LA Train Crash - at least six dead

Yikes! This looks awful. Thanks for the heads up.

I beleive I heard this morning that there are still 17 or more folks that are still unaccounted for.. they ar bringing in big equipment to pull the wreakage apart in an attempt to locate the missing.. and the rescue workers are working in very very short shifts due to the horrific nature of the inside of the cars...

My prayers to those injured and the families of those who lost loved ones.

There is no excuse for this. I used to take not Metrolink but the straight metro and the conductors were always careful when coming to a convergence of two tracks. I wonder if the conductor of the freight was sleeping. Fatigue is a likely cause. How tragic. And here in LA it is already hard to get people to take public transportation. If this is some piss ant avoidable mistake I will be very upset

OMG it is just horrific. So sad, those poor people. I am waiting to find out why this occurred. They should know where these trains are at all times. I hope it is not human error, because I would hate to be that person. :( It's just heartbreaking. Just the idea of that locomotive imploding into the first passenger car. :(

Just reported on KFI640 that the preliminary investigation looks like the metrolink engineer ran a red light

OMG it is just horrific. So sad, those poor people. I am waiting to find out why this occurred. They should know where these trains are at all times. I hope it is not human error, because I would hate to be that person. :( It's just heartbreaking. Just the idea of that locomotive imploding into the first passenger car. :(
Hi LP :blowkiss:

Looks like human error. Metrolink spokesperson just held a pres conference.

Just reported on KFI640 that the preliminary investigation looks like the metrolink engineer ran a red light

OMG, NO!! I hope that isn't true!

Hi Bean....:blowkiss:

Metrolink: Engineer error likely train crash cause

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g-xsvlkTx_cLm6dJHngndxwYFgNAD9360SPG0

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A spokeswoman for the Metrolink commuter rail service says the probable cause of the collision that killed at least 18 people was the failure of a Metrolink engineer to stop his train at a red signal.
Metrolink spokeswoman Denise Tyrrell said Saturday the engineer worked for a subcontractor that has been used by Metrolink since 199

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080913/ap_on_re_us/train_collision

Another link with good details and two victims identified. Why did the engineer work for a subcontractor and not for the MTA? That way they can make sure they have the training they need. I hope they look at the subcontractor. I wonder if he ran the light on purpose. It reminds me of that Egyptian pilot who seemed to deliberately take a plane down a few years back. Remember he was heard praying on the tape? I hope this wasn't the case.

They are saying that the engineer may have been texting with some young rail fans.
Rail-fans are sort of train groupies, usually young guys who like trains. They are saying the the last text was 4:22 and the crash was at 4:24.
The death toll is now 25.

This guy was texting??? Unbelievable. They should not be allowed cell phones or only given cell phones with no texting ability. How disgusting. He was probably reading their text when the train crashed.

Dear people of the world, DO NOT USE CELL PHONES WHEN OPERATING ANY SORT OF VEHICLES.

I almost got run off the Interstate yesterday by a cell phone user who was just drifting over into my lane.

And they're talking about making cars have internet access. And they have DVD players that are up front.

Population control I guess.

The texting is still not for sure. The times of the texts are not necessarily verified yet.NTSB is looking into it. This whole thing is very strange because not only did this seasoned engineer blow that red light, but he accelerated. Moreover, they pass this freighter every Friday so it was expected.
I truly wonder if this guy had a heart attack or a seizure or some crisis at the helm. he is so far being described as a dedicated engineer that was*by the book*. This investigation should be interesting.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back