1335 users online (244 members and 1091 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Thumbs down "cool mom" arrested giving vodka to 13 year olds

Good ol' Lanora Lucas just wanted to be a "cool mom" again so she bought a bottle of vodka for the kids attending a 13 year old girls party.

Way to go, Lanora. Two children had to be hospitalized for alcohol poisoning.

You think Lanora would have learned better parenting skills after her original "cool" parent quest when she let kids get in the trunk of her car and she was arrested. Are people just out their minds or what?

http://dcist.com/2008/09/12/cool_mom...ving_vodka.php

A bottle of vodka? what the hell is wrong with that woman?

I'm not going to lie, when I was a teenager, my parents let me have the occasional beer. That said, they certainly would never have done anything like this. What an utterly stupid and irresponsible woman.

Yikes. These kids who she bought the alcohol for weren't even hers! Why on earth would a grown adult buy hard liquor for 13 year old kids? I can understand giving your teenager a beer or glass of wine every once in a while, but a bottle of vodka for somebody elses 8th grader? She has some issues, this lady.

I feel bad for her kids- this has obviously gotten some press and it looks like they live in a pretty small town (and in the same house as 'cool mom' of the year).

I want to be a cool mom too....
    however, my step-daughter just got caught for the 2nd time smoking at school...not only that but she is being thrown out of the school since it's a district we DON'T live in...we enrolled her there planning to move, but can't as of yet.
    School has been in session there less than a month, and already she's thrown out....
    So hubby (who is tender-hearted and passive to a major fault) asked me what we should do...boy did I let it roll....
    yeah I don't want her to hate me but nor do I want her running wild and thinking she can do as she pleases (which is probably what hubby would let her do.)
    I don't want to be the bad guy either, but it seems I have too...it sucks...I wish hubby would take some responsibility and quit trying to be a "friend" which sounds like what this woman is trying to do.

Best is Lanora used to be a school bus driver.

What's the plan for the 14th birthday party? Heroin? Parents who put their own self image as a 'cool parent' ahead of their child's welfare really make my blood boil. Once the sons and daughters of 'cool parents' have grown up and been to rehab a few times and had several children by different partners their parents will be able to console themselves by saying 'at least I was cool'. My definition of a cool parent is one who tries to guide their child into becoming a healthy, educated and happy adult. A truly cool parent fights to save their child rather than supporting them in becoming the next Courtney Love.

Not Alabama but Sweet Home just the same , SC
    This makes me so sad. I had my oldest child who will be 13 in 2 months when I was only 17 and even at 17 I would not have done something like this.I love my 3 kids more than life but I am their mom not their friend.Kids grow up way to fast anyway so I do not want to rush that process.There is two lessons to be learned here 1- Be a parent . Your child has many friends and needs a parent in you not a friend! 2- Know who your children's friends and the parent's of the friends are.If I had of know this woman was already arrested for doing something as stupid and dangerous as letting kids ride in the trunk my kid would never be around this person ever again!

Quote Originally Posted by White Rain View Post
    ~snip~
    I don't want to be the bad guy either, but it seems I have too...it sucks...I wish hubby would take some responsibility and quit trying to be a "friend" which sounds like what this woman is trying to do.
    My ex does the same thing. He refuses to discipline the kids when they go over for weekend visits, and now I'm having problems with my dd (age 13) because she wants to live with her "cool" dad. Over my dead body.

I actually have heard of some parents in my community who throw drinking parties for their minor kids. All the families know each other, so when the kids have get-togethers it's an agreed-upon conclusion that alcohol will be served because the parents have each others' permission.

This was the same lady that got caught with her kids in the trunk of the car here in MD... now this! I hope I don't offend anyone when I say this: what a pure out IDIOT!