeded in killing his brother years later). An assistant trainer, a young woman named Cherie, was asked to bring the car around to the front. The car exploded and she was killed. The three girls were witnesses, so Si had Ken kill them. Ken used his boat (which matched the description given by eyewitnesses) and then burned it. (he also collected insurance for the 'accident' to his boat).

The real mystery is where did Si's nephew, Frank Jayne Jr., put the body of Brach candy heiress Helen Brach. There have been books and movies about Helen Brach, but no one has ever found her body. Jayne's accomplice, Richard Bailey is in prison for life for his involvement in her murder.

Quote Originally Posted by joellegirl
    Hi, instead of starting a bunch of new threads I thought I'd make a list of several cold cases that haunt me. I've included links-which I hope work. I also hope when I submit this it looks neat and not all jumbled. Here goes:

Eveyln Hartley-teenager vansihed while babysitting in 1953. I've heard this story since I was a child, as my father was growing up in La Crosse, WI when this happened.

http://www.lacrossetribune.com/artic...10/24/news.03h

Indiana Dunes Mystery-Three young women vanish in 1966.

http://www.geocities.com/athens/part...5/mystery.html

Trenny Lynn Gibson-vanished while on a field trip in the Great Smoky Mountains.

http://doenetwork.bravepages.com/425dftn.html

Sheila and Katherine Lyon-sisters missing since 1975

http//www.nealjconway.com/essays/whyweliketobe/lyonsisters.html

Janice Pockett-missing since 1973

http://www.angelfire.com/mi3/mpccn/pockett.html

Madeline Babcock-she wasn't a child-she was 35 when she vanished. Her sister is stil searching for her.

http://members.fortunecity.com/maggyw/

Suzanne Lyall-college student missing since 1998.

http://www.global2000.net/suzy/

There are more but this will do for now. I hope these links come out-please forgive me if they don't!

What are your thoughts on these cases, and what cases haunt you?
    Those are haunting cases - thanks for posting.

I live close to the area where Jennifer Short and her family were murdred.
    Does not seem they are any closer to an arrest than the first day it happened.
    Wonder if the parents were the target or she was.
    Here is a link:
    http://www.roanoke.com/roatimes/news/story139268.html

Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by kimmpp
    Hello I am a relative of Janice Pockett would be very interested in hearing what you think,,,,kimmpp@hotmail.com
    First - sorry for your loss. You and your family have suffered a tragedy.
    When reading the link it was sad to read that there were 2 pedophiles as suspects - children are prey and this reminds me of that lesson.

What jumped out to me was that she was classified a runaway at 8 years old.
    Was there any reason for that classification or was it just the times before the awareness of child vicitms? Did that impeded a search at the time?

I hope that you get some answers someday soon.
    Michelle

janice

Funny thing about it was that I remember that she always had tictacs with her,,,my sister and Janice werre very close,,,would love to find closure need to know more but do not know where to look or what to do,,,very new at this if anyone can help please let me know

Janice

Quote Originally Posted by kimmpp
    Funny thing about it was that I remember that she always had tictacs with her,,,my sister and Janice werre very close,,,would love to find closure need to know more but do not know where to look or what to do,,,very new at this if anyone can help please let me know
    I really feel for you and your family, having had such a tragedy happen and having no closure. I guess the main thing is to keep Janice's story in the media. She is on several missing persons websites which is good. Perhaps create a personal website about her and her abduction? Though I realize that may be emotionally hard to do. Maybe have someone sketch a picture of what she may look like now.

Janice's case haunts many of us here and we really want to see it solved, and I think many of us would like to hear more tibits about Janice, like the tic tac story. It is nice to hear little things about her, to know more what she was like. Please share more with us if you are able to and want to. Bless you and your family and lets hope modern science and interest in her case can soon solve it.

Quote Originally Posted by messiecake
    OMG! Her story is worse than I imagined! BEFORE being abducted she had been molested/abused by her Father,her Uncle AND her Mother's boyfriend????? : (

............I can't help but wonder if they were looked at? After all they were all under investigation when she went missing??? OR were they all aware of what they were each doing to her ? Were they some sort of pedo "group"??
    Did they set up her abduction??? After all how do we know its NOT her in the found pictures?

SOOOOOOOOOOOO much WRONG in the case IMO not only just the abduction!
    OMG, my daughter looks SO MUCH like Brittney, it gives me chills.......

Quote Originally Posted by amandab
    OMG, my daughter looks SO MUCH like Brittney, it gives me chills.......

My daughter too............its really haunting isnt it???
    The saints are the sinners who keep trying...

Quote Originally Posted by messiecake
    My daughter too............its really haunting isnt it???
    It seems like the only thing that's different is the cold, sad look that Brittney has in her eyes.....that poor little girl..... :-(

Evylyn Hartley

As far as the Evelyn Hartley case, did they save the blood-stained jacket and shoes? Can they do some DNA testing on them? It would be interesting to know.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kylie For This Useful Post:

janice

i have a friend who has the gift of sight well he did at one point and i remember one day over breakfast telling him about the doenetwork, and websleuths, and finding info on this missing girl i gave him little details i was like she was 8 went bike riding never found, he goes she has blond hair right gap 2 front teeth, she had on shorts and a shirt, i was like omg,hes like whats her name i go janice pockett, he goes shes close by im like what do u mean? he says she was from around here i go yeah tolland 45 minns away he goes omg. so when i get home i send him a link to her picture and hes on the phone with me going omg omg that was her it was freeky, well im writing back and forth with someone who does writing for cold cases in ct and have recived intresting information that was in the hartford courrant about other girls missing after she went missing, and were trying to find a link between janice and the other missing girls, also peirce and bar-jones the people listed that may be involved dont really look like they are. at one point i thought peirce was involved cuz of his confession but i think he was just saying it, and the other girls who went missing after her a few years later the towns were relitvely close, and peirce was in mass at the time and i think already in prison for some murder he commited, also it was brought to my attention the guy who killed molly bish would have been around the time janice went missing so im trying to find out if he was in ct at the time, talked to my friend who said he thinks its a guy whos in dc commited alot of child crimes but is not doing it anymore meaning got help, from someone to stop the killings, does anyone know of anyone in the dc area that commited lots of crimes but was suspected but then never charged? or vis versa

dont think im crazy about the visons and stuff if anyone isnt crazy let me know

One of the cases that has stuck with me for a long time, even though it happened before I was born, is that of Marjorie "Christy" Luna. It may have something to do with the fact that she lived not even ten minutes from me. I can't find anything new on her case; I can't even find another picture of her.

Here is a link to her case:

http://www.angelfire.com/mi3/mpccn/luna.html

They interviewed her mom on the news last year or so, and it's been 20 years since her daughter disappeared. I can't imagine what that must be like for her. It's something you never forget.

Another case that has stuck with me is Andrea Parsons. I remember when this happened. It was all over the news. I remember the pictures and the descriptions of her, I remember the searches, I remember the suspects.

Here is a link to her case:

http://www.angelfire.com/mi3/mpccn/aparsons.html

was janice cassified as a runaway or a nonfamily abduction. also today on tv i was watching about the adam walsh story john walshes late son who was kidnaped and killed how sad and how back then they didnt do much for children who were missing, scarry, we need to keep these children in our memorie, i know im gona be lighting a candle for every anniversery of some of the missing janice, andy puglies, the lyons sisters, rachel cooke, evelyn hartly, connie smith, jacob wetterling, jason jarkowski, if u are intrested in starting a prayer circle for them let me know

you know how through the jason jarkowski foundation thing that they have the buttons for the missing such as murra murray rachael cooke and others, well what about pins for older cases. i know like a 20 year old case might not be important to most people. but, what if your taken a walk and u have the pin on u and someone goes omg i remeber that case i lived in the town such and such and starts talking to u about stuff, and then they start to remeber and some new leads pop up, if anyone thinks its a good idea let me know i thinking pins on evelen hartley, the lyon sisters, janice pockett, andy puglies. indiana dunes girls and any other cold cold cases. or they could even be a reminder to poeple that these are the missing still who have yet to be found, the reason i got involved in missing persons and cold cases were the young children and adults missing for years with no clues, as to where they are

16. The Following User Says Thank You to smile22 For This Useful Post:

Unsolved murder of Christy Mirack part 1

This is only my second post on this forum, so I'm still a "newbie." This case has always stayed in the back of my mind, partly because my Mom was in the area at the time of Christy's discovery, and partly because of another death in our area that occured around the same time. (solved but the killer is still fighting to get free) On the day that Christy's body was found, the police were diverting traffic so that they could bring the body out and not be interrupted. My Mom ended up having to wait (in her car) on the side of the road facing Christy's house. At that time, a man in a dark sedan was parked next to her. Mom considers herself to be a little psychic, and she said she got an overwhelming aura of anger from this man as he stared at Christy's house. In her head she kept hearing "good, the ***** is dead" over and over again. Then the man pulled out of his spot and went in the opposite direction. She swears it was the killer, and still gets freaked out about it. Everything I've ever heard about Christy is that she was sweet and kind, never a "*****." I got this story from another site, so I hope it works.

A mother's dying wish
    By Barbara Hough Roda
    Dec 14, 2002, 18:53 EST
    Lancaster Sunday News

Knowing she might not live to see the 10th anniversary of her daughter's unsolved killing, Gerry Mirack asked for an interview to tell her story of the pain of losing her "Chrissy' and her fear that justice will never be done.

