1091 users online (212 members and 879 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Father abandons 9 children in Nebraska

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4477585.shtml

"Nine children were left at a hospital by their father late Wednesday under the state's new safe haven law, a move officials say illustrates the problems many feared when the rule went into effect.

The father, who was not identified, left the children aged 1 to 17 at Creighton University Medical Center's emergency room. ..."

I just cannot fathom what was going on in this man's home that he took such drastic means. There are so many ways to get assistance, help etc if he was truly unable to financially afford the kids, feed them, etc. This is so heartbreaking. I equally cannot imagine the scares these children will have because of this.
    Only my opinion, no one else need agree.

the children are better off, and thats what really matters. wonder where the mother is, and if she had any say in this, but hopefully we will never know, because i also hope they dont hound this father.

being an unwanted, despised child for 5 years, useful only for welfare benefits, i believe these younguns are going to be fine.

The law was miswritten to say that you could abandon a "child" with no specific age limits. Now parents have a way to just shirk their responsibilities and throw away their children with no legal repurcussions whenver the going gets tough.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    The law was miswritten to say that you could abandon a "child" with no specific age limits. Now parents have a way to just shirk their responsibilities and throw away their children with no legal repurcussions whenver the going gets tough.
    Which, IMO, beats the hell out of putting them on the streets or killing them and dumping their bodies.
    Seriously, if a 'parent' is willing to shirk their responsibilities and throw their children away, it's good there is a safe place to take them, because someone who feels that way about their own kids have no business with them in the first place.
    Lanie

Can someone please explain safe haven laws? I am so confused.
    Recently, a mom abandoned her hours-old newborn on the steps of a police station. The news announced they were looking for the mom. Why? Doesn't this protect them?

idk

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Which, IMO, beats the hell out of putting them on the streets or killing them and dumping their bodies.
    Seriously, if a 'parent' is willing to shirk their responsibilities and throw their children away, it's good there is a safe place to take them, because someone who feels that way about their own kids have no business with them in the first place.
    Lanie

Amen!
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsG728 View Post
    Can someone please explain safe haven laws? I am so confused.
    Recently, a mom abandoned her hours-old newborn on the steps of a police station. The news announced they were looking for the mom. Why? Doesn't this protect them?

idk

They vary by state which makes them confusing. Some are only hospitals, some include police and fire stations in addition to hospitals. Also, they are supposed to relinquish the child to someone, inside. Not leave them out on steps or in the parking lot..
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Lanie
    ITA!!!
    Otherwise this thread could have been started for a headline to this affect:
    "9 children found slain in their home-father missing"
    You won't cry for my absence, I know -
    You forgot me long ago. Am I that unimportant...?
    Am I so insignificant...? Isn't something missing?
    Isn't someone missing me?
    Evanescence
    Please take a moment to see Deanna's Age progression here:
    http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...archLang=en_US
    Deanna Merryfield-missing from Killeen,Tx since July 1990
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=106164

Thank God!!! Fewer murdered, abused, sick, hungry children. Hope to God that every state does this!!

I'm not saying the children shouldn't be given a safe haven (duh, I certainly wouldn't want a child left in a home where there is a danger) but parents are financially responsible for the maintenance of their children. When a family divorces the non-custodial parent is legally responsible for child support, whether they want to take care of the child or not. Dead-beat parents are made to pay one way or another (or at least theat's they way it's supposed to work). If a mom gets AFDC from teh state, the state goes after the dad to repay it. But if a parent abandons their child at a hospital (just for argument sake, say a 15 year old), they are no longer responsible in any way for their support?? Doesn't make sense.

Which I consider preferable to throwing an unwanted child away in a dumpster.

Shadow, I see where you are coming from. If you have a child, you should take care of the child for life. Some people can't or won't do it, so I am glad to see the parent is at least responsible enough to take the child/children to a safe drop off.
    Tammie in Miami

Vini, Vidi, Velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around

I feel so badly for these children and I have every sympathy for their father. I have had to get assistance before for my children and thank God there was someone there to help us. I just want to bring them all to my home and take care of them. At least he brought them to a safe haven area and from what understand, he was quite distraught about it. He may have lost his home, his job...just pray for him and for them.
    John 3:16

Everyday it is my fervent prayer that these cases are solved

I have read this story and I just have to say that I cannot blame this father for doing what he has. These children are aged 1 to 17. It is obvious that something happened and he could not provide for them. I am, frankly, glad that he realized he could not take care of them all and took them to places where he knew they would be safe and taken care of.

There is a reason for the safe haven laws and this parent took advantage of it. I do not see it as shirking his responsibilities as a parent, but as a man who chose to make a decision to make sure his children are safe. No blame from me. What's the point of having these laws, some childs parent uses this law *for* their children, and then state how awful they are?

My best wishes for these children and also for the parent who gave them up. He chose well, imo.
    "I went to the bank and asked to borrow a cup of money. They said, "What for?". I said, "I'm going to buy some sugar".

I also am glad that the father didn't murder or neglect his children but had somewhere safe to take them. But I also feel very badly for the kids who, no doubt, will be split up in order to provide them homes. That will be extremely traumatic for them all, especially the older ones who will have a difficult time finding a home. Very few foster parents are willing to invest in teenagers.

tbthow is offline Baby T is out of the hospital again : ) Strong Boy!
    That is sad, What is sadder here is that they are thinking of revamping the "rules" for this.. They want newborn babies. In my part of the state that is. I feel so sorry for all these older children no where to go if this bill passes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast