Father abandons 9 children in Nebraska

PattyCake

Gypsy By Heart
Reaction score
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/25/national/main4477585.shtml

"Nine children were left at a hospital by their father late Wednesday under the state's new safe haven law, a move officials say illustrates the problems many feared when the rule went into effect.

The father, who was not identified, left the children aged 1 to 17 at Creighton University Medical Center's emergency room. ..."

I just cannot fathom what was going on in this man's home that he took such drastic means. There are so many ways to get assistance, help etc if he was truly unable to financially afford the kids, feed them, etc. This is so heartbreaking. I equally cannot imagine the scares these children will have because of this.

the children are better off, and thats what really matters. wonder where the mother is, and if she had any say in this, but hopefully we will never know, because i also hope they dont hound this father.

being an unwanted, despised child for 5 years, useful only for welfare benefits, i believe these younguns are going to be fine.

The law was miswritten to say that you could abandon a "child" with no specific age limits. Now parents have a way to just shirk their responsibilities and throw away their children with no legal repurcussions whenver the going gets tough.

The law was miswritten to say that you could abandon a "child" with no specific age limits. Now parents have a way to just shirk their responsibilities and throw away their children with no legal repurcussions whenver the going gets tough.

Which, IMO, beats the hell out of putting them on the streets or killing them and dumping their bodies.
Seriously, if a 'parent' is willing to shirk their responsibilities and throw their children away, it's good there is a safe place to take them, because someone who feels that way about their own kids have no business with them in the first place.
Lanie

:waitasec: Can someone please explain safe haven laws? I am so confused.
Recently, a mom abandoned her hours-old newborn on the steps of a police station. The news announced they were looking for the mom. Why? Doesn't this protect them?

idk

Which, IMO, beats the hell out of putting them on the streets or killing them and dumping their bodies.
Seriously, if a 'parent' is willing to shirk their responsibilities and throw their children away, it's good there is a safe place to take them, because someone who feels that way about their own kids have no business with them in the first place.
Lanie

Amen!

:waitasec: Can someone please explain safe haven laws? I am so confused.
Recently, a mom abandoned her hours-old newborn on the steps of a police station. The news announced they were looking for the mom. Why? Doesn't this protect them?

idk

They vary by state which makes them confusing. Some are only hospitals, some include police and fire stations in addition to hospitals. Also, they are supposed to relinquish the child to someone, inside. Not leave them out on steps or in the parking lot..

Lanie
ITA!!!
Otherwise this thread could have been started for a headline to this affect:
"9 children found slain in their home-father missing"

Thank God!!! Fewer murdered, abused, sick, hungry children. Hope to God that every state does this!!

I'm not saying the children shouldn't be given a safe haven (duh, I certainly wouldn't want a child left in a home where there is a danger) but parents are financially responsible for the maintenance of their children. When a family divorces the non-custodial parent is legally responsible for child support, whether they want to take care of the child or not. Dead-beat parents are made to pay one way or another (or at least theat's they way it's supposed to work). If a mom gets AFDC from teh state, the state goes after the dad to repay it. But if a parent abandons their child at a hospital (just for argument sake, say a 15 year old), they are no longer responsible in any way for their support?? Doesn't make sense.

Which I consider preferable to throwing an unwanted child away in a dumpster.

Shadow, I see where you are coming from. If you have a child, you should take care of the child for life. Some people can't or won't do it, so I am glad to see the parent is at least responsible enough to take the child/children to a safe drop off.

I feel so badly for these children and I have every sympathy for their father. I have had to get assistance before for my children and thank God there was someone there to help us. I just want to bring them all to my home and take care of them. At least he brought them to a safe haven area and from what understand, he was quite distraught about it. He may have lost his home, his job...just pray for him and for them.

I have read this story and I just have to say that I cannot blame this father for doing what he has. These children are aged 1 to 17. It is obvious that something happened and he could not provide for them. I am, frankly, glad that he realized he could not take care of them all and took them to places where he knew they would be safe and taken care of.

There is a reason for the safe haven laws and this parent took advantage of it. I do not see it as shirking his responsibilities as a parent, but as a man who chose to make a decision to make sure his children are safe. No blame from me. What's the point of having these laws, some childs parent uses this law *for* their children, and then state how awful they are?

My best wishes for these children and also for the parent who gave them up. He chose well, imo.

I also am glad that the father didn't murder or neglect his children but had somewhere safe to take them. But I also feel very badly for the kids who, no doubt, will be split up in order to provide them homes. That will be extremely traumatic for them all, especially the older ones who will have a difficult time finding a home. Very few foster parents are willing to invest in teenagers.

That is sad, What is sadder here is that they are thinking of revamping the "rules" for this.. They want newborn babies. In my part of the state that is. I feel so sorry for all these older children no where to go if this bill passes.

Well I hope there are more choices in life when you have problems than to drop your family off at the nearest hospital, or murder them. There are social services, relatives, friends, and family. There are churches, and crisis nurseries, and many other sources of help. But one must ask and try to figure out other options. He may have exhausted every option, I don't know, I guess I need to know more about this particular situation before I say that dumping your children is a good thing.

Perhaps his options were what they are. I do not see him as dumping his children, but as a parent who realized he could not do well by them on any level any longer.

There are many services out there, but many are strapped to help others depending on what recources they have by the state they work in.

I still stand by my support towards this parent and his children. I wish and hope the best for all.

This man appears to have been fathering for 17 years. Can you imagine knowing that you are in a crisis and can no longer take care of the children and dividing out which of your 9 children you would drop into safe haven? Can you imagine feeling desperate and thinking of a huge murder suicide thing and then catching yourself and saying to yourself, "Take the kids to safe haven, you MUST."

I can't imagine what is going on here. The question about "where is the mother" is a very good question. Certainly the older children know who their father and mother are. The older children know much.

There is a part of me that has to wonder if a very frustrated father might have felt a momentary, "Don't think I can't get you in order, I can and will drop you off if I must."

These children need our prayers. Their parents appear to need them too.

Wrinkles

You know, the "safe haven" law was designed to protect babies/children unable to fend for themselves. What this man has done--at least in regard to the older children--is abandon his duty to care for them. He should have to go through all the requirements that anyone else giving a child up for adoption must, not rely on a law that is designed for another purpose, and simply absolve himself of any responsibility by dropping off seven kids to be wards of the state.

Mrs. G, like Cubby said it varies by State. The woman you are referring to is in Pennsylvania. She left the baby outside the fire house and then called them saying a baby was there. They did find her, but let her go as she had researched the safe haven laws, but as we are confused she thought it was the same in all States.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts
Back