1048 users online (264 members and 784 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 77
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    321

    VA - Giles Co., skeletal remains in Mountain Lake, Sep'08 - Samuel Felder

    A friend who lives in Roanoke emailed me this because she knows that I like mystieries.
    Who was the person whose final remains -- and possessions -- finally came to light again on Saturday, amid the muddy clods at the bottom of a dry lake?

    //www.roanoke.com/news/nrv/wb/177818
    Last edited by Cubby; 12-18-2010 at 06:02 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,631
    Wow, how interesting. Sounds like he has been down there closer to the 1920s than the 1960s from the coins they found. I sure hope they can ID him!
    Please Help Find Brian Shaffer!



    www.findbrianshaffer.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    orange county, ny
    Posts
    2,380
    In the spring of '21, naturalist and writer Blaize "B L" Harsell arrived in Roanoke. He was planning a hike of the Va-Tn-NC mountains in order to condition himself for an expedition into South America. Harsell's last contact with family was in Roanoke, where he planned to board a train to Bristol. He was never heard from again.
    Its unknown for certain if Harsell ever boarded the train. After numerous investigations and allegations, authorities arrested several "mountain men" in NC, who were known to be a "rough bunch" of moonshiners. The evidence against them was purely circumstantial; statements were made back and forth, alleging that one had confessed, another was seen with Harsell's equipment...But it appears that nothing of Harsell himself or his personal items was ever found.

    Source: Danville (Va) Bee, 1922-1925

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,387
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel View Post
    In the spring of '21, naturalist and writer Blaize "B L" Harsell arrived in Roanoke. He was planning a hike of the Va-Tn-NC mountains in order to condition himself for an expedition into South America. Harsell's last contact with family was in Roanoke, where he planned to board a train to Bristol. He was never heard from again.
    Its unknown for certain if Harsell ever boarded the train. After numerous investigations and allegations, authorities arrested several "mountain men" in NC, who were known to be a "rough bunch" of moonshiners. The evidence against them was purely circumstantial; statements were made back and forth, alleging that one had confessed, another was seen with Harsell's equipment...But it appears that nothing of Harsell himself or his personal items was ever found.

    Source: Danville (Va) Bee, 1922-1925

    Very interesting mystery.

    Shadow, do you think this Harsell could be him? Who's ring did he have on with initials MC and CA? And the cig box and his belt buckle had initials SCF.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    orange county, ny
    Posts
    2,380
    It's an interesting but remote possibility that it could be Harsell. I had just been reading about Harsell within the past week when luckyducky posted this...
    Its hard to say at this point what the connection is between all the items, and whether or not the initials have been interpreted correctly. I'll be eager to hear more from LE about this case.

    I am finding more reports of men missing in the area, some fairly prominent and wealthy, from 1920 going forward. I'll post any that seem especially intriguing.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,387
    Good facts of what was found from article:

    Based on what they have found, he said, investigators think the person died between 1920 and 1960. Coins found near the remains dated from 1907 to 1920 and included a wheat penny and a half-dollar.
    McCreery shoes
    initials "MC" and "CA" on the class ring....also . It bore a date on top that appears to signify that it is from the Class of '04 -- most likely 1904, Giles County
    belt buckle and cigarette case with initials that appear to be SCF
    a dime from 1910 and a tooth

    pocketknife, a wallet

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    orange county, ny
    Posts
    2,380
    I'm hoping that LE may post pics of the items at some point. Occasionally, monograms on items were done in such a fashion that the middle letter was slightly larger than the rest, indicating this was in fact the last intial, not the middle. For example, "James Alan Williams" might appear as JWA.

    ** **** ** ***** ** *** **** ** ****
    Here is an interesting article on the lake and hotel:
    http://www.alumni.vt.edu/alumninews/...g/mt-lake.html

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,387
    I believe this community forum is in the area the items were found....haven't had a chance to look at all the posts to see if anyone is searching for someone who could have went missing during that time frame or mentions any names with intials that may match the ones here.

    Won't be back online till tonight, Can't look right now. Lunch is ova!

    http://www.hometownforums.com/cgi-bi...pics&number=45

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    89

    pics of the ring

    I found these pics online of the ring..
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    So Cal Redlands, CA to be exact. We call it Inland Empire!
    Posts
    169
    This is definately interesting. I've always loved going to remote areas like this and seeing what old stuff can be found. I dont' know why it interests me so much. I guess knowing someone being there decades before myself. I would love to see more pictures of the scene and other items found!
    The world is divided into two kinds of people: those who have tattoos, and those who are afraid of people with tattoos. ~Author Unknown

    Mother is the name for God on the hearts and lips of all children.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    orange county, ny
    Posts
    2,380
    I just can't see this not being associated with the hotel, somehow. Those wing-tip shoes look like we'd see Bob Hope wearing on the golf course in one of those 1930's newsreels (and yes, golfing was offered at the hotel, according to a 1928 ad I found).
    I'm hoping the hotel has kept all its registry records from years past.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    5,128
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel View Post
    I just can't see this not being associated with the hotel, somehow. Those wing-tip shoes look like we'd see Bob Hope wearing on the golf course in one of those 1930's newsreels (and yes, golfing was offered at the hotel, according to a 1928 ad I found).
    I'm hoping the hotel has kept all its registry records from years past.
    That era seems logical in addition to someone still wearing a class ring from '04 as long as till the 40's or 50's does not seem as likely. The MC/ CA initials also appear to be more the name of the school than a personal monogram. For example, Madison County College of Agriculture, or Maryland Central College of Arts, Mt. Charles Christian Academy etc....(NO, there is no link for these, just making up examples)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Oregon City, OR
    Posts
    404
    Am I the only one that sees the initials inside the ring as being "C.D.C."?? The B with the star inside it looks like a school or some other group or club symbol. I dunno about the 'O' at the end, but it looks different than the middle three letters.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    orange county, ny
    Posts
    2,380
    http://www.wsls.com/sls/news/local/n...ain_lake/17920

    This article includes a video which also shows the ring. As stated in the article, the first letter is unclear-To me, it appears more likely to be an "N" than an "M". When I started working with NC CA, I came up with the Northern California Cricket Association. The 1904 Champions? San Franciso County.
    (Yeah, well, so its a bit of a stretch... )

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    5,128
    Quote Originally Posted by cutegirltoo View Post
    Am I the only one that sees the initials inside the ring as being "C.D.C."?? The B with the star inside it looks like a school or some other group or club symbol. I dunno about the 'O' at the end, but it looks different than the middle three letters.
    I am pretty sure that the B the CD then the Co after it most likely stands for company. The B with the star would be some type of company logo.

    It might even be B with a star, then a G. then D. then CO
    Last edited by raeann; 09-24-2008 at 05:22 PM. Reason: correct error

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-20-2017, 11:46 AM
  2. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-11-2016, 01:03 PM
  3. ID ID - Bonner Co., Skeletal Remains, in Lake Pend Oreille, Mar'15
    By JerseyGirl in forum The Unidentified
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-21-2015, 04:18 PM
  4. Identified! WV - Hinton, Fem skeletal remains on Hix Mountain, Apr'11 - Cathy McCoy
    By CarlK90245 in forum Identified!
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-02-2011, 01:03 PM
  5. Identified! GA - Lookout Mountain, skeletal remains, Apr'09 - Allan Hansen
    By ThoughtFox in forum Identified!
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-20-2009, 09:58 PM