744 users online (79 members and 665 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Excellent posts everyone. To reiterate what Doogie posted, I have two neighbors who are LE. One is a rookie and works for our local PD. He is not very friendly and chooses to stay to himself and barely waves hello. I understand and respect his position, being new to the force. He may feel his being overly friendly/neighborly might cause future problems with his line of work. However, I also have another neighbor who has been here as long as I have, both over 10 years. Becuase he is a state trooper and works all over the NE IL area, he has offered to help by putting in a word for us, or me.... if he has any working relationship with any other jurisdictions we are working with.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Zoe Bogart is offline Let's not ask for the Moon, we have the Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by christine2448 View Post
    When working on missing/uid/cold cases it is a MUST to work with LE. It would make sense NOT to call. They have all the info.

How do you know who has/has not been ruled out when working a UID case w/o talking to LE/ME? How do you help the family get DNA in CODIS if you are not communicating with LE who will collect the samples? How do you submit a potential match of a missing with an unidentified?

LTWH has been successful working with FBI, GBI, LE, ME, FDLE, attorney's, advocates, news and on and on.

Thank you for you suggestions and this thread. Very helpful.

First of all, what are GIB, ME, and FDLE? I can't figure out these initials. Does UID mean "unidentified persons", such as "Jane Doe" or "John Doe"?

So are we supposed to call LE and identify ourselves as WS? "I'm a member of Websleuths and I'm trying to assist in solving a case"? What weight does Websleuths carry with LE?

What about being a friend of the murdered/missing victim? Is LE responsive to those people?

I'm asking because I want to help solve a cold case. I was recently contacted for information by a police officer who originally got interested in the case several years ago when she was in the cold case division but has recently moved to another police department out of the jurisdiction. So should I contact LE as a friend of the deceased? Or should I contact them as an "interested party", a Websleuth?

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Last edited by christine2448; 10-13-2008 at 02:54 PM.
    © My brain is copyright-protected.
    Please pardon any typos. I'm a lousy typist and an even worse proofreader.

Big Brother and the Thought Police have arrived
    1984 by George Orwell (1949)

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

GBI= Georgia Bureau of Investigation

ME= Medical Examiner

UID=Unidentifed

FDLE=FL Dept of Law Enforcement

LE is responsive to most who present themselves professionally and I have found most to be TOTALLY open. Haven't had many doors shut.

The biggest thing is being sure you should even being calling LE...so your do research first.

As far as being 'part' of the case, do I call as 'friend' or 'ws volunteer'...you have to make that call....what would be the better way for you 'to go in'? Maybe direct some more exprienced to the case and work it out before deciding?

Once we organize volunteers we will have people assigned that you can contact to work with authorities or guide you in sleuthing if needed.

My advice, post your thoughts, ideas on the relating thread...pm sleuthers you know can do this and ask them to come help!

Thoughts?
    Last edited by christine2448; 11-01-2008 at 07:30 PM.

Zoe Bogart is offline Let's not ask for the Moon, we have the Stars
    Thanks for your advice, Christine. I'm looking forward to your Super Sleuths list.
    © My brain is copyright-protected.
    Please pardon any typos. I'm a lousy typist and an even worse proofreader.

Big Brother and the Thought Police have arrived
    1984 by George Orwell (1949)

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Another thing about contacting authorities with a tip on a cold case: Often you come under some level of suspicion yourself. This is only natural since LE sometimes looks for easy answers. I deal with this by volunteering any information about myself that will let LE get past their inital suspicions quickly and focus on the tip itself. It also is important to keep yourself "squeaky" clean - no criminal record or anything hinky in your past.
    Order the book "Searching For Anna" directly from [URL="http://www.lulu.com/conte

I am new to sleuthing, but have a small background through reading about cases, reading about profiling, and studying abnormal psychology--none of this in a formal setting though.

One thing I would like to see here is a forum dedicated to questions and answers for new sleuthers. There are tried and true methods to go about sleuthing, and then there's the trial and error method of a new sleuther. People need to know things, probabilities, how and what to question, what constitutes a good lead, and how to identify a garbage lead, etc.

And before I finish up this post, I wanted to say something about contacting LE. I would suggest that a designated person from each case here, write to the detectives assigned to a case after first calling to ask the name of those assigned to work a particular case.

Then these guys and gals can do their job, and respond when they have a free moment to do so. Give them your phone number & let LE make the call.

Quote Originally Posted by justthinkin View Post
    I am new to sleuthing, but have a small background through reading about cases, reading about profiling, and studying abnormal psychology--none of this in a formal setting though.

One thing I would like to see here is a forum dedicated to questions and answers for new sleuthers. There are tried and true methods to go about sleuthing, and then there's the trial and error method of a new sleuther. People need to know things, probabilities, how and what to question, what constitutes a good lead, and how to identify a garbage lead, etc.

And before I finish up this post, I wanted to say something about contacting LE. I would suggest that a designated person from each case here, write to the detectives assigned to a case after first calling to ask the name of those assigned to work a particular case.

Then these guys and gals can do their job, and respond when they have a free moment to do so. Give them your phone number & let LE make the call.
    Thank you for that point, justthinkin. I think that our best practices have always tried to include taking a consensus before taking that kind of action. For example, on the MJD/Tawni Lee Mazzone case, a sleuther obtained the reports and the photos. He was the main contact with the detective involved in the case. So when we had a question for the detective, we asked FMW63 and he passed it along-this prevented us from looking like the "keystone cops" and falling all over each other as we all called to get our questions answered, lol...
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Zanko View Post
    What are your suggestions about contacting LE and/or ME? It would be helpful to have someone discuss navigating these agencies. I'm not sure I would even know where to start. Any advice?
    i am a little late on the advice, but never hesitate to call the investigator and ask about a case that you are interested in. they won't give you anything that will hurt the case, but they can update what they know and you can ask questions about the case.
    (however, i have to add, this advice does not apply to high profile cases like hc or ca.)

There was a huge law article in our newspaper today about
    Madison, WI legislative just past a law which limits records access.....How will that effect websites like this?

Thank God, I checked with Criminal records.com..I know All about certain nieghbors... Interesting, thats all I will say and by the way a buddy cop friend told me about the site for doing just that!
    Last edited by FranksHere; 02-06-2010 at 02:38 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2