1346 users online (292 members and 1054 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

MO - Four Children, 7-14, Independence, Sept 2008

Police Issue Amber Alert For Four Children
    Mother Took Children Out Of State, Police Say

Independence police issued an Amber Alert Saturday night after they said a mother abducted her four children -- three girls and a boy.

The children are in state custody, and the mother was given an unsupervised overnight visit with them.

She was to return the children at 2 p.m. Saturday but she did not, according to a news release from the Independence Police Department.

[snip]

The children are Kelley L. Riggs, Raven SA Riggs, Rhiannon G. Riggs and Spencer D. Riggs, according to police.

[snip]

They may be headed to Denver or Oklahoma, according to police.

It's the fourth time she's taken the children out of the state, according to police, and she's previously taken to them to New Mexico and Oregon.

The mother was scheduled to have a custody hearing on Monday and, according to police, is afraid of losing custody of her children.

More at link: http://www.kctv5.com/news/17521819/detail.html

Its the fourth time? So I guess it was really smart to let mom have an unsupervised overnight visit, huh? Do these people ever get a clue? I guess mom has a pattern so hopefully she won't hurt them. I also hope they are found quickly and the person that approved the overnight is reprimanded.

Salem

I thought the same thing, Salem. After 3 previous kidnappings and obvious reason for these kids to be out of her custody in the first place, who in their right mind would allow an unsupervised visit? This mom just blew any chance she had at that custody hearing.

On a different note, the kids pics are now up at NCMEC. Cute kids. I remember them from the last AMBER Alert for them. I think it was earlier this year or last year.

NCMEC AMBER Alert

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Where is the common sense in this case? I can't get over letting her have unsupervised visitation after 3 kidnappings. Their father must be beside himself with worry.

Quote Originally Posted by SewingDeb View Post
    Where is the common sense in this case? I can't get over letting her have unsupervised visitation after 3 kidnappings. Their father must be beside himself with worry.
    And what's really stupid is the fact a week ago the mother wrote me to take the kids off the recovered gallery I have! I assumed that the case had been dropped or something. Four times? After they get found I'm ignoring anything I get sent.

I don't know exactly what to say here except....DUH!

The height and weight descriptions are worrisome to me.
    From the article linked in the first post:

Kelley Riggs, a boy, is white, 10 years old, 5 feet 1 inch tall, weighs 67 pounds and has brown hair and blue eyes, according to police.

Raven Riggs, a girl, is white, 12 years old, 5 feet 1 inche tall, weighs 67 pounds and has brown hair and brown eyes, according to police.

Rhiannon Riggs, a girl, is white, 7 years old, 4 feet 2 inches tall, weighs 45 pounds and has brown hair and brown eyes, according to police.

Spencer Riggs, a boy, is white, 14 years old, 6 feet 2 inches tall, weighs 180 pounds and has brown hair and brown eyes, according to police.
    All except the oldest child would be emaciated, if these stats are correct. Why would such unhealthy children be anywhere except a medical care facility?

Their case worker must not care at all for these children. The poor kids need medical care and protection, not visits with an abusive and neglectful parent!

Susan

Looking at the pictures, the mother is emaciated.

The rest of the kids look ok.

Poor children. I hope someone gets them some mental help when they return.
    "The cure for anything is salt water- sweat, tears, or the sea." -Isak Dinensen

Quote Originally Posted by forthelost View Post
    And what's really stupid is the fact a week ago the mother wrote me to take the kids off the recovered gallery I have! I assumed that the case had been dropped or something. Four times? After they get found I'm ignoring anything I get sent.
    Very interesting timing! What exactly did she say to you? Would you mind posting it?

Susan

TGI - the pictures do look okay, but I thought the same thing. I have a 7-yr old granddaughter who is a bit chunky but she weighs more than the 10 and 12 year olds and I don't think my gd is that chunky. I also have a 5 year old grandson, who is not chunky at all - very slim and tall and he weighs as much as the 7 year old here. I'm wondering if the numbers are wrong? If not, I think the children should be assessed to make sure they are getting proper nutrition and are being fed.

Salem

Quote Originally Posted by TGIRecovered View Post
    Very interesting timing! What exactly did she say to you? Would you mind posting it?

Susan
    Just that she wanted her kid's pictures off the site. I don't even have the message anymore. And I did remove them, but since they are missing again I have saved the new ones and they will be put back up when they get found.

Nothing new on these kids this morning. I don't think the pics of the kids make them look emaciated or even excessively skinny. The numbers could be off, but I more people will go by the pictures instead of the numbers. Forthelost, I hope that they can be added to the recovered gallery soon. Praying that they are safe.

Just wanted to update the bad numbers. NCMEC has made some changes to their actual missing posters. I bolded the changes.

Spencer Riggs is 15 years old, 5'8", and 150 lbs
    Raven Riggs is 12 years old, 4'3", and 75 lbs
    Kelley Riggs is 10 years old, 4'3", and 75 lbs
    Rhiannon Riggs is 7 years old, 3'0", and 45 lbs

They also list Kelley as a male though, so I'm not sure how accurate any of this is.

NCMEC poster

Does anyone have background on this mother? Why do police feel she would harm the children? What is the concensus, is she doing this out of motherly love or spite for the father? This is the first go round with me on this case and I am curious if anyone has anything on the mother?

Residents asked to watch for Independence woman, four reportedly abducted children

The Missouri Highway Patrol has issued a statewide abduction alert for four children who police believe were abducted by their mother on Saturday afternoon in Independence.

Police are looking for Shirley Riggs, 39, who drives a maroon 1992 Dodge Caravan with Missouri license plate MB6C8M.

Police believe Riggs may harm her children, according to the highway patrol.

Riggs and her four children were reportedly last seen at 1616 South Overton Street in Independence around 2:50 p.m. Saturday.

The children were not returned to the Division of Family Services after an unsupervised overnight visitation, according to the highway patrol.

Police describe Riggs as a white female, 5-feet-5 weighing 115 pounds with brown hair and brown eyes.

Rhiannon Riggs, 7, is described as a white female, 4-feet-2 weighing 45 pounds with brown hair and brown eyes.

Police describe Kelley Riggs, 10, as white, 5-feet-1, brown hair and blue eyes, weighing 67 pounds.

Raven Riggs, 12, is described as a white female 5-feet-1, 67 pounds with brown hair and brown eyes.

Spencer Riggs, 14, is described as a white male, 6-feet-2, 180 pounds with brown hair and brown eyes.

Police believe Rigs may be heading to Oregon or Colorado.

If you believe you have seen Riggs or the children, police ask that you call 911 and tell law enforcement where you believe you saw them.
    http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs...D=200880921001

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast