1082 users online (226 members and 856 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

KS - Kelsey Smith, 18, abducted & murdered, Overland Park, 2 June 2007

Hall stood up in the courtroom durning a change of venue hearing and pleaded guilty to the charges.
    http://www.wibw.com/home/headlines/25813639.html
    Olathe , MO) AP- A Kansas man pleads guilty to the kidnapping, rape and murder of a suburban Kansas City teenager snatched from a store parking lot last year.

Twenty-seven-year-old Edwin Hall pleaded guilty Wednesday to
    capital murder, aggravated kidnapping, rape and sodomy in the June
    2007 death of 18-year-old Kelsey Smith.

The Overland Park, Kan., teenager was taken from a Target
    parking lot. Her body was found four days later in a Missouri park.

Hall's plea came during what was supposed to be a change-of-venue hearing.

It also came a day after a judge ruled that prosecutors could still seek the death penalty for Hall, even though Johnson County District Attorney Phill Kline failed to put his address, telephone number and registration number on a legal notice.

IMO the motive behind Hall pleading guilty today of capital murder is in hopes of sparing himself the death penality. I'm sure he and his attorney will plead to the judge that since he admitted guilt and saved Kelsey's family from the heartach of going through a trial and the tax payers of KS alot of money they are hoping the judge will sentence Hall to life with no possiblity of parole. I hope and pray the judge gives him the death penality. I'm sure they will try to save him from the death penalty using a mental illness with a low IQ.

RIP Kelsey

Agreed. A lot of us had the feeling that he'd do this to save his bacon.

Right now I have mixed feelings about this outcome. Part of me is glad that the family has been spared a trial, but part of me also feels that he should have been tried, convicted and given the DP.

Maybe right now I am more stunned. I'll have to let it sink it a little.
    http://websleuths.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18587&dateline=122036  8386

Quote Originally Posted by Armandv101 View Post
    Agreed. A lot of us had the feeling that he'd do this to save his bacon.

Right now I have mixed feelings about this outcome. Part of me is glad that the family has been spared a trial, but part of me also feels that he should have been tried, convicted and given the DP.

Maybe right now I am more stunned. I'll have to let it sink it a little.
    Armand, the plea is the best thing. Really. I was scared to death that Kline would make a mistake. I have family and friends in LE and who are attorneys, and all were worried about a misstep.

This is the best possible outcome. I'd heard about this plea deal a while back, and I a SO glad it came to be.

Quote Originally Posted by luvbeaches View Post
    Armand, the plea is the best thing. Really. I was scared to death that Kline would make a mistake. I have family and friends in LE and who are attorneys, and all were worried about a misstep.

This is the best possible outcome. I'd heard about this plea deal a while back, and I a SO glad it came to be.

I meant to say, "sink in a little."

I agree, this is the best we could hope for since Kansas hasn't put to death anyone since dinosaurs ruled the earth.

I could see why they copped the plea. The evidence was overwhelming.

Let me say this one last time, "Hall was toast!"
    http://websleuths.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18587&dateline=122036  8386

I hope that's a typo. I hope they meant Hall.

Still, somehow I really don't feel in a celebratory mood.
    Last edited by chicoliving; 07-24-2008 at 01:07 AM. Reason: removed quote that was from a deleted post

I'm not sure it's worth it to go through all that's necessary to get him the DP. At least he'll die in prison. That's all that counts.

Like you said, he's TOAST.

Bless Kelsey and her family.
    It's a sad case.
    No winners.

fran

Quote Originally Posted by Armandv101 View Post
    I hope that's a typo. I hope they meant Hall.

Still, somehow I really don't feel in a celebratory mood.
    I think I'll delete that, damn reporters! Thanks Armand

Liz is offline I am not a chemist and this is not my 1st rodeo
    Thanks for the news, Windchime!

I hope that the Smith family is happy with this outcome. If they're happy about it, then I'm happy! My thoughts and prayers are with them.

Unhappy

RIP Kelsey. I so sorry you had to endure all you did. What a tragic waste of a beautiful young life. At least he confessed. He will pay.
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

I am so thankful for this outcome. The family will not need to go through a horrible trial, and further details will be kept private. They can now grieve and focus on the beautiful memories they have of Kelsey instead of court dates, media statements etc. Its time this family has some time to heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Busylady View Post
    I am so thankful for this outcome. The family will not need to go through a horrible trial, and further details will be kept private. They can now grieve and focus on the beautiful memories they have of Kelsey instead of court dates, media statements etc. Its time this family has some time to heal.
    I agree, what we heard today in court was bad enough............more than bad, sick, sick!

OMG!!!

My first reactions are relief and joy. I was scared (almost convinced) he would get out of this...somehow. However, as it sinks in, my feelings might change. I, too, wanted the death penalty. I haven't kept close to this case for personal reasons, but it's one that means a lot to me. For now...I am pleased.

Rest in peace Kelsey... you can rest now, knowing that this trash will pay for what he did to you and your family. God bless you all.

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

Thoughts and prayers to the friends and family of Kelsey Smith. There is no real justice in this turn of events, but it's probably the best that could be hoped for.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast