FL FL - Jay-Quan Mosley, 10 mos, Jacksonville, 22 April 2004 *J. Mosley guilty*

Doyle

Reaction score
Website
www.
Bloodhounds, helicopters, and a team of at least 70 officers and police recruits joined the search for a missing mother and her baby. The teams searched several wooded areas in North Jacksonville Wednesday afternoon.

Police say they found no signs of 40-year-old Lynda Wilkes and her 10-month-old son, Jay Quan Mosley. The areas they searched were chosen either because of a possible lead, or its closeness to the last place Wilkes is known to have been, the JC Penney shopping center off Dunn Ave.
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid=17991

A subdued and quiet John Mosley, Jr. sat down to his first on-camera interview late Tuesday night. It's exactly a day after he met with Jacksonville Sheriff's detectives to answer questions about the afternoon Lynda Wilkes and Jay-Quan Mosley were last seen.
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/crimestoppers/news-article.aspx?storyid=17945

Police have identified the body of 40 year old Lynda Wilkes. Wilkes and her 10 month old son Jay-Quan Mosley have been missing since April 22nd. A sketch from a tip led police to a wooded area south of Waldo off Highway 301. On Firday Night police found the body of a woman there. At a news conference Sunday Night, Jacksonville Sheriff John Rutherford confirmed that the body is that of Lynda Wilkes.
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid=18115

Apparently this thread never got followed up on because they were found murdered :(

Wilkes-Quan-Side-by-Side_tn.jpg
Thursday, April 22, 2004
Lynda Wilkes, 40, and 10-month-old son Jay-Quan Mosley are reported missing from a shopping center at Dunn Ave. and Lem Turner. Relatives find her abandoned car in a parking lot.
Read this story

Jay-Quan-_tn.jpg
Monday, April 26, 2004
- Jacksonville Sheriff's Office calls disappearance of Wilkes and Mosley suspicious.

- Investigators call John Mosley, Jr., a "person of interest" in the disappearance.

-John Mosley is questioned at JSO headquarters and released.
Read this story

Mosley-Intvu.jpg
Tuesday, April 27, 2004
- John Mosley sits down and talks with First Coast News reporter Cathleen O'Toole for his only TV interview. Mosley says he saw Lynda and Jay-Quan for about 15 minutes, showed them a house, but they were fine when he left them.
Read this story

- JSO launches major search with more than 70 officers combing a wooded area near shopping center where Wilkes was last seen.
Read this story

bloodhound_tn.jpg
Wednesday, April 28, 2004
- Police continue their search of wooded areas near the shopping center. Bloodhounds are brought in from Virginia to help out.
Read this story

- It is announced that "Team Adam" would be assisting in the case.
Read this story

- First Coast News learned officers searched an area in central Florida at night between Citra and Ocala by helicopter.

Mosley-Mug.jpg
Thursday, April 29, 2004
- John Mosley is arrested on sex charges involving a 17 year old girl.

- Authorities search Highway 301 between Citra and Ocala again.
Read this story

Wilkes-Sketch.jpg
Friday, April 30, 2004
- JSO releases a sketch of a grassy area related to the case. Authorities hope someone recognizes it.
Read this story

- John Mosley appears in court on sex assault charges. Judge sets bond at $100,003.

- Later that night, a body is found in Alachua County. Body is found in an area resembling sketch.
Read this story

Wilkes-Body-Found.jpg
Sunday, May 2, 2004
- Remains found in Alachua County on April 30 are identified as Lynda Wilkes after family gives dental records to police.

dumpster_tn.jpg
Monday, May 3, 2004
- Police confirm that Jay-Quan was left in a dumpster. A source says that dumpster is behind a grocery store in Ocala.
Read this story

- John Mosley appears in court for a child support hearing. He claims he is not Jay-Quan's father and should not have to pay nearly $40 a week in child support. The judge postpones the hearing. Mosley's bond is increased to $500,000. Read this story

- Police begin a 4-day search of the Onyx landfill in Valdosta, Georgia.
Read this story

Jay-Quan-Landfill.jpg
Wednesday, May 5, 2004
- Crews searching landfill is twice the size from the day before. Dated newspapers and a collection of shoes and clothing is gathered.
Read this story

mosley_tn.jpg
Thursday, May 6, 2004
- Mosley charged with two counts of murder in the deaths of Lynda Wilkes and Jay-Quan Mosley.

- 15 year old boy charged with accessory to murder after the fact for helping dispose of the bodies.

- JSO suspends search of landfill in Valdosta. Close to 800 tons of trash searched by volunteers. Baby clothing and shoes recovered as possible evidence.
Read this story

tiakid_tn.jpg
Friday, May 7, 2004
- 15 year old boy appears in juvenile court. He told investigators he saw Mosley strangle Wilkes and place Jay-Quan in a bag. Authorities also say the teen also helped Mosley hide the bodies. Jay-Quan's body has not been found.
Read this story

- Mosley appears in court to face two counts of murder. Case likely to go to a grand jury. Prosecutors say they'll decide later on the death penalty.
Read this story

Saturday, May 8, 2004
- Dozens of people hold a vigil to celebrate the lives of Lynda Wilkes and Jay-Quan Mosley.
Read this story

Sunday, June 13, 2004
- Lynda Wilkes laid to rest.

Thursday, July 1, 2004
- A grand jury indicts John Mosley, charging him with two counts of first-degree murder.

Key dates in missing mom case

spacer.gif

The Associated Press
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Following are the key dates in the case against John Mosley, charged with first-degree murder in the deaths of Lynda Wilkes, 40, and her 10-month-old son, Jay-Quan Mosley:

_ April 22, 2004: Lynda Wilkes and Jay-Quan are reported missing after meeting with John Mosley, reportedly to ask for child support for the child. She claimed Mosley was the father of the baby, but Mosley has denied it.

_ April 27, 2004: John Mosley questioned by police about disappearances.

_ April 29, 2004: John Mosley arrested on unrelated sexual assault charge.

_ May 1, 2004: Wilkes' burned body found along roadside near Waldo in Alachua County after police receive tip.

_ May 3, 2004: Investigators begin searching landfill near Valdosta, Ga., looking for Jay-Quan's body.

_ May 6, 2004: Mosley is charged with two counts of murder. Teen informant charged as accessory after the fact. Search for Jay-Quan called off.

_ May 28, 2004: Mosley pleads innocent at his arraignment.

_ July 2, 2004: Mosley indicted on two counts of first-degree murder. State Attorney Harry Shorstein announces state will seek the death penalty if Mosley is convicted.

_ Nov. 7, 2005: Jury selection begins in Mosley's trial.

_ Nov. 9, 2005: Opening arguments given in trial.

Courteous of: http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/news/13123864.htm

Witness tells of screaming baby being stuffed into plastic bag

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A 16-year-old admitted drug dealer calmly told jurors Wednesday that he watched John Mosley Jr. strangle a woman, but he broke into sobs when describing holding open a plastic bag while the man stuffed her screaming baby into it.
Bernard Griffin's testimony came on the opening day of Mosley's trial on two charges of first-degree murder in the deaths of 40-year-old Lynda Wilkes and her 10-month-old son, Jay-Quan Mosley.

Assistant State Attorney Libby Senterfitt told jurors in an opening statement that Mosley strangled the woman and suffocated her baby to avoid an upcoming hearing to determine if he was the infant's father. Prosecutors want the death penalty.

Griffin said when Mosley picked him up on April 22, 2004, Wilkes and her baby were in the passenger seat of Mosley's SUV.

The teenager, dressed in brown prison clothes and shackled at his hands and feet, said Mosley drove to a deserted area, told the woman to get out of the car and then strangled her with his hands.

"She was trying to defend herself. She was scratching," Griffin said. "Then she stopped moving."

Griffin said he just sat there as Wilkes was killed.

"I've never seen nothing like that before," he said.

The teenager testified Mosley put a bag over Wilkes head and placed her in the rear of the SUV.

Griffin said Mosley asked him to get a black plastic garbage bag and hold it open. The screaming baby was placed in the bag, which was tied and placed next to his mother's body.

At that point in his account, Griffin buried his head in his hands for several seconds.

More: http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/news/breaking_news/13123855.htm

This is just horrible. Another father that decided murder was better than paying child support. He must have known that baby was his or he would have had DNA tests run to prove that he wasn't.

One article said that the baby was found in a dumpster and from then on it said that the baby wasn't found and the search for him was called off. I'll never understand how anyone could do what that man did to that baby.

I hope and pray that this worthless piece of garbage gets the death penalty. I've never heard of this case before today. I hope someone keeps up with the trial and keeps us informed. Just so sad.

Thank you PrayersforMaura, for finding this and updating. I probably missed more of them than this one since I came on, so I truly appreciate your help. I will move this to the Located Information forum now.

Animal

Bobbisangel said:
This is just horrible. Another father that decided murder was better than paying child support. He must have known that baby was his or he would have had DNA tests run to prove that he wasn't.
To make matters worse, if that is possible: the child support was $40 a week. That's $2080 a year. A decent used car costs more than that.

Update for all: John Mosley's been convicted and the jury recommended he be sentenced to death for Jay-Quan's murder. I am thinking the verdict may well be overturned on appeal, though, as the defense attorney presented only two witnesses. Mosley might well argue that he had ineffective counsel.

But there's a measure of justice in this verdict, anyhow. I can't imagine a person who would murder an infant child in cold blood. And all to keep from paying child support of $40 a week, less than $10 a day.

meggilyweggily said:
Update for all: John Mosley's been convicted and the jury recommended he be sentenced to death for Jay-Quan's murder. I am thinking the verdict may well be overturned on appeal, though, as the defense attorney presented only two witnesses. Mosley might well argue that he had ineffective counsel.

But there's a measure of justice in this verdict, anyhow. I can't imagine a person who would murder an infant child in cold blood. And all to keep from paying child support of $40 a week, less than $10 a day.

I wonder if that killer thinks it was worth it now. All of that just to save $40 a week....hard to believe isn't it.

I'm so thankful that the jury found him guilty and gave him the death sentence. He may think he can get the verdict overturned but I doubt it will float. How many trials are actually overturned? I just hope that the inmates will discover what he did to that poor little baby and maybe one of them will show him what pain and terror are all about. Anything they would choose to do to him would be fine with me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back