Top Bishops Oppose Gay Marriage Ban

southcitymom

Reaction score
Website
www.janicefahy.com
Awesome! I love my church:

California's top Episcopal bishops oppose gay marriage ban

The state's six highest bishops go on the record against Prop. 8, the fall ballot measure that would reverse the California Supreme Court's decision to allow same-sex couples to marry.

By Duke Helfand, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
September 11, 2008

California's six most senior Episcopal bishops Wednesday unanimously declared their opposition to a constitutional amendment on the statewide November ballot that would ban same-sex marriage.

The bishops argued that preserving the right of gays and lesbians to marry would enhance the "Christian values" of monogamy, love and commitment.

more at link http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-gaymarriage11-2008sep11,0,3495332.story

This is such a divisive issue in many Christian churches and turns people from the message of Christ. It is really heartwarming to witness some Christian leaders come down on the side of truth (Biblical and otherwise) and love.

SO glad to hear this!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome! I love my church...

The bishops argued that preserving the right of gays and lesbians to marry would enhance the "Christian values" of monogamy, love and commitment....

I'm glad to hear this argument put forward. I've been wondering at the logic of those who think it benefits society to discourage gays from forming committed partnerships.

Don't get me wrong, I think monogamy is a personal choice and not a prerequisite to being a decent person. But if a "loving, committed marriage" is a Christian virtue, one would think the more the merrier.

I just don't know how it'll go. The other day I had a caucasion male and female "christian" come to my door wanting to give me some information on Prop. 8 and why I should vote yes.

I asked them why they were for it to pass. They replied, "To protect the sanctity of marriage." inwhich I replied:

"Up until 1964 it was illegal for a white to marry a black because the church said in doing so protected the sanctity of marriage."

They were allowed to and guess what? The sun still rose the next day. The sky didn't come falling down. Little kids didn't run home to mommy and daddy telling them they wanted to marry someone other race. It was a non issue except to the ones preaching the hate and fear. I guess it'll never end. And of course they say what next, someone be allowed to marry their pet? I don't know, since I don't see it and it has nothing to do with me, I could care less what other's do. My morals and beliefs are to direct my life. Not to dictate others.

I just don't know how it'll go. The other day I had a caucasion male and female "christian" come to my door wanting to give me some information on Prop. 8 and why I should vote yes.

I asked them why they were for it to pass. They replied, "To protect the sanctity of marriage." inwhich I replied:

"Up until 1964 it was illegal for a white to marry a black because the church said in doing so protected the sanctity of marriage."

They were allowed to and guess what? The sun still rose the next day. The sky didn't come falling down. Little kids didn't run home to mommy and daddy telling them they wanted to marry someone other race. It was a non issue except to the ones preaching the hate and fear. I guess it'll never end. And of course they say what next, someone be allowed to marry their pet? I don't know, since I don't see it and it has nothing to do with me, I could care less what other's do. My morals and beliefs are to direct my life. Not to dictate others.

Great post, Dalles, and very much to the point. There are any number of marriages of which I disapprove for one reason or another, but I see no reason why the law should keep consenting adults from marrying based on my opinion.

I bolded one part of your post because it's exactly what I've been saying to people. Gay marriage has been legal in California for four months, thousands of us have married and, really, where's the harm?

I would marry my dog. He's awesome and so is this news!:):):clap:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back