GUILTY OK - Nakketa Smith, 31, Del City, 12 Sept 2008

barb0301

Reaction score
Del City police search for missing mother

Posted: Sep 13, 2008 08:00 PM CDT
Updated: Sep 15, 2008 10:43 AM CDT

By Jon Jordan, NEWS 9
DEL CITY, Okla. -- A mother of three has been missing since Friday and police have detained her ex-husband for questioning.
Family members called police Friday to report 31-year-old Nakeeta Smith's disappearance. They last heard from Smith Friday night.
Dontee Johnson, 34, has been the focus of the investigation after he was found driving Smith's car with her two children on Saturday at approximately noon, police said.

Johnson was arrested by Del City police Saturday evening.
Police said they suspect foul play. Twice in the past two weeks, authorities have been called to Smith's home near SE 15 and Bryant Avenue on domestic charges.
"He did make some threats and I did hear they were having trouble in the relationship," sister April Smith said.

Johnson's record indicates a violent nature and includes a number of convictions from drug charges and armed robbery to shooting with intent to kill.

http://www.news9.com/Global/story.asp?S=9004804&nav=menu681_3_12_5

FYI - Texas Equusearch has now been called and will be going to search within the next several days

Direct from the TES Website - Volunteers needed to search in Oklahoma:

Nakketa Smith, age 30, was last seen on September 12th at her home in Dell City, Oklahoma. Her children state she was wearing a pair of black Capri pants, a black shirt and golden and black sandal heels. She has not been seen or heard from since.

Tim Miller and a group of TES members are now in Dell City, Oklahoma. If you are interested in Volunteering to search the command center will be located at: VFW in Dell City, 4400 SE 9th Street, also known as VFW Drive. The search will begin tomorrow, 9/26/08 at 8:00am. Please make sure you have a copy of your photo ID available with the Volunteer form. We are in need of searchers with horses, ATV’s and foot searchers.

www.texasequusearch.org

Hoping and praying this Mother will be found safe for her children.

http://www.ksbitv.com/home/29907504.html

Search for Missing Mother Continues

Monday, September 29, 2008; Posted 4.18 pm (CDT)

Friends, family and volunteers have already logged hours of searching for 31-year-old Nakketa Smith but say the lack of turnout from the local community means more area to search than they can handle.

"We really need that help real bad," says Debra King, Nakketa Smith's mom.

ATVs, boats and water sonar are just some of the equipment being used to try and locate Smith, who disappeared more than two weeks ago.

"We know where she's not," says Tim Miller, Founder of Texas Equusearch. "We've covered a lot of ground."

Texas Equusearch, a non-profit group that helps locate missing people, came in Friday because of a call from Smith's family.

"If you was on the other end of that phone and heard the tone of voice, it's very hard to say no," says Miller.

Even though help has come from outside, family members say it's been difficult to find locally.

"We need some more volunteer help, special help, people to come out and help us look," says King.

"I think there's a lot of strength in numbers," says Miller.

Searchers say thanks to equipment they've still been able to cover a lot of ground and don't plan on giving up any time soon.

"We always say we don't quit until it's over with," says Miller.

The family says the weeks have been emotionally exhausting, especially for Smith's three children, but that everyone is trying to remain optimistic.

"We hope and pray we might find her just hurt and still alive, but we wants to just find her no matter what condition she may be in," says King.

"We've got a lot of determination, and we just need that little bit of luck to go along with it," says Miller.

If you'd like to help out, the search begins every morning at 8:00 a.m. and continues until about 6:30 p.m. You can meet the coordinators at the VFW POST near S. Sunnylane and VFW.

Searchers are asking not just for volunteers but equipment, food, water and even monetary donations.

Tuesday, Sept. 30, 2008

SPENCER - The body of a Del City woman missing since Sept. 13 was found about 10 p.m. Monday based on information provided by her ex-husband, the sheriff's office said.

The body of Nakketa Smith, 31, was found about 12 feet from the side of the road in the 4700 block of N Spencer Road in eastern Oklahoma County, said Sheriff John Whetsel, who was at the scene at about 11:30 p.m.

Del City Police Cpt. Jody Suit, who was also at the scene, said information gleaned from a conversation between ex-husband Dontee Johnson, 34, and a minister from Houston led law officers to the scene.

The body was removed about 12:30 a.m. today after the medical examiner arrived. At 1 a.m., officers were at another location about a mile away searching for evidence including bedding materials.

Suit said a minister with the New Black Panther Party talked to Johnson, who is in jail on an unrelated charge but is considered a suspect. Suit said Johnson provided the minister with details that led them to the body. The family was notified before the search began, Suit said.

A mounted search team, Texas EqquSearch, and other volunteers had looked for Smith over the weekend and on Monday,searching in Del City and in creek beds around Lake Stanley Draper. Smith's mother, Deborah King of Oklahoma City, and other friends and family members had formed large search parties and combed wooded areas and vacant buildings looking for Smith, vowing not to give up until she was found.

Suit said the minister, whom he identified as Quanell X, has worked before with Texas EqquSearch and was there at their request.

Police had found evidence in Smith's home in Del City that she was violently attacked. Johnson became the focus of the investigation after he was found driving her car with two of her children, Suit said earlier. Johnson is in custody on complaints of lewd acts with a child younger than 16.

http://newsok.com/missing-del-city-w...?tm=1222772650

What an amazing family to pull together to help other victims of domestic violence, on the first day of Domestic Violence Month.......

http://www.ksbitv.com/news/30053584.html

Family Speaks Out About Domestic Violence

Posted: October, 1, 2008.

"You should always tell your family what's going on. Never keep it a secret cause it could turn violent as it did with my daughter," said Nakketa's mother Debra King.

Nakketa smith's family says Nakketa was being threatened by her ex-husband, Dontee Johnson, but couldn't press charges against him out of fear she would lose her foster child.

"It's sad that she had to make the choice between her own safety or having Dontee put back in prison and what it came to now, not having here here with us," said Nakketa's sister Cherry Russell.

Today as Domestic Violence Awareness month kicks off, we remember the victims like Nakketa. Officials say hopefully the many stories will finally spark a change.

"Can you imagine the the anguish of that family for 16 long days and they suspected what had happened to their daughter, sister and mom," said Marcia Smith, Okla. Coalition Against Domestic Violence.

The family says they did notice a change in Nakketa and didn't immediately act on it. But now they wish they would have.

"Look for signs of bruises, look for the demeanor changing. She was always a happy person and she just instantly shut down," said Russell.

"My daughter stopped coming around me and I didn't understand but now I do. So that's one of the signs to look for, not coming around the family because they don't want you to know what's going on," said King.

Nakketa's daughter says now she will be voice for her mother who's voice has been silenced by domestic violence.

"I would just advise that women should speak out whether he threatens the whole family or not, I wouldn't keep it in. My mom did and look where she ended up," said Nakketa's daughter Diamond Smith.

Nakketa's niece told me she hope to start a shelter with her family, a safe haven for women and their families when they are trying to get away from the violence. They want to name it after Nakketa.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back