What if you went in for a circumcision and woke up amputated?

wow, that is crazy! I thought unless it was immediate life threatening the doctors couldn't just do what THEY thought best, it had to be consented?

Oh my word!!!! What happened to the patient's rights? Wow!

Even if they found cancer, a patient has rights! This is so wrong.

The attorney for the defendant claims he was authorized to do anything medically necessary...
http://www.wlky.com/health/17564921/detail.html

Having just undergone surgery involving various female componets of this bodily region I can attest to the fact that a signed medical authorization which includes the "anything medically necessary" wording does give the surgeon the legal right to make surgical decisions in the operating room without further patient consult/consent.

In the hour 1/2 prior to my surgery numerous medical personnal went over that medical authorization form with me. Each time they asked me to tell them what surgeries I was having, than they would tell me what surgeries were listed and always ended with the "anything" clause.

But not even the surgeon could define what "anything" might have been, especially when cancer involvement is a factor. I feel badly for the man. His situation is similiar to those faced years ago by many women who woke to find breast(s) or uterus and ovaries gone due to what was found during surgery. Medical advancements and technology have changed this outcome for women, penile cancer testing may not be as advanced.

The "anything" clause has its benefits. In my case a repair was done that was only seen to be needed once the invasive surgery had begun. It would have required another surgery if not done then so am glad he was able to do it.

OK-this is not trivial, of course, but you have to believe SOMEONE in the operating room must have nudged the surgeons and said-hey, ya think we should ask him first???

http://www.wlky.com/health/17550187/detail.html

That happens much more often than we hear about.

My friend use to say when we were visiting our local hospital which is to be state of the art hospital.

"You are now entering the most dangerous place on Earth"

Also I have read horror stories on botched surgeries done by the VA where the wrong limb was amputated. I even read one time that a lady had cancer in one of her kidneys and they mistakenly took out the good one and left the cancerous one in. The doctor should have only circumcised this man. What a horrible thing to have to live with the rest of his life.

In 1991 they did a biopsy of my left breast. Once awakened my husband told me they were two hours late in starting the procedure. Little did I know that they were discussing removing my breast and then decided not too. BUT they never ever discussed removing my breast with ME nor with any of my family members. When I found out I just went weak in the knees knowing how close I had come and wasn't even apprised that they were thinking of doing so. Thankfully they only seriously considered it because I did not have cancer but cysts.

imoo

If I woke up that way I would be Peed off:furious:

The patient had no apparent symptoms of cancer, just wanted a circumcision.

Penile cancer isn't usually a death sentence - it wouldn't normally require an immediate, emergency amputation - esp if there were no symptoms.

The surgeon should have aborted the procedure to discuss the options with the patient!

WoW Seems likely that it would have to come off anyhow BUT I also believe he should have been sewn up and told first, Imagine the shock of waking up thinking you're whole and then realizing you're not. Consent forms should be signed. He had the right to a second opinion. Not excusing their actions I can also see where the Dr's were coming from though. He could have gone in for a limb amputation only to wake up and find the wrong limb missing....... Not good

I just came across this thread , and I know its not the same definitely not but someone I know well her friend went to the same dentist as her and went in for an extraction of a tooth - the bad tooth - so that they could then do a bridge
For those that do not know a bridge involves 3 teeth and you need a good tooth either side of the bad tooth
well they incompetently removed the GOOD TOOTH on one side

!

In regards to this man well I say HELL YEAH SUE AND THEN SUE some more
They had NO RIGHT to make that decision and I am SURPRISED A male doctor would do so
Id be Pi$$ed off if someone made a decision to lop my breasts off or *downthere* without consultation FIRST

The patient should have signed a consent form - i would think it would be depend on how the form was worded. They have to tell you the risks associated with any type of surgery --- bleeding, infection, death from anesthesia, loss of limb? I doubt that that was even a consideration at the time of the surgery and IMO the surgeon made a very poor judgment.

The link did not work for me.

Seems like we need a new authorization form!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OR OR another 'walk about on call SURGICAL DOCTOR' to give better advice and and and to consult with the waiting CLOSE family members BEFORE surgically removing a VITAL piece of human equipment.

Might consider giving the male patient a knife as well.

Its true the entire world is now certified to be NUTZ.

The patient had no apparent symptoms of cancer, just wanted a circumcision.

Penile cancer isn't usually a death sentence - it wouldn't normally require an immediate, emergency amputation - esp if there were no symptoms.

The surgeon should have aborted the procedure to discuss the options with the patient!

Actually it does say that he was being circumsized as part of treatment for a medical condition, although it doesn't say what the condition was. I think doctors and patients need to be more clear on what is and isn't being consented to before the operation!

The link did not work for me.

Seems like we need a new authorization form!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OR OR another 'walk about on call SURGICAL DOCTOR' to give better advice and and and to consult with the waiting CLOSE family members BEFORE surgically removing a VITAL piece of human equipment.

Might consider giving the male patient a knife as well.

Its true the entire world is now certified to be NUTZ.

Hi Camper, How HORRIFIC

I think as part of the settlement they should build him a new one, all shiny and bright, and plumb it up. How's the guy suppose to take a leak? :eek:

Hi Camper, How HORRIFIC

I think as part of the settlement they should build him a new one, all shiny and bright, and plumb it up. How's the guy suppose to take a leak? :eek:

--->>>Hi Scandi, really HOW could they undo the trauma and pain caused by such an apparent lack of judgement and care.

I have lost count of the number of times I have been in the hospital since 1999. BUT every experience I noted the PURE fact that many staff people who come into your room, and are near you in any way as part of the 'hospital experience, do not know what they are doing!!

I have noted that 'they' are either unable, or are tired of, trying to put themselves in YOUR place and try to even understand what the 'patient' is experiencing and use just ordinary common sense in their 'care'.

I have not been and am not an up front demanding individual, but I have been able to see things that are not right and would be damaging to me.

The highlight of one trip found an aide trying to find my blood vessel for an IV, only hall light, this man on his knees, made two extremely painful tries to find my vessel with zero light in the room.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rainydaze17
Back