Trip to the airport

terralee

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Can someone please tell me how long it would have taken the Ramseys to drive to the Jefferson airport? has anyone read that it would have taken 30 minutes? thank you.

terralee said:
Can someone please tell me how long it would have taken the Ramseys to drive to the Jefferson airport? has anyone read that it would have taken 30 minutes? thank you.

Hello, terralee. The trip, 15-20 mi. mostly on US 36 would normally take 20 to 30 min.

Please correct me if my timeline is wrong, JR stated that he awoke at about 5:30 am Patsy shortly after that,she had herself to get dressed, makeup on, I believe Patsy still had packing to do or gift wrapping Im not sure, she also rinsed out a top of JBs both children had to be woke up,fed and theres always last minute things to do before leaving home the car had to be loaded and with a 20 minute drive to the airport how could they expect to ever make it on time, all this in an hour? I know I couldnt.

There are benefits in owning your own plane. You can be as late as you want for takeoff...

terralee said:
Please correct me if my timeline is wrong, JR stated that he awoke at about 5:30 am Patsy shortly after that,she had herself to get dressed, makeup on, I believe Patsy still had packing to do or gift wrapping Im not sure, she also rinsed out a top of JBs both children had to be woke up,fed and theres always last minute things to do before leaving home the car had to be loaded and with a 20 minute drive to the airport how could they expect to ever make it on time, all this in an hour? I know I couldnt.

It could have been a stretch, but maybe they were used to running a little late. Other posters have suggested that they probably got up earlier. I agree its possible but don't find fault in either senario. It seems like the first inclination would be to check the child's room, under the bed etc., then to check all the entrances to see if any were ajar, then to go to the basement to look for evidence of a breakin.

terralee said:

terralee,

I agree with your suspicions about the airport timeline that morning. No family in their right mind would purposely schedule themselves so tightly. IMO the Ramseys actually scheduled themselves to get up about an hour before they say they did, which would have made it 4:30 A.M., not 5:30 A.M.

The ride to the airport would have been about 20 minutes. They had to be at the airport by 6:30 and take off at 7:00 sharp to meet the flight plan already filed by Archuleta and to redezvous with the flight in Minneapolis.

It's also interesting to note that Mike Archuleta says he (Archuleta) got up at 4:30 A.M. to get ready for the flight, and he didn't have to worry about bundling up kids and whatnot.

I think the Ramseys got up at 4:30 A.M., not 5:30 A.M.

JMO

John stated that he took a melatonin that night to ensure a good sleep which could suggest that he was covering himself of any responsibilty for anything that occurred during the night, also after such a hectic day wouldnt it have been reasonable to set the alarm clock Ive read nothing to suggest that he did. Im puzzled BC at why you feel they got up at 4:30 if they did then why would John say 5:30? thank you for your response

BlueCrab said:
I think the Ramseys got up at 4:30 A.M., not 5:30 A.M.
I don't think they ever went to bed.
And I don't believe for ONE minute that if the events hadn't transpired as they did, Patsy would have worn the same outfit she did the night before on that plane ride.
Patsy was dressed to party, not to travel.

I agree, Shylock...it's not something you do. Don't get me wrong, I've had sweatpants that wanna walk to the laundry 'cos I've thrown them 3 nights in a row when I come home from work. But when you are that wealthy and you have clothes up the wazoo, not to mention paid help to make sure that they all are always clean, you do NOT wear clothes to a party AND AGAIN to travel the following morning. Even poor folk like me have party clothes and then clothes I would wear when travelling.

The Ramseys owned John Douglas's book, Mindhunter. Even if neither of them had read it, they were obviously interested in true crime topics and would have known how important clothing fibers can be in solving a case. Regardless of whether Patsy had ever changed into her jammers or nightie and gone to bed, I think she purposely wore the same clothing on the 26th that she'd worn on the 25th to account for any of her clothing fibers that might later be found on JonBenet's body, and that the main purpose of her dramatic Lazuras bit was to provide an excuse for any such fibers. Too bad she didn't know that fibers from her clothing would be found in the ligature knot, as well as in the paint tray, which was still in the basement near where JonBenet's body had lain.

imo

I hate to form a committee on a dead dog, but...

I really don't for one minute believe that a southern belle/beauty queen like PR would eat crab at the Whites house, party (whatever that entails), change into bed clothes, sleep, wake up, put on new makeup without a shower, spraysprayspray her big ole hair, and don the same clothes as the night before. Her clothes would have been pretty "fragrant" after the seafood and party atmosphere (smoke and drink), and I just don't believe she would wake up and put them back on. I have so much less money than her, I am a southern girl, and I would NEVER do so. Not to mention that she was supposed to meet Melinda's fiance for the first time when they "rendez vous-ed" for the connecting flight.

Nope...she never went to bed. If she had, she would have bathed and she would have put on a nice clean outfit.

Please excuse me if Im having a senoirs moment here but Im sure Ive read that Patsy stated that she wanted to impress Melinda s fiance when she met him BUT Im positive Ive also read awhile back that this was not the first time she had met him, sometime prior to Dec they were all gathered together at some yachting regalia in Charlevois and if this is true this was NOT their first meeting. Come to think of it I think I read this is DOI, not sure though.
imo

You're right terralee. It was at a boat thingie in Michigan, I read it somewhere but can't remember where. It might have been long ago here on WS. I remember reading a list someone posted here for some event and Stewart's name was on it. In other words, John & Patsy knew him and had met before.

terralee said:
Im puzzled BC at why you feel they got up at 4:30 if they did then why would John say 5:30?

terralee,

The Ramseys claim they didn't get up until 5:30 A.M. because then they can say there wasn't enough time for them to stage the crime and write the ransom note. They called 911 at 5:52 A.M., just 22 minutes after they say they crawled out of bed at 5:30. But I don't buy that for a minute, because that wouldn't have left enough time for them to get to the airport by 6:30 A.M.

I think the Ramseys had the alarm set for 4:30 A.M., but got up even earlier due to the murder, maybe as a result of JonBenet's scream. The Ramseys slept with their bedroom windows open just like the Stantons across the street, and would also have heard the scream just like Melody Stanton.

From the interviews:

JOHN RAMSEY: "I mean we hear noises from -- when we hear noises, it was typically from outdoors from students."

LOU SMIT: "You can hear that from your room?"

JOHN RAMSEY: "We always slept with the windows open."

JMO

I agree Bluecrab. No way would they have enough time to do all that, plus get to the airport in time and I believe it was a CYA thing.

John claims he got up after the alarm went off at 5:30...

Patsy claims the alarm did not go off....

Patsy said that she went into her bathroom, washed her face, put on her makeup, brushed her hair...

TH: Okay. And how long do you think all that in the bathroom took?

PR: Oh, 20, 30 minutes.

Patsy said she went down to the second floor to wash JonBenet's jumpsuit...

TH: So you're in the laundry, you say you spent a couple of minutes there, two, five?

PR: Probably five or ten. You know.

Patsy claims that she woke up and heard John in the shower...(John claims he got up after the alarm went off at 5:30)...so that would mean that Patsy woke up later than 5:30am...

Let's not forget the time it took for Patsy to go downstairs, find the note, read a couple of lines, run upstairs, open JonBenet's door, scream for John, check on Burke, run around, John reading the ransom note and Patsy's call to 911 at 5:52am?

Patsy would have had to be on some powerful diet pill to get all that done in that amout of time actually it would have been less since she stated she awoke after John. In my earlier post I mentioned(thank you for remembering Thorkim) Patsy said she wanted to impress Melindas fiance, Im wondering if she said this only to explain why she was dressed the way she was as an earlier poster said you dont dress like that for travel. And why did she find it necessary to say she JUST remembered her shower wasnt working? odd comment

terralee said:
... And why did she find it necessary to say she JUST remembered her shower wasnt working? odd comment

That is an interesting and very valid point, Terralee, considering there was another full bathroom with a shower on the same floor as "Patsy's" bathroom and shower. Take a look at the following web site for the Ramsey house floorplans.

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Senate/6502/primer2/primer10_blue.html

As you can see, Patsy's and John's bedroom, their closets and TWO bathrooms took the entire third story of the house. All Patsy had to do was walk a few feet over from her "broken" shower over to John's working shower. Why didn't she?

To those who would say, "well John was in his shower, and Patsy didn't have time to wait on him" ... there were THREE more full baths on the second story! She could have quickly walked down the stairs and used any one of those three ... next to JonBenet's room, John Andrew's room, or across from Burke's room.

But no. Patsy decides to travel unwashed, in dirty clothes for a family holiday. Yeah right. And so does every other society conscious, former beauty queen who is so into "presentation" she puts out her Miss America trophies and duds for display during a home tour.

Human behavior tells us that people rarely deviate from their normal personal habits. Patsy was meticulous in her dress, and placed great importance on image. What caused her to suddenly decide that neither mattered when it had always been an important part of her life?

There were FIVE full bathrooms complete with showers in the Ramseys house, but Patsy couldn't get a shower on that fateful morning ... couldn't be bothered with putting on a fresh top and skirt or pants to travel and see family. What is wrong with this picture?

You're absolutely right, Terralee. Patsy's "I remembered I couldn't get a shower because mine was broken" IS odd, and it's a lie. She could have had a shower in any of the other FOUR bathrooms IF hers was broken.

But Patsy had to try to explain away the obvious. She had not had time for a shower, and she had never been to bed. Staging a crime scene, practicing and writing a ransom note, and trying to compose yourself for the hardest acting job of your life takes time ... lots of time.

IMO

....no-one in their right mind would fly their family from Boulder, CO, to Charlevoix, MI in the dead of winter in a small plane...

Charlevoix gets a lot of snow...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbisme
Back