1333 users online (274 members and 1059 guests)  

Websleuths News

Why so many UID Hispanic and Native American females?

there seems to be a disproportionate number of unidentified hispanic and native american females.

anyone have any theories as to why this is?
    Some people do crossword puzzles or Soduko in their spare time...I look at skeletal reconstructions and work on UID puzzles. I swear I'm not this morbid in person!

Help Fred Murray find his daughter and bring her home. He should not be walking those woods alone!
    What Happened to Maura Murray? http://www.mauramurraymissing.com

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    May UID hispanics may be in this country illegally and their families don't know they aren't just working and out of touch. One theory.

I don't know about the Native American UID's.

I was wondering that very same thing as I was listing them all on my myspace page.

well I figured as much with Hispanic females...that maybe a percentage of them were illegal and therefore had no documentation in this country...and therefore make a good victim for a perp, becuase no one will be looking for them.

still unsure about NA females though...I would think that on a reservation everyone knows everyone and someone going missing would be immediately noticed. I don't know though.
    Some people do crossword puzzles or Soduko in their spare time...I look at skeletal reconstructions and work on UID puzzles. I swear I'm not this morbid in person!

Help Fred Murray find his daughter and bring her home. He should not be walking those woods alone!
    What Happened to Maura Murray? http://www.mauramurraymissing.com

Thank you for starting this thread; i have wondered the same thing so many times. When i was doing researching a few years back the lists were so long for those missing; especially in the midwest;CA;TX of Hispanic and First Nation (Native American) peoples.

Definitely, definitely because of aliases and lack of info in US databases if they've stayed out of trouble. Plus, not all of them have families here in the US that could alert people back home. Heck, I'm not even sure their countries have the capacity to keep a missing persons database.

My husband crossed without inspection 10 years ago (don't worry, everyone, we're doing the legal process now and have been going through getting his papers for 16 months now with still no end in sight). I've visited him twice in his country, El Salvador, over the past year that he's been there and they keep records of people in leather bound books in the local alcaldia (so like town records). Their computers are comparable to computers we used here in the US in the mid 1990s. They have very little access to good technology. Now, my husband never used an alias while here in the US, but it's not uncommon by any means.

As a Cherokee, I'm maybe a little more aware than the average person of Native American issues. One of these is the complexity of legal jurisdictions, as illustrated by this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/21/us...anted=all&_r=0

Indian reservations across the United States have grappled for years with chronic rates of crime higher than all but a handful of the nation’s most violent cities. But the Justice Department, which is responsible for prosecuting the most serious crimes on reservations, files charges in only about half of Indian Country murder investigations and turns down nearly two-thirds of sexual assault cases, according to new federal data.

<snip>

But tribes say they are rarely told why reservation cases are not pursued by the government.

“One of the basic problems is that not only are they declining to prosecute cases, but we are not getting the reason or notification for the declination,” said Jerry Gardner of the Tribal Law and Policy Institute in West Hollywood, Calif., which works with tribes to develop justice programs. “The federal system takes a long time to make a decision, and when it comes to something like a child sexual assault, the community gets the message that nothing is being done.”
    I have definitely noticed a serious underreporting of missing NA persons in trying to match up NA UIDs. It could be that the missing person's family believes it's futile to approach LE agencies. It could be that they have approached LE but received little or no help. It could be that LE refused to file a report because the missing person "probably just got drunk and wandered off."

NA families don't love their missing ones any less than other families do; they just tend to get less support from the agencies that are supposed to be there to help.

Another thing to ponder about, according to RAINN the demographic most at risk for sexual assault is Native Americans (Followed by Mixed race). I attached the little tid-bit.

I also want to know why there is so much violence towards Native Americans. I can understand the UIDs that never get identified being hispanic just because there are migrant workers and even if they are in the country legally their family may not be.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaliLucia View Post
    Another thing to ponder about, according to RAINN the demographic most at risk for sexual assault is Native Americans (Followed by Mixed race). I attached the little tid-bit.

I also want to know why there is so much violence towards Native Americans. I can understand the UIDs that never get identified being hispanic just because there are migrant workers and even if they are in the country legally their family may not be.
    Lack of prosecution means the perpetrators are free to act any way they want, with little or no fear of any consequences.

Missing and Murdered: No One Knows How Many Native Women Have Disappeared

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwor...ppeared-164099