Nancy Cooper, 34, of Cary, N.C. #25

Status
Not open for further replies.

christine2448

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Please continue GENERAL discussions here. Look around Nancy has her own forum, there are several threads started on specific topics to try and stay organized.

Links to previous and similar threads can be found toward the bottom of the page.

Newbies.....

WELCOMETOWSBLUE.gif

I am sad such a tragedy is bringing us all together.

I advise everyone to read the RULES of WS, Long and Short Version .

For any of you locals, see my post on the OT thread.

Thanks,
fran

AH! My work had this site blocked for the last couple weeks so I could not get on... Not sure why its working now but I am not complaining. Anyone have any new info on this case?

AH! My work had this site blocked for the last couple weeks so I could not get on... Not sure why its working now but I am not complaining. Anyone have any new info on this case?
Why did they block it? And then why did they unblock it? Just curious. Welcome back. Not too much going on. We've been going over the inventory in the SW's and trying to make sense of what LE may know by the type of items seized. The SW's are posted on the documents thread if you haven't seen them.

It's also been debated (somewhat heated I may add) whether any of us would convict Brad at this time with the evidence, circumstantial or otherwise, known at this point. Feel free to weigh in.

Hi, I've been trying to read here & there to see what I have missed over the last couple of weeks as I don't get on nearly as often as I did when this case first started, but in my reading earlier today, I saw something mentioned about 'what Nancy said at a BBQ or party that would have embarassed Brad'. I'm not sure if this is something I've already read, my memory is quite bad so it's possible that I did. Can someone point to me where I would find more about what was said? (Sorry to interrupt what everyone else is currently discussing.)

Try the locked thread before this one (thread # 24), post #89 for starters. It's by Momto3kids. She quotes various parts of the affidavits. The affidavits can be found on the Legal Documents section on the "index" page of the Nancy Cooper case.

Some of what you remember may be speculations from what some of the Websleuthers have put out here, too. It's all running together. I remember someone saying that Nancy "...talked back..." to Brad at a social gathering after he "...slapped her leg..." because he thought she should deal with Katie and Bella's "...misbehaving..." at the gathering. The "talked back" is, I think, chosen words from one of the Websleuthers, but the "misbehaving" and leg slapping is from one of the affidavits where someone's husband said that. (Timothy Simmons affidavit, look on the Legal Documents section, Fran's #7 posted WRAL's legal documents of affidavits). Timothy's mentioned the leg slapping incident at a Dec. 2007 party, so that was NOT the night before she died, obviously).

Bluenoser, by "index" page, go to the top of this page where your name is in the right uppermost corner saying "welcome bluenoser". Just to the left of that, at the very top of this page it will say Nancy Cooper. Click on that and it will take you to the page that I call the "index" page where you can look for everything.

Hi Bluenoser! :)

On post #12 of the 'legal documents' thread, page 43, #17, Diana Duncan talks about an incident that night of the bbq.

Brad didn't understand what Katie wanted because she couldn't talk yet. Nancy was frustrated and told Brad he needed to "pay more attention to the signals."

Welcome to Websleuths, btw.

fran

On post #12 of the 'legal documents' thread, page 43, #17, Diana Duncan talks about an incident that night of the bbq.

Brad didn't understand what Katie wanted because she couldn't talk yet. Nancy was frustrated and told Brad he needed to "pay more attention to the signals."

If the situation weren't so sad, I would've laughed when I read that in the affidavits. As a mother of a 2 year-old, I am always interpreting what she wants -- and she can talk a blue streak (just not so clearly)!

Hi from me too, Bluenoser!

New scoop:

http://cary.mync.com/site/cary/news/story/8696/attorneys-trying-to-divide-custody-issues

"Brad Cooper's lawyers filed a pair of motions Wednesday."

"A Motion to Bifurcate Hearing is asking that the entire issue be divided in two (Bifurcate means "to cause to divide into two branches or parts" according to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary).

"Additionally, attorneys filed a Motion In Limine, which is asking that certain pieces of evidence not be introduced relating to one of those parts until the court has ruled on the other.

According to the motions, the defense is asking the judge to prevent "the Plaintiffs from putting on any evidence concerning the best interests of the minor child until the court has heard and ruled upon the fitness of the defendant to care for his minor children or whether he has acted inconsistent with his parental rights."

The motions say that the well being of the children is a valid argument between two parents, but because this case pits a father against grandparents, the father would have to be deemed "unfit" for that to have any bearing.

Basically, the defense is saying that plaintiffs have not provided "statutory authority" warranting anything more than the original emergency custody order - and therefore, they should only be allowed to submit evidence that the girls would be in "a substantial risk to bodily injury" or abduction "for the purpose of evading jurisdiction."

Attorneys for Brad Cooper contend that he and the two girls are legally an "intact family" the burden is on Nancy Cooper's family, since no custody order has been filed; the two sides came to an out-of-court agreement once the emergency custody order expired)."

reddress58!

LOL, this is completely over my head. :crazy:

Do you understand?

:)
fran

Thanks for posting that, Reddress!

I don't understand that last part. How are the best interests of the children NOT germaine to the determination of custody? And why shouldn't the plaintiffs be allowed to present their information (first)? Or are they trying to separate the murder case from the issue of custody?

It's like they want the court to determine that Brad is a great father...(except for that murdering the kids' mother part...oops). But let's all forget about THAT.

In the O.J. case the grandparents had temporary custody during the entire length of the criminal trial (over a year+). Then custody was fought in the courts and it happened to be at the same time as the civil trial...a trial which he eventually lost, to the tune of $33+ million. But he got his kids back. His daughter is forever screwed up (she's 24 now) and was 9 at the time of the murder.

I didn't post the whole story; just the gist of it. You'll have to read the whole thing to get a better understanding...then you can explain it to Fran & me. :)

ETA: I just added the rest of the article.

I know there was an episode of "Law and Order" that involved bifurcation. I don't suppose that helps, though.

I understand the concept, esp. as it applies to divorce (they separate out figuring out the money part from the actual getting divorced/severing the marriage part).

But in this particular case I'm not sure how it's supposed to play.

In my mind, if BC murdered NC then that makes him an unfit parent to raise the kids. Because murdering the mother is never in 'the best interests of the children,' despite also being a felony. I don't know if the law takes any of that into account though.

Custody would be determined ahead of any criminal case, with the pace that the DA moves. And given this particular DA, if this isn't a 'slam dunk' case then he might never bring charges.

I wish the Modesto DA that prosecuted Peterson was the one serving this jurisdiction!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46