1125 users online (206 members and 919 guests)  

Websleuths News

gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain

Knuts Surrogate Daddy found Dead in Apt

Thoman Dorflein was found dead this morning in his friends apartment under 'suspicious' circumstances.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...er-940129.html

(Please note the awful ad on the right with the bear baiting photo....I didn't know that still happened.....even just seeing that photo makes me want to cry. Bears are gentle, private shy animals....and so are pitbulls if they are raised in a good environment.)
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi

Oh! So sad! Iam sure Knut will adapt and even though the article says Knut will not suffer the feeling of loss I think he will!!

Quote Originally Posted by LinetteH View Post
    Oh! So sad! Iam sure Knut will adapt and even though the article says Knut will not suffer the feeling of loss I think he will!!
    I hate when humans say animals don't mourn or have feelings. There have been many documented instances of animals mourning their human or other animal friends. I've seen it myself amongst my birds.

gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_16 View Post
    I hate when humans say animals don't mourn or have feelings. There have been many documented instances of animals mourning their human or other animal friends. I've seen it myself amongst my birds.

I do too. I also despise pet stores (in general) who have birds that mate for life but will sell them separetly. Birds have died after their mate is taken away.

Chimps and other primates have been filmed mourning the loss of one their group. There was the baby whose mother was killed and the baby laid by her body for days and then climbed up a tree and sat there until he died.
    Another documented case of a mother chimp holding her dead baby for days and refusing to eat.

Dogs who have gone into depressions or simply died shortly after their owner. Lots of people have studied the intricities of wolf packs and how the pack reacts to one another, etc and it seems pretty evident their is an emotional and mental bond there.

Elephants are thought to understand loss and mourn it. They often cover their dead friend with various leaves, etc and will often stay with the body for days.

We had two Siamese cats we had raised together since they were kittens until old age. One died of kidney failure at 16 and the other was obviously very distraught her companion was gone. She didn't eat, she would walk around the house yowling and crying, she started sleeping in the other cats basket (they had their own). We were already heartbroken and that just added to the grief to see her grieve like that as well.

So, yes I totally agree with you. Animals have emotional capabilites many of the smarter animals have that ability that reaches the level a two year old - think about how emotional attached a two yr old child is to their mother. That another reason why it breaks my heart to think about all the animals who are abused and treated cruelly in this world.
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi

exactly! what about that poor mama gorilla a few weeks ago that would not let go of her baby that died. She carried it around for a long time and was grieving. Sometimes I wonder if animals have more brains than the humans that study them.
    Only my opinion, no one else need agree.

Quote Originally Posted by gaia227 View Post
    I do too. I also despise pet stores (in general) who have birds that mate for life but will sell them separetly. Birds have died after their mate is taken away.

Chimps and other primates have been filmed mourning the loss of one their group. There was the baby whose mother was killed and the baby laid by her body for days and then climbed up a tree and sat there until he died.
    Another documented case of a mother chimp holding her dead baby for days and refusing to eat.

Dogs who have gone into depressions or simply died shortly after their owner. Lots of people have studied the intricities of wolf packs and how the pack reacts to one another, etc and it seems pretty evident their is an emotional and mental bond there.

Elephants are thought to understand loss and mourn it. They often cover their dead friend with various leaves, etc and will often stay with the body for days.

We had two Siamese cats we had raised together since they were kittens until old age. One died of kidney failure at 16 and the other was obviously very distraught her companion was gone. She didn't eat, she would walk around the house yowling and crying, she started sleeping in the other cats basket (they had their own). We were already heartbroken and that just added to the grief to see her grieve like that as well.

So, yes I totally agree with you. Animals have emotional capabilites many of the smarter animals have that ability that reaches the level a two year old - think about how emotional attached a two yr old child is to their mother. That another reason why it breaks my heart to think about all the animals who are abused and treated cruelly in this world.
    Great post! And also Linette and PattyCake.

gaia, How sad that must have been seeing your kitty grieving and missing the kitty that died. And the same time you were grieving too.