Gerry Mirack was sick and weary when she got word to the Sunday News this summer that she wanted to talk.
    Battling cancer, grief and the clock, she feared that she would die before the 10th anniversary of her daughter's unsolved murder. Mrs. Mirack wanted to leave this life knowing that she would have a say in a December article about her middle child, about the devastating loss to her family, about frustration with a murder investigation that has failed to produce a killer.

She did not want Christy Mirack, the daughter taken from her family four days before Christmas, to be forgotten.

"It's too late now ... I feel it's too late for me because of how sick I am," Mrs. Mirack said in a shaky and tired voice.

But on that day in September, as she glanced at her two surviving children during an interview at daughter Alicia's Philadelphia-area home, she added, "My kids are still here ... It's such a long time, 10 years."

Less than two months later, on Nov. 4, Mrs. Mirack, 59, died at her Shamokin home. Death came one day after Christy would have celebrated her 35th birthday.

Mrs. Mirack was a Catholic, a member of Our Lady of Hope Church in Coal Township, Northumberland County. There was daunting comfort in the belief that Christy, and truth about the murder, awaited her in death.

The terrible call

It was Mrs. Mirack who got the call from Christy's principal that her daughter hadn't arrived at Rohrerstown Elementary School the morning of Monday, Dec. 21, 1992. Did Christy visit Shamokin that weekend, the principal asked?

She had not, and a worried Mrs. Mirack started calling Christy's East Lampeter Township townhouse. Her daughter never answered but, after three hours, someone with the police did _ the family does not know to this day who that was _ and told Mrs. Mirack she needed to come to Lancaster.

The man would say no more. Mrs. Mirack persisted, as concern gave way to a mother's worst fears. There was an "accident," she was told. Christy was dead.

The sixth-grade teacher's strangled, beaten and sexually assaulted body was found by the Rohrerstown principal, who had driven to her Greenfield Estates home to check on her. It was one year and one day after Laurie Show was murdered in the same township.

According to a 1995 Lancaster New Era story citing police, neighbors saw a car pull into a lot directly across from Christy's home shortly after her roommate left for work at 7 a.m. A man jumped out of the car and headed toward her door. Police theorized at the time that Christy either knew the man, or opened the door expecting to see someone else, when he forced his way inside. No one saw the man leave.

Witnesses described the vehicle as a 1984 to 1991 Dodge Daytona or Turismo hatchback, the article noted. It was faded silver, dull gray or faded white in color. The vehicle's distinguishing features included roll-up head lamps and black louvers, or sunshades, on the back window. Police described the man as white, in his 20s, tall with an athletic build and sandy blond or light brown hair, possibly in a crew cut.

It appeared that Christy had put up a struggle. A 1993 Sunday News story citing unnamed sources close to the investigation noted that Christmas packages, bags and cushions had been thrown about; there was a slash in a sofa slipcover, though no furniture was overturned. There was a shoe scuff mark inside, on the top of the front door; scrapes on the entryway floor suggested that Christy might have been dragged, sources said. Her elbows and knees were badly bruised.

Previously published reports noted that a neighbor heard a single scream at 7:15 a.m. The killer left the townhouse with the door ajar, which allowed the principal to enter when he arrived looking for Christy shortly after 9 a.m.

Knew her killer

East Lampeter Township Police Lt. Renee Schuler, who heads the murder investigation, said the car and other information linked early on to the case are not being discounted.

But she and Lancaster County Detective Joseph Geesey provided little in the way of new information at an interview held at the District Attorney's Office last week. Although police initially proceeded under the assumption that Christy knew her killer, they won't rule out a random killing now.

But the family is convinced that Christy either knew the murderer, or opened the door to someone she was expecting that morning. There were no signs of forced entry to the townhouse, according to news reports.

Gathering to discuss Christy and the case in September was extraordinarily difficult for a family that has mourned with no closure for a decade. They've watched Christy's life be subjected to the microscope while the killer continues to elude police. Their heartwrenching loss was evidenced on the fatigued face of an ailing Mrs. Mirack, who sat close to her son, Vince T., on a sofa and looked to him, her daughter and husband, Vincent J., for support as she spoke.

The Miracks said Christy was adamant about safety, though they can't explain why she was so careful. Her father offered typical parental advice: keep the keys ready, take different routes home, don't park in the same place.

Recalling his years as a Lancaster nursing student, her brother, now 31, said he always rang the doorbell when he stopped by Christy's home and had to tell her several times who it was before she would let him in.

But last week Schuler and Geesey would only say that the killer is male. They wouldn't say whether there might have been more than one assailant. Dozens of men have been interviewed by authorities, though officials will not say specifically how many. Investigators said they are looking at specific individuals.

They would not comment on how many people have been exonerated by DNA or other evidence.

But three men who were considered suspects by police were absolved because DNA taken from semen did not match DNA found at the scene, county foresnic pathologist Dr. Wayne K. Ross said in a 1993 interview with the Lancaster New Era.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoccerMom For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast