preventing the Anthonys from profiting

future criminologist

Reaction score
I know that there is not much that can be done to prevent the Anthonys from profiting off of this case before Casey gets convicted, but once she does (assuming that happens), is anyone familiar with legal routes the state can go to prevent her and her family from profiting? who would represent Caylee's interests in this matter, and who would be filing on her behalf?

I don't think there is a legal precedent to prevent members of her family from profiting if they were not involved in the crime.

I *think* it's the "Son of Sam" law that will prevent Casey from profiting.

I'll have to do some research, as I do not know if it is a state-by-state law, or federal (almost positive it's federal, but want to be sure.) However, I'm almost certain there is a law preventing inmates from profiting from their crimes.

So...if Casey is convicted for doing something to Caylee, she herself can not profit from it, and the same would go with the GP's. I am almost certain though that the GP's and Lee would be able to as long as they weren't in jail for that said crime.

As far as who would represent Caylee, I believe it could only be a family member of hers that could initiate any type of lawsuit, and then it would be a civil case.

If someone didn't harm Caylee, only their own decency would prevent them from profiting from her death. Son Of Sam type laws deal with a convicted person selling their story, book rights, etc., but they have not been upheld in all instances. There are also usually totally different state statutes or case law that prevent a murderer, for example, from profiting from his or her wrong by inheriting the victim's estate, insurance proceeds, etc.

Unless they are in some way charged as accesories, I do not think there is anything that can be done to prevent the family from profiting or selling their story. it may be possible to prevent any such earnings from going directly to casey however.

As far as who acts in the victims interest, or who would get any earnings in a wrongful death or victims judgement, in all liklihood it would go first to the Grandparents, and then to Lee. Unless Caylee's father could be proven.

Kinda sad isn't it?

ooo I was just thinking - maybe LE is trying to find Caylee's father so that he can act on her behalf. He would be able to file a civil suit or prevent the Anthonys from profiting, no?

Think about it, if they take a large "donation", it will destroy what's left of the public sympathy for them, for certain. So, let them do it, then sit back and see how they spend the $$$. (Will it be flying to PR, NY, etc to follow leads?)

Anyone here familiar with the Madeleine McCann case? She's the little British girl who disappeared from Portugal 16 months ago who many believe was killed by her parents. They have been profitting from her for over a year, raising at least $2 million. I know it's a different standard, being in the UK, but it's happening more and more.

Hopefully someone will step forward and be a "Guardian Ad Litem" for Caylee and STOP anyone from profiting NOW or in the Future, if that is even possible.

http://www.gal.fl.gov/

Somone actually made a thread about the Guardian Ad Litem a week or so ago..it was interesting, if you haven't already read it yet. I'm going to go re-read b/c some people that posted on it seemed to know a lot of info about the legalities.

Life Time Movie of the week coming up!~

Poor Cassy was framed...Zanny the nanny took Caylee and killed her then put her in the trunk to move her (Zanny the Nanny stole a set of poor Cassy's keys).

Cindy backs this story, George backs this story and Lee backs this story.

Poor Cassy, lost her baby and was framed for a crime. :boohoo:

But the good news is they will all get rich from the book and movie deals and live happily ever after!~ :woohoo:

The end. :waitasec:

Life Time Movie of the week coming up!~

Poor Cassy was framed...Zanny the nanny took Caylee and killed her then put her in the trunk to move her (Zanny the Nanny stole a set of poor Cassy's keys).

Cindy backs this story, George backs this story and Lee backs this story.

Poor Cassy, lost her baby and was framed for a crime. :boohoo:

But the good news is they will all get rich from the book and movie deals and live happily ever after!~ :woohoo:

The end. :waitasec:
:eek:
what's so happy about Caylee killed? :waitasec:

Fla has a law that will stop any one from making money if they have or are a convicted felon, so if she is convicted of the child neg, charge she gets nothing

Just stated on Nancy grace, that Lifetime has offered the Anthony's a 1.5 million dollar deal for a movie.

Yes, and according to LP, its been tabled until they know for sure that charges aren't pending against the rest of the family.

$1.7 b none of these people truly loved Caylee. No one who truly loved someone would sell the story of her murder.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah
Back