535 users online (56 members and 479 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Jewelry

JANE DOE'S RINGs

JOHN DOE'S RING

Indian jewelry with leafs and flowers were popular in the 70's and the black onyx or jet ring with what looks to me like inlaid turquoise could be Zuni. The Acoma Pueblo is right by Grants, New Mexico and I was thinking perhaps they were souvenirs?

Janes 3rd ring
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jocks Watch

and a pic of a Lindy Star Stone
    Attached Images Attached Images

The third ring with the blue stones appears to be costume jewelry as the finish appears to be flaking off the metal from what I can see. Maybe its dirt but I would think they would have wiped it off. The stones appear to be chalcedony or maybe blue moonstone and probably simulants.

Was anyone ever able to get information on the markings inside the Indian jewelry? The artist usually stamps their signature mark inside. Would be able pinpoint where the jewelry was possibly sold.

Quote Originally Posted by amethyst View Post
    Was anyone ever able to get information on the markings inside the Indian jewelry? The artist usually stamps their signature mark inside. Would be able pinpoint where the jewelry was possibly sold.
    I dont think they ever made that public, at least I dont know I have never seen that info anywhere.

I have some Native American jewelry that has no stamp inside it, so it is possible that no signature was ever put on it.

Quote Originally Posted by anthrobones View Post
    I have some Native American jewelry that has no stamp inside it, so it is possible that no signature was ever put on it.
    that makes sense...i used to be really into it in the 70s & know that the only ones with stamps generally either were Mexican made or mass produced. none of my 'authentic' native jewellery ever had stamps.
    'Curiosity is, in great and generous minds, the first passion and the last.' Dr Samuel Johnson

There are many publications where one may reference the hallmarks of many native americans. No, not all of the jewelry is marked. There are many who use no hallmark. Those who do sometimes don't see the need to mark all pieces. Not all hallmarks are included in these publications, but are known in the communities the artist is from. There are many mass producers who have product claiming to be "indian made" that looks authentic to the casual buyer but is not. Counterfiet product was a big problem back in the seventies as well. An organization was created in '74 here in Albuquerque called the Indian Arts and Crafts Association to combat it.
    Last edited by amethyst; 01-09-2009 at 07:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Edinburgh currently, but Wales is where my home always is
    [QUOTE=christine2448;2707056]
    JANE DOE'S RINGs

The 2 stone and leaf ring seems to be only half a ring, like a friendship/love ring where a ring splits into 2 and is completed when both halves are placed side by side.

I found some vintage rings on Ebay that look a lot like Jane's feather ring.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Sterling...item256f223078

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NATIVE-AMERI...item3a70a5370b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Nava...item3374219d98

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Turq...item2a1bcda272

According to my research, these style of rings are common in both Mexican and Southwestern U.S. Native American cultures.

Her third ring looks very crudely made. I don't see stones when I look at it, I see concave spots with color applied inside, like enamel.

The black ring looks like jet or obsidian with either turquoise or australian opal applied in a manner similar to intarsia or pieta dura.

Looking at the two southwestern rings, I feel pretty confident saying that were made by different people. One has a serrated bezel and the other has a flat bezel. One has braiding around the bottom of the bezel, a great way to hide the solder and add a decorative element. The shanks of the rings are completely different, one has three elements and the other is one that splits off into two.

The black ring is more finely crafted. Smooth bezels and inlaid stones take more skill than serrated bezels.

That is my long winded way of saying that if any of the three rings could be traced, I suspect it is the long black one, as it is the most finely crafted.

I wish there were pictures from different angles.

-Necco (can you tell I make jewelry?)

This is the closest match to Jane's coral and turquoise ring I've found to date.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/16258121...earch_type=all

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby88 View Post
    This is the closest match to Jane's coral and turquoise ring I've found to date.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/16258121...earch_type=all
    Eerily similar!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast