Infant dead, mauled by pet pit bulls!

You'll get no argument from me, Patty as a relative of a person that was mauled by a pitbull.

This poor, poor baby. The poor Grandmom.

I think Ill skip the posts of the Pit Bull champions who will argue pasionately that its all anti pit bull propaganda and the infant brought it on itself because the PitBull thought it was fighting for its life, Mine is like a member of the family ect.ect. ad nauseum...
They are in denial,period.
These animals are not suitable for domestication and need to exist nowhere but in the Zoo.
If you had a brand of SUV or a childs toy that had caused as many child deaths as these dogs it would have been re-called years ago.

Poor Baby. What were the parents thinking having this breed of dog around an infant? Especially since the dogs were known to have behavioral issues.....

I was at a bbq last night where the family has a pit along with 2 other dogs. I petted him several times along with the other dogs. While he was well trained and never a sign of behavior problems never in a million years would I leave a baby, toddler, young child or older person vulnerable to him. That poor baby! I do find the parents reponsible for this, it was so totally preventable.

VB

That poor baby girl.

I babysat a pit bull puppy years ago, and I would never, ever own one.

I feel so sorry for this baby. I definitely consider my pitbull a member of the family. However, not everyone could or should be a pitbull owner. They are a very high energy, powerful dog. They require lots of exercise. They are also very stubborn & require LOTS of training. I cannot imagine under any circumstances having ANY dog unsupervised with an infant.

Mine will protect my little girl Dachshund from anyone or anything. When mine gets out in a public campground, he's a sweety to everyone. When I'm on the hiking trail, no alligator, human predator or snake would get to me without a fight.

I think that's where people get to trusting them around their little ones - they're just so darned AWESOME that you can't imagine they'd hurt a baby. Until they do.

Unfortunately, my new male Dachshund and new little goat aren't on the "good" list whenever the neighbor's pit and mine are together. (Like bad company teenage boys!) I have to have an elaborate system of fencing to let the goat out to eat the grass, without the dogs thinking he's a play toy.

So sad for this little girl and her family. You never leave any dog or any ANIMIAL alone with a child. It could be a Chihuahua or a pit-bull or a cat. People need to learn all pets can be dangerous no matter what breed, intentional or not. I do not feel pits or rotts should be isolated to a zoo or annihilated, some people should just not own them.

No infant of 4 months should EVER be left alone with ANY breed of dog. The poor baby is utterly helpless to get away or defend itself. Even if the dog only intended to "play" with the baby, I've seen the way my dogs play with their stuffed toys. They are "disemboweled" in minutes. Unfortunately humans created a monster when they used selective breeding to develop a dog with greater than normal agression.

I find it interesting to show people American Temperament Test Society, Inc. breed statistics. American pit bull terriers have a 84.3% passage rate compared to only 77% passage rate of the general dog population. They had higher scores than dogs such as golden retrievers, yorkies, cocker spaniels and chihuahuas. Some people will always choose to blame the breed though, disregarding irresponsible owners, cruel living arrangements such as being chained up outside, etc.

http://www.atts.org/stats1.html

I find it interesting to show people American Temperament Test Society, Inc. breed statistics. American pit bull terriers have a 84.3% passage rate compared to only 77% passage rate of the general dog population. They had higher scores than dogs such as golden retrievers, yorkies, cocker spaniels and chihuahuas. Some people will always choose to blame the breed though, disregarding irresponsible owners, cruel living arrangements such as being chained up outside, etc.

http://www.atts.org/stats1.html

Thanks for the link. It shows people that it is not the breed to blame, but owners who did not do enough research on the needs of the breed or thsoe who neglected them.

I will never blame a breed of dog for their behaviour. Any breed, *ANY* breed of dog, needs to be trained as to who is head honcho of their family pack. Any animal who believes they are above another, human or other animal, is going to take advantage to show they are head of the household.

It is a proven fact that any child brought into a family household should be watched because of jealousy or being looked as a threat to the pack. It should never, ever be ignored on any level. I had family members who had a child whose cat had major issues against their infant. Big time.

