Page 27 of 57 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 ... LastLast
    When i watched her yesterday to me.. I think she just doesnt really think about or listen to what they are saying.. I think she is good at zoning herself out to a differant place in her mind.. that she disassociates herself with what is going on..
    It reminded me of scarlett at the end of gone with the wind..
    she will think about it another day....

Quote Originally Posted by Elphaba View Post
    Dressing a person for a court appearance is almost like an art-form, because it's all part of building a mask of sorts by the defense, as they try to put into play a disguise to help get their client off. Humans (with sight) tend to be visually influenced and the courtroom is no exception... so it is understandable that what she wears will be scrutinized, be it by the general public or media. This kind of stands true for witnesses, as well... some jurors do take appearances into account when deciding a witness' credibility.

I wouldn't be surprised that by the time the trial starts, we will have seen Casey's neckline rise higher, the clothes looking more loose and frumpy, and her eyebrows less coifed. She has the matronly hair down pat, but I can see that changing some, because the severity of how it was pulled back in the front gave her a hard look to her face... so I predict we will see a more loose version of the bun hair style. It's all about creating a mask... and truly is a part of a court appearance... and worth discussing.
    It certainly is a mask, Elphaba, and the courtroom itself is a stage designed to give visual cues to the jurors (the audience) observing from their box seats. As in theatre and religious ceremonies (the first theatre), the spatial arrangement, the protocol, and the wardrobe are integral parts of the ritual that occurs at trial. It's an interesting topic of discussion for those who like to study trials.

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Quote Originally Posted by bessie View Post
    It certainly is a mask, Elphaba, and the courtroom itself is a stage designed to give visual cues to the jurors (the audience) observing from their box seats. As in theatre and religious ceremonies (the first theatre), the spatial arrangement, the protocol, and the wardrobe are integral parts of the ritual that occurs at trial. It's an interesting topic of discussion for those who like to study trials.

Yes bessie, I agree and I will be interested to see not only how she is presented at trial but the colors they choose for her to wear. Her wardrobe is important, style and color. It is very much like theater and I am glad you brought that up.
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James

Quote Originally Posted by nomoresorrow View Post
    I think that there is the possibility that the pictures may not make it to trial, certainly the defense will try to keep them out. I can't help but wonder if the prosecution will argue that the pictures not only represent KC's state of mind following Caylee's disappearance, they may also use them to actually account for her time. From what I understand they are date/time stamped, suppose that LE/Prosecution has created a timeline for x, y, and z days using cell phone records(pings), stores/banks video surveillance tapes, etc,...and the time stamped photos are used to fill in a piece of the timeline by showing the date and time of her whereabouts. Maybe the prosecution would have to establish that it's directly linked to the day or days that she committed a crime, i.e, purchased a new comforter to replace missing one,... first, it will be interesting to see.

Forgot to add: I was wondering if she may have had a bullet-proof vest on under the jacket because I noticed "puffiness" on each shoulder which at first I thought was just shoulder pads from the blazer but when I looked closer it looked like a vest...??

MOO
    You know, I noticed that too...I could see something dark peeking out from beneath the jacket. I thought maybe it was just a tank. I thought it was weird that if you are going to go to the trouble of putting on a business like jacket, why not go the whole way an add a blouse? The jacket seemed very ill-fitting and she appeared way more bustier than normal. Something didn't seem right.

Quote Originally Posted by MsMacGyver View Post
    My impression of KC in court Friday is she is growing up, something she should have done when she had Caylee. I remember when my daughter came to me at 17 and told me she was pregnant. I told her that it was time to grow up...I agree that reality is setting in with her, I think she is beginning to realize that she is on her own, that Mommy and Daddy are not going to get her out of this. She has alot more hard lessons down the road. I can still see her complaining about the suit she was wearing, I think it was the first time that her butt was actually covered..
    I agree, one of the reports I read said with out make up she looks young. I don't think so, if we look at the pictures of her taken last spring (the party at the Oviado House comes to mind) it's hard to believe this is the same girl. Her skin has taken on prison pallor, her hair no longer has that shine.

