Judge Napalotanio on the case so far

nursebeeme

Reaction score
http://www.myfoxorlando.com/myfox/M....jsp?contentId=7446755&version=1&locale=EN-US

I am not one to start a thread on one video...but I found a lot of the judge's legal remarks very interesting... especially his opinion on the amount of time casey could end up getting (a third of the 67 years! which is a heck of a lot more than the three we were hearing from NG legal panel). Another interesting tidbit was his take on the cops, the timing of the economic charges and what could be ahead in that regard. Anyhow, here is a place to watch the video and discuss the various elements of this case, as we know it today, 16 Sept 2008.

I know that sentencing guidelines in my state call for a range, not a single number for the sentence. It's not simply that you check off the checklist and come up with a single total.

And the lawyer talking on NG really would have no idea what would or wouldn't be included plus or minus on that checklist when the trials haven't been held yet.

Now I'm going to go listen to the judge.

I saw this guy the other day of myfoxorlando. He said that the cops could be lying about the decomp, dna, and chloroform in the back of her car. He did not say that they were, but he just said that sometimes cops do that. According to him, cops will make public statements like those just to smoke people out. Also, he said that LE can make those statements and they are not in any way illegal. They might be damaging to certain people, but they have to do what they have to do to get the perp.

i could go for the 25 yrs right now. can't they still file murder charges later?? i know murder doesn't have a time limit but if she goes to jail for other charges can they still file murder on her if Caylee is found??

i could go for the 25 yrs right now. can't they still file murder charges later?? i know murder doesn't have a time limit but if she goes to jail for other charges can they still file murder on her if Caylee is found??

Of course they can file a murder charge against Casey, even if she's found guilty of other charges and sentenced to prison. Being found guilty of one crime doesn't absolve a person of another crime. And, if you're thinking of "double jeopardy", that means a person can't be tried twice for the same crime. They can be tried for different crimes.

I saw this guy the other day of myfoxorlando. He said that the cops could be lying about the decomp, dna, and chloroform in the back of her car. He did not say that they were, but he just said that sometimes cops do that. According to him, cops will make public statements like those just to smoke people out. Also, he said that LE can make those statements and they are not in any way illegal. They might be damaging to certain people, but they have to do what they have to do to get the perp.

Eee-gads! I pray they have that have the decomp hair, chloroform etc!!!!!!

The monster has been SO all-fire cocky since day one, imagine if its because she knows darn well that Caylee was NOT placed in the trunk!

Honestly, I dont think I could handle it if that turned out to be the case. You would hear me screaming all the way from Australia...

Yes, theres a guy local to me that was serving a life sentence in prison for murder and they are now charging him with another murder that happened about 15-20 yrs ago because they were finally able to match dna up with his.

Eee-gads! I pray they have that have the decomp hair, chloroform etc!!!!!!

The monster has been SO all-fire cocky since day one, imagine if its because she knows darn well that Caylee was NOT placed in the trunk!

Honestly, I dont think I could handle it if that turned out to be the case. You would hear me screaming all the way from Australia...

I didn't like the Judge during the Laci Peterson/Scott Peterson case. He was following in the steps of Mark Geragos.

I just watched him on this video. Are cops really allowed to put all of this out in public if it's not true? What about the smell in the car? Cindy was the one who said that it smelled like a dead body had been in the car. Maybe it wasn't Caylee's body? Now I'm reaching but I would love nothing more than to see Caylee alive. Maybe Casey saying that she would never see Caylee again would mean that if she is found, she will not be able to see her again because her parents would get custody and not allow her to see her again?

I didn't like the Judge during the Laci Peterson/Scott Peterson case. He was following in the steps of Mark Geragos.

I just watched him on this video. Are cops really allowed to put all of this out in public if it's not true? What about the smell in the car? Cindy was the one who said that it smelled like a dead body had been in the car. Maybe it wasn't Caylee's body? Now I'm reaching but I would love nothing more than to see Caylee alive. Maybe Casey saying that she would never see Caylee again would mean that if she is found, she will not be able to see her again because her parents would get custody and not allow her to see her again?

Yes they are. If the smell in the car wasn't decomp, how are they gonna explain their dogs and det being wrong. When they had the DNA for months and this is still a missing person's case, I thought they might be bluffing. She could still be dead, but the body being in the car just seemed to wrap the case up a little too neatly.

I thought it was illegal for LE to say that they have certain evidence or witnesses to coherse you to confess?? I am pretty sure they can't do that.

I hope that's not the case, but I suppose it is possible. With all due respect to LE, the public statements they've released thus far concering evidence amounts to blanket statements. All the talk about specifics such as DNA, decomp gases, chloroform and death bands have been assumption and speculation by the media and the public.

Not that it matters to what's being discussed here, but MyFoxOrlando really did a hatchet job on the Judge's name! They had it as Napalotanio when it's really Napolitano. That's pretty odd considering that he works for Fox!

Anyway, this Judge is from my neck of the woods (NJ) and when I worked as a legal assistant both of my bosses knew him and spoke very highly of him, so when he became a TV analyst I paid a lot of attention to him and what he had to say - not so much in recent years, though, and I found his analysis here to be somewhat odd because he was playing devil's advocate to himself. One minute he seemed to be criticizing the cops and the next he was trying to be kindly diplomatic about his take on what kind of person KC is.

I seriously doubt KC will do so much time (20 some odd years) on the check/neglect/lying to LE charges. Putting those kinds of numbers out there could simply be another tactic to try to scare KC into talking.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back