People are responsible for how they choose to interact, discipline, train, and keep them knowing they are lower (pack thing) than they are. I cannot imagine no one saw any issues with these dogs. It does not happen overnight. Humans are responsible for how pets are and should be handled.

Just say'in. FWIW...

I have a 3 month old grandson and will not leave him alone with my little Maltese or even my cats. You never know how an animal will react to a child. They make shrill sounds that can be construed as an injured animal and when they are big enough to walk look similar to young prey. And we had a couple of piy bulls and chow chows while we were growing up and these breeds are more likely to attack.

Look over at my avatar. The dog you see in it is incredibly loyal. He is the reason I am not afraid that I will become a victim of another violent crime.

The reason I can put my faith in my dog is because I allow him to be a dog. I don't expect him to understand the nuances of an infant. I do not ever put him in a situation where he could ever hurt my child or any other individual or animal. Before my son was born we had our dog evaluated by one of the trainers for the GPD's dog unit. I am very aware of the danger of a family dog because my husband was attacked by a dog when he was four. The dog that attacked him was a German Shepherd. He had his face repaired and he looks ok now, at 38. He was incredibly lucky.

I don't care how grand your dog is. I don't care how thoroughly researched his bloodlines are. I don't care what you paid for him or even if he's therapy dog certified (my other shep was.)

Never leave an animal alone with an infant. I mean, hey, we supervise the tortoise with kids, too.

It's nice to see so many responsible folk here agreeing about this.

So sad for this little girl and her family. You never leave any dog or any ANIMIAL alone with a child. It could be a Chihuahua or a pit-bull or a cat. People need to learn all pets can be dangerous no matter what breed, intentional or not. I do not feel pits or rotts should be isolated to a zoo or annihilated, some people should just not own them.

The only two dogs that have ever bitten me were Chihuahua and a docile mutt I had played with all day long. (The Chihuahua bit me just because. The mutt bit me when I went to pet it 'goodbye' and it was eating.) I pet any dog, any breed, anytime I see one. (I'm annoying like that.)

If you ask a dog behaviorist, probably every bite can be attributed to some trigger of the dog's natural instinct. If we want to own pitt bulls or any other dog, we need to figure out how to protect others from the possibility of a trigger.

I will admit, my rottweiller that I had when I had a daycare for 5 years, slept with the kids at naptime. He was extremely protective and I never had an ounce of trouble from him with any of the kids. Even this sweetheart bit the UPS man though. The trigger was, the UPS man always brought boxes to my house, but on this one occassion, asked to use the phone. I stepped back to let him step in the house. The dog sensed a threat to me and bit him.

You just never know.

The only two dogs that have ever bitten me were Chihuahua and a docile mutt I had played with all day long. (The Chihuahua bit me just because. The mutt bit me when I went to pet it 'goodbye' and it was eating.) I pet any dog, any breed, anytime I see one. (I'm annoying like that.)

If you ask a dog behaviorist, probably every bite can be attributed to some trigger of the dog's natural instinct. If we want to own pitt bulls or any other dog, we need to figure out how to protect others from the possibility of a trigger.

I will admit, my rottweiller that I had when I had a daycare for 5 years, slept with the kids at naptime. He was extremely protective and I never had an ounce of trouble from him with any of the kids. Even this sweetheart bit the UPS man though. The trigger was, the UPS man always brought boxes to my house, but on this one occassion, asked to use the phone. I stepped back to let him step in the house. The dog sensed a threat to me and bit him.

You just never know.

Please ask before you pet my dog. :)

It is a sad sad situation. There really isn't much that can be said. The dog should be put down. You can't blame every single pittbull. But you can blame that particular one.
It wasn't to long ago that the Doberman had the same reputation, and the pittbull was just the cute dog from the little rascals named petey.

It is a horrible situation if it was any other kind of dog, I'm not so sure it would have made headlines.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back