I still don't think she get's "it" though. The smiles and the giggles don't make me think of a parent in court over the suspicious (understatement) death of her baby. I can't put my finger on where exactly she thinks she is, maybe it's all a part in a play to her. But certainly not someone fighting for her life and her freedom. And not someone whose baby's remains are sitting in a box unable to be properly inurned.
    Thank you my WS family for everything you do, everyday. You are loved and appreciated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Emma Leigh Barker~
    09/02/07~03/18/09
    ~R.I.P.~

Justice For Emma
    Stacey Barker - Guilty - Murder 1 - 5/24/11
    25 to LiFE - Sentenced 6/17/11

~~~~~~~~~~~
    jmho as always

Quote Originally Posted by Pattymarie View Post
    You know, I noticed that too...I could see something dark peeking out from beneath the jacket. I thought maybe it was just a tank. I thought it was weird that if you are going to go to the trouble of putting on a business like jacket, why not go the whole way an add a blouse? The jacket seemed very ill-fitting and she appeared way more bustier than normal. Something didn't seem right.

That is something I did not consider pattymarie. Now I will have to go back and review again her motions hearing.

As far as looking more busty, I think she needs a better foundation under her clothes than the sports bra she is wearing from the prison. I would assume that will be brought to her at a later date, when she is dressing for the trial.
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James

We really NEED someone who can READ HER LIPS!

The female defense attorney is shielding her face from camera with her hair--pretty cagey.

The laughter from KC after talking with the attorney to her side, IMO, probably is giggling about setting off the reaction she is about to get from the media, public, about her radical change in appearance for the courtroom.

Can anyone on websleuths read lips, such as someone who cannot hear and relies upon this method, or an interpretor? Sincere.

First impressions mean alot---whether it is a job interview,a first meeting,or a courtroom,I must get a little snarky and say that I hope LKB,is not advising her,when it comes to appearance impressions,as I would love to pull her hair back in a bun!That being said,I do think KC's behavior needs an up grade,and I will once again voice my concerns about the control issues JB,seems to have over her. Perps of DV exhibit some of these very behaviors,and I realize that these people are not usually on trial for murder,but I feel that if JB has to be in such control over what KC says and does,because he is afraid of what she may say,without his permission,that this speaks alot to her guilt in this case.

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Dre...ourt&id=188367

(snip)
    Since that time, I have let my clients know that they should dress nicely for court, further describing the clothing as "church" wear. These clients have thanked me for informing them about how to appear in court.
    If my clients do not have and cannot afford such attire, I even loan them some of my clothes or take them shopping. This has had a tremendous effect on my clients, and some of them had told me that this helps them tremendously, as they now no longer worry about "looking stupid" in court.
    In conclusion, if you are about to attend a court hearing, even though you are not there as part of a fashion show or to be criticized in any way for your apparel, clothes really do make the man. Or the woman.

Thank you guys for bringing back the body language thread--sorry I didn't see it at first!

We need someone to READ HER LIPS, someone either who is deaf and has a well-refined sense of this, or maybe an interpreter.

As I said in Presentation thread, I think she is giggling to her female attorney about the upcoming onslaught of media/public opinion concerning her "cleaned up" appearance. The female attorney is hiding her face with her hair, I believe, in order to cover what she is saying to KC.

The below doesn't necessarily apply to Casey's situation. But it goes to show you how the courts themselves have rules on dress. The below is from a judge himself.

http://dcourt.org/forum/node/529

Dress Code for your clients -- reminder

Tue, 12/20/2005 - 8:29am — JudgeJones (updated 2007-03-09) -- a reminder is needed on this point. Please have your staff caution your clients on these matters. Note the bolded language below.
    Counselors (primarily, but not exclusively, those on the criminal court side), please make sure your clients show up with proper attire. The rules briefly are (as you well know):
    • No logo advertising t-shirts (Polo and the like with subtle emblems are OK). The target is the football sweatshirt, rock band pictures, Harley shirts and the like.
    • No hats.
    • No sunglasses inside unless by doctor's prescription.
    • Shirts tucked into pants (men).
    • All clothing clean.
    Your clients who show up otherwise will either be sent home to change and if not returning by the time their case is called will be subject to forfeiture of bond; or, bond may immediately be forfeited and your client incarcerated if the court has concern about flight at that point.
    Please help with this. The sloppiness has just about gotten on my last nerve! Today (2007-03-09) it DID get on my last nerve!

Quite frankly, I don't think that body language "experts" can "read" people by their facial expressions or movements anymore than anyone else. It takes quite some time to study someone's mannerisms and expressions in order to "read" them.

The FBI, I'm sure, has body language experts.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaymus at The Rock View Post
    You know I realized that Casey's demeanor was odd in that she doesn't seem to show any grief for Caylee. I would have expected her to flinch every time the word "remains" was said.

But I had forgotten about GA. Her dad is in the hospital after what appears to be a suicide attempt and remains ill enough that he has been confined for 2 weeks now. Did anyone see KC attempt to ask BC a question ? I would have moved JB out of the way to ask "How is my Daddy today ?"

It's really chilling the more I think about her. She is dangerous.
    A constant barrage of expectations from others is what pushes a lot of people over the edge. Society, in general, is not very compassionate towards strangers--people seem to think that we are all generic clones, with predictable behaviors for every given situation.

If you really want to dig down deep into some of the serious problems of this society, you might want to look at how people react when they are ridiculed for not fitting what someone considers to be "the norm". Many individuals who have commited tragic crimes have experienced this same type of non-acceptance by their peers and/or strangers.

The first step in solving a problem is realizing there is a problem. Maybe if everyone strives to incorporate a little understanding into their exchanges with others, we will not have to deal with the wrath of those who are not able to comprehend that what others think of them is not really all that important. Some very small dig one person makes against the other may be the straw that broke the camel's back to someone who is having a rough way to go. And this does not even involve walking on eggshells, all it involves is restraining ourselves from using someone else as a verbal punching bag--which in itself is disrespectful.

It seems very common for people suspected of crimes to be accused of inappropriate reactions as they go through the legal process. When you think about it, maybe the inappropriate is actually appropriate in that setting--there certainly seems to be a trend that way. Have you ever been involved in a media-focused criminal event as a suspect? Until that day arrives, I don't think you can say with any certainty exactly how you would act.

Grief and anxiety are very personal, and I don't think that people should be chastized for how they deal with it--nor should a lot be read into how they present themselves to the public when going through these emotions. A thorough analysis would involve a lot more than a few statements or photo ops presented by the media.

Picking apart every movement and inflection of the defendant may help the public deal with the situation, but this doesn't really do much towards contributing to finding out what really happened. And that's what this is all about--not US...but finding out what happened and why.

Quote Originally Posted by SuziQ View Post
    http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Dre...ourt&id=188367

(snip)
    Since that time, I have let my clients know that they should dress nicely for court, further describing the clothing as "church" wear. These clients have thanked me for informing them about how to appear in court.
    If my clients do not have and cannot afford such attire, I even loan them some of my clothes or take them shopping. This has had a tremendous effect on my clients, and some of them had told me that this helps them tremendously, as they now no longer worry about "looking stupid" in court.
    In conclusion, if you are about to attend a court hearing, even though you are not there as part of a fashion show or to be criticized in any way for your apparel, clothes really do make the man. Or the woman.
    That's an interesting article, Suzi. Thanks for the link. If an individual is self-conscious about her clothing, in this case a defendant at trial, her lack of confidence will show in her demeanor by way of her body language. She might slouch or keep her arms folded in front of her, which a juror might perceive as incertitude regarding her innocence. As with Casey's ill-fitting blazer, tugging at the sleeves, fidgeting with buttons, are subtle cues that convey apprehension and anxiety.

Likewise, prison uniforms are dehumanizing and give the impression that the person wearing them in a courtroom is of a lower status than those around him. As I posted last night, that is the very reason the United States Constitution affords the accused the right to appear before his accusors in his own clothing. More than just a defense ploy, it is an element of due process.

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Page 27 of 57 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 ... LastLast