772 users online (111 members and 661 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What if you went in for a circumcision and woke up amputated?

OK-this is not trivial, of course, but you have to believe SOMEONE in the operating room must have nudged the surgeons and said-hey, ya think we should ask him first???

http://www.wlky.com/health/17550187/detail.html
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

wow, that is crazy! I thought unless it was immediate life threatening the doctors couldn't just do what THEY thought best, it had to be consented?
    Find Brian Shaffer!!
    www.findbrianshaffer.com

Janet Christiansen, Kaiden, and Family, justice WILL prevail!

JUSTICE FOR AMBER!

~*Cancel my subscription, I'm THROUGH with your issues*~

Oh my word!!!! What happened to the patient's rights? Wow!

So Cal Redlands, CA to be exact. We call it Inland Empire!
    Even if they found cancer, a patient has rights! This is so wrong.
    The world is divided into two kinds of people: those who have tattoos, and those who are afraid of people with tattoos. ~Author Unknown

Mother is the name for God on the hearts and lips of all children.

lame defense...

The attorney for the defendant claims he was authorized to do anything medically necessary...
    http://www.wlky.com/health/17564921/detail.html
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by believe09 View Post
    The attorney for the defendant claims he was authorized to do anything medically necessary...
    http://www.wlky.com/health/17564921/detail.html

Having just undergone surgery involving various female componets of this bodily region I can attest to the fact that a signed medical authorization which includes the "anything medically necessary" wording does give the surgeon the legal right to make surgical decisions in the operating room without further patient consult/consent.

In the hour 1/2 prior to my surgery numerous medical personnal went over that medical authorization form with me. Each time they asked me to tell them what surgeries I was having, than they would tell me what surgeries were listed and always ended with the "anything" clause.

But not even the surgeon could define what "anything" might have been, especially when cancer involvement is a factor. I feel badly for the man. His situation is similiar to those faced years ago by many women who woke to find breast(s) or uterus and ovaries gone due to what was found during surgery. Medical advancements and technology have changed this outcome for women, penile cancer testing may not be as advanced.

The "anything" clause has its benefits. In my case a repair was done that was only seen to be needed once the invasive surgery had begun. It would have required another surgery if not done then so am glad he was able to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by believe09 View Post
    OK-this is not trivial, of course, but you have to believe SOMEONE in the operating room must have nudged the surgeons and said-hey, ya think we should ask him first???

http://www.wlky.com/health/17550187/detail.html
    That happens much more often than we hear about.

My friend use to say when we were visiting our local hospital which is to be state of the art hospital.

"You are now entering the most dangerous place on Earth"

Also I have read horror stories on botched surgeries done by the VA where the wrong limb was amputated. I even read one time that a lady had cancer in one of her kidneys and they mistakenly took out the good one and left the cancerous one in. The doctor should have only circumcised this man. What a horrible thing to have to live with the rest of his life.

In 1991 they did a biopsy of my left breast. Once awakened my husband told me they were two hours late in starting the procedure. Little did I know that they were discussing removing my breast and then decided not too. BUT they never ever discussed removing my breast with ME nor with any of my family members. When I found out I just went weak in the knees knowing how close I had come and wasn't even apprised that they were thinking of doing so. Thankfully they only seriously considered it because I did not have cancer but cysts.

imoo
    "Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina

tbthow is offline Baby T is out of the hospital again : ) Strong Boy!
    If I woke up that way I would be Peed off
    Please excuse me if I have replied to a post and can no longer find that thread. WS is wonderful all around and I don't want anyone to think I am being rude.. I forget what thread I post on at times.

The patient had no apparent symptoms of cancer, just wanted a circumcision.

Penile cancer isn't usually a death sentence - it wouldn't normally require an immediate, emergency amputation - esp if there were no symptoms.

The surgeon should have aborted the procedure to discuss the options with the patient!

WoW Seems likely that it would have to come off anyhow BUT I also believe he should have been sewn up and told first, Imagine the shock of waking up thinking you're whole and then realizing you're not. Consent forms should be signed. He had the right to a second opinion. Not excusing their actions I can also see where the Dr's were coming from though. He could have gone in for a limb amputation only to wake up and find the wrong limb missing....... Not good

I just came across this thread , and I know its not the same definitely not but someone I know well her friend went to the same dentist as her and went in for an extraction of a tooth - the bad tooth - so that they could then do a bridge
    For those that do not know a bridge involves 3 teeth and you need a good tooth either side of the bad tooth
    well they incompetently removed the GOOD TOOTH on one side

!

In regards to this man well I say HELL YEAH SUE AND THEN SUE some more
    They had NO RIGHT to make that decision and I am SURPRISED A male doctor would do so
    Id be Pi$$ed off if someone made a decision to lop my breasts off or *downthere* without consultation FIRST

poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    The patient should have signed a consent form - i would think it would be depend on how the form was worded. They have to tell you the risks associated with any type of surgery --- bleeding, infection, death from anesthesia, loss of limb? I doubt that that was even a consideration at the time of the surgery and IMO the surgeon made a very poor judgment.

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

The link did not work for me.

Seems like we need a new authorization form!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OR OR another 'walk about on call SURGICAL DOCTOR' to give better advice and and and to consult with the waiting CLOSE family members BEFORE surgically removing a VITAL piece of human equipment.

Might consider giving the male patient a knife as well.

Its true the entire world is now certified to be NUTZ.

Last edited by Camper; 01-24-2009 at 06:43 PM. Reason: misinterpreted the surgery
    Opinions expressed by me, are mine, based on life experience, and known facts of any given case.

"""I am just a pixel in the universal plan."""

Quote Originally Posted by bracken123 View Post
    The patient had no apparent symptoms of cancer, just wanted a circumcision.

Penile cancer isn't usually a death sentence - it wouldn't normally require an immediate, emergency amputation - esp if there were no symptoms.

The surgeon should have aborted the procedure to discuss the options with the patient!
    Actually it does say that he was being circumsized as part of treatment for a medical condition, although it doesn't say what the condition was. I think doctors and patients need to be more clear on what is and isn't being consented to before the operation!

Quote Originally Posted by Camper View Post
    The link did not work for me.

Seems like we need a new authorization form!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OR OR another 'walk about on call SURGICAL DOCTOR' to give better advice and and and to consult with the waiting CLOSE family members BEFORE surgically removing a VITAL piece of human equipment.

Might consider giving the male patient a knife as well.

Its true the entire world is now certified to be NUTZ.

Hi Camper, How HORRIFIC

I think as part of the settlement they should build him a new one, all shiny and bright, and plumb it up. How's the guy suppose to take a leak?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast