GUILTY MO - Jimmie Burnett, 1, beaten to death, Blue Springs, 12 Sept 2008

rccook555

Reaction score
I have no words for a case like this. :furious:

Independence, MO —
A 1-year-old boy died of injuries allegedly caused by his mother and her boyfriend, according to Jackson County Prosecutor Jim Kanatzer.

The boy, whose name wasn’t released, suffered from malnutrition, a broken arm, fractured skull and ribs, and a severed tongue, Kanatzer said at a news conference on Monday, announcing the charges against Kyle W. Cooper, 25, and Kimberly Helmes, 21. Each has been charged with one count of second-degree murder and endangering the welfare of a child. They are each being held on $500,000 bond.

Helmes was the boy’s mother. Cooper was her boyfriend.

According to documents from Kanatzar’s office and the Independence Police Department:

Independence police were called Friday to the 25000 block of East 31st Terrace South on a report of a 1-year-old who wasn’t breathing. The home is in the area of far southeast Independence near the border with Blue Springs at Missouri 7 and Pink Hill Road. Helmes told police she and Cooper had been living there with his parents during this time.

The child was upstairs, lying on the bedroom floor wearing only a diaper. There appeared to be vomit on his left arm and on the floor.

Helmes initially told police she put the baby in a playpen around 4 p.m. Friday for a nap. She checked him about two hours later. He wasn’t breathing, and she called 911.

Helmes told authorities the boy had breathing problems for several months.

Police found the boy’s tongue was “grossly lacerated” all the way through. The cut ran vertically and covered about half the length of the tongue.

http://www.examiner.net/news/x1780975803/Baby-found-dead-mom-and-her-boyfriend-charged

More at link.

I'm sorry, I just can't bring myself to click on that link. :(

From the link above:
".....
The children – the deceased boy and a 2-year-old son – were in protective custody in May while the state investigated excessive bruising on the 2-year-old. The children were returned four days later, court documents said.

“If we had it all over to do again, I wish the child had not been returned to the mother,” Kanatzer said. “I can’t judge because I don’t know what information they had at that point, but obviously in retrospect, it was a mistake to return the children to their mother.”

The court documents say that in an interview with police after hearing the results of the medical examiner’s investigation of her son’s injuries, Helmes told investigators “he killed my son.” She then told them she had seen Cooper hitting, smacking and kicking her sons and being abusive toward them on a regular basis, according to court documents. That is when she said Cooper assaulted the boy on Labor Day weekend, causing the injuries.

The child, unfortunately, had been slowly dying since Labor Day weekend, Kanatzer said. However, investigators haven’t pinpointed exactly when the child died.

The abuse had been ongoing over a long period of time.

Kanatzer said Helmes was aware of prior instances of abuse at the hands of Cooper but “did nothing to keep him away from the children or keep him from abusing.”

Investigators don’t have information that Helmes participated in the physical abuse, Kanatzer said. But she’s liable for the protection of her child at the hands of others, like her boyfriend.

“It’s everyone’s responsibility to report any kind of suspicion of child abuse that they may witness to the police department,” he said.

“In these types of cases, it’s not unusual for the custodial parent covering up the actions of the abuser. I think it’s readily apparent from this investigation that we’re looking at here is that unfortunately the mother’s first inclination was to cover up and protect the abuser, and it’s really, really disturbing because a child of this age has no one else to count on other than his mother for protection and safety.”"

So the kids were returned (right away) in May, the mother very well knew that her boyfriend was abusing the children and did nothing?? :mad:

Those children should have never been returned to her. That poor, poor baby.

Another reason in the very long list of why there should be some kind of process potential parents should go through before they are allowed to have children. If you want to adopt a child you have to go through a rigorous process complete with psychological evaluations but anyone can pop out as many kids as they want.

RIP little angel. WHY WHY WHY did they return those poor kids to her? If the 2 year old have extensive bruising that was a red flag right there that something was not right. I think if they lived with his parents and they did nothing, they should be charged also. I hope the surviving baby gets a good loving home.

CPS is a joke. They returned these kids to their death sentence. sadly one had to die to save another one. ITs both of their fault. The mother knew what he was doing and did nothing. That poor defenseless child.

CPS is a joke. They returned these kids to their death sentence. sadly one had to die to save another one. ITs both of their fault. The mother knew what he was doing and did nothing. That poor defenseless child.

More people will love you in death than ever loved you in life, little one. You are out of the reach of those who hurt you-God comfort and keep you.

Just reading the snippet of the article is enough to make me cry. I can't open the full article. How can anyone do that to their child, or even watch their boyfriend do that to the child. When my son was 3 months old I accidently cut his thumb nail to short and it bled it little. It hurt him and he was crying and I was crying. I felt horrible for hurting him. How can these women have babies and not even feel the true emotions real mothers feel?
RIP baby boy. God will give you peace and happiness.

More people will love you in death than ever loved you in life, little one. You are out of the reach of those who hurt you-God comfort and keep you.

I am sitting here crying and this just made me lose it more!!! So true!!

My son is nine months old now, and I swear that I would *ahem* MESS UP anyone who I saw deliberately hurting him. I don't care if it is family, best friend for years, or bf, they would be in the hospital or worse when I got done with them. That woman is crazy, and she shouldn't have any more children to kill. That is what she did. She helped kill that poor baby by doing *nothing.*

my heart just breaks for this little one.. I cant fathom the nightmare his life has been from the start..I also cant for the life of me figure out why those children were returned to the "care" of the mother. At least now this little one will no longer have to endure the pain and suffering he has known his whole life.. and his brother will have a chance at a normal life without also being a victim to these 2 scumbags.. I cant imagine how any "mother" can sit idly by while someone hurts your baby.. or while they are slowly dying and you know it.. aparenrlt they cant even figure out how to dial 911.. that BS about not having a car etc just enrages me. Just so many cases like this where everyone and the CPS system have failed yet another child.. there are just sooooo many....

How in the world can they look in these little ones eyes and know they are hurting them? It's beyond me.

What a horrible story!! That poor baby, I can't even imagine the torture he went through. Although all of his injuries were horrific the thing that caught my eye was the tongue injury. First of all, how do you lacerate a tongue vertically? It caught my attention because I bit through my tongue during a car accident as a teen, but it was horizontal and it had to be stitched back on. Also, of course the poor thing couldn't eat! After my injury, my tongue swelled like a baseball in my mouth for a week and I could only have liquids and things like jello and ice cream. I remember it was incredibly painful. I can't imagine what this poor baby went through. But at least I had loving parents to care for me, not cause me pain! RIP sweet baby.

Did you see the picture of the two scum bags? They look like meth addicts. I hate that drug.

One more example of people who shouldn't have been able to have children.

imo drugs were a large part of these peoples lives, that is not excusing what they did however! there needs to be many charges against them, that baby was tortured for months until death finally brought some peace. the boyfriends parents were there also and did nothing, many people failed these babies. Someone must have cared enough to report the bruising on the older baby, they must have felt hopeless when they were returned :(

VB

That so-called "man" is one of the creepiest, meanest looking "people" I have ever seen.

That poor little boy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back