Chemical Castration on Sex Offenders

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
http://www.wftv.com/news/9537562/detail.html

Statistics show most sex offenders rape and rape again, but Florida judges are ignoring a law designed to protect women and children from sexual attacks. Channel 9's Barbara West found repeat offenders are not receiving their mandatory sentence.

Chemical castration for a rapist may sound as barbaric as cutting off the hand of a thief. But it's nothing more than a weekly injection of a female hormone that controls a rapist's urge for sex. They don't grow breasts, their testicles don't shrink. The shots simply reduce their insatiable desire for sex.

Florida lawmakers made the injections mandatory for repeat offenders in 1997. The law even gave judges the option of sentencing first time offenders to the shots.

Our Channel 9 investigation discovered, since the law went into effect almost nine years ago, more than 2,800 rapists have been sent to jail, including 121 who raped repeatedly. Keep in mind, for repeat offenders, the sentence of chemical castration is mandatory. But Channel 9 discovered only eight of those offenders were sentenced to chemical castration and not one has ever received the shots.

Orlando Judge Anthony Johnson was the first of only a few judges ever to impose the sentence. He said he couldn't explain why other judges were ignoring the state's chemical castration law

Why chemical? Seems to me that weekly shots are time consuming. One shot with a razor blade to the privates ought to be plenty.

Beyond Belief said:
http://www.wftv.com/news/9537562/detail.html

Statistics show most sex offenders rape and rape again, but Florida judges are ignoring a law designed to protect women and children from sexual attacks. Channel 9's Barbara West found repeat offenders are not receiving their mandatory sentence.

Chemical castration for a rapist may sound as barbaric as cutting off the hand of a thief. But it's nothing more than a weekly injection of a female hormone that controls a rapist's urge for sex. They don't grow breasts, their testicles don't shrink. The shots simply reduce their insatiable desire for sex.

Florida lawmakers made the injections mandatory for repeat offenders in 1997. The law even gave judges the option of sentencing first time offenders to the shots.

Our Channel 9 investigation discovered, since the law went into effect almost nine years ago, more than 2,800 rapists have been sent to jail, including 121 who raped repeatedly. Keep in mind, for repeat offenders, the sentence of chemical castration is mandatory. But Channel 9 discovered only eight of those offenders were sentenced to chemical castration and not one has ever received the shots.

Orlando Judge Anthony Johnson was the first of only a few judges ever to impose the sentence. He said he couldn't explain why other judges were ignoring the state's chemical castration law

Ok, I say put the judge in the cell with the rapist for a while, we'll see the law being followed real fast then!!
If it was them being raped, or their children IMO these judges would be feeling differently about it.
Now some scientist needs to develope a chemical castration that lasts longer than a week... shall we say lifetime?

OB

Better yet, move the judge next to the repeated offenders house.....:clap:

Poland to impose chemical castration on sex offenders after 'Polish Fritzl' incest case

By Barry Wigmore
25th September 2008

Poland is to become the first country in the European Union to force convicted paedophiles to undergo chemical castration.

Judges will get the power to order the procedure under a law being rushed through the country's parliament next month in the wake of an incest case that has horrified the nation.

The 45-year-old man accused in that case has been dubbed the Polish Josef Fritzl - after the Austrian who locked up his daughter for 20 years and fathered a family with her.

Polish policemen transport the 45-year-old man in Siedlce after arresting him on charges of repeatedly raping his daughter. The case sparked such fury in Poland that it resulted in the controversial castration law

The legislation will make chemical castration a ' necessary medical procedure' if a sex criminal is thought to pose a risk to others.

It will allow offenders to be held down while drugs that take away their sexual urges are administered.

European civil liberties groups have condemned the move, saying it violates fundamental human rights.

But Polish prime minister Donald Tusk soared in popularity in the opinion polls after he announced the proposal.

He said: 'I don't think you can call such individuals - such creatures - human beings. 'Therefore, I don't think you can talk about human rights in such a case.'

It emerged last month that Britain is to offer convicted paedophiles chemical castration to curb their urges, but only if offenders agree to it.

Similar voluntary schemes have already been set up in Sweden, Denmark, Canada and eight states in the United States and are reported to have proved successful.

In Poland, the health and justice ministries were last night working urgently on the draft legislation.

Political commentators said it seems certain to be approved by parliament, where MPs are clearly in favour of punitive castration.

The plan does not violate European law because, apart from a blanket ban on the death penalty, the EU's 27 member nations are responsible for their own criminal legislation.

Polish citizens could challenge the move in the European Court of Human Rights, but there seemed little enthusiasm for that last night.

Most Poles seemed to agree with their justice minister, Zbigniew Cwiakalski, when he said: 'Everyone talks about the rights of criminals, but what about the rights of the victims?

'Where is the safety and health of our children? We have the right to use measures that will protect the public.'

Supporters of the move stressed that chemical castration is not permanent like physical castration by surgery and can be reversed simply by stopping the medication.

But experts who work with sex offenders warned that the sex drive-suppressing drugs are no guarantee that a paedophile will not strike again.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1061910/Poland-impose-chemical-castration-sex-offenders-Polish-Fritzl-incest-case.html

Good! While it is no guarantee, it could certainly stop some repeat offenders.

I would rather see a permanent physical castration though. The chemical one is not permanent, and I can't imagine many offenders will agree to it, or even be available for reupping on the medication.

Does anyone remember the name of the man who had chemical castration and then murdered a little girl in his apartment building? It was one of the most disturbing things I have ever read.

Kiva, thank you for this article.

I tend to agree with both of you on this one. ACLU will never let it happen though.

Years ago, I know of a man that was arrested for molesting my best friend's little sister. I was 14 at the time and it was all hush hush. I read in the paper the story it made headlines because the man had been castrated years previously for the same thing. I know he came from a different country I do not remember where, but he still had the urges to MOLEST. I do not know if chemicals would be able to change anything. I guess drugs can do almost anything.

Castrating, be it chemical or actual, can't be 100% relied upon to deter sexual criminals from committing more sexual crimes. From reading various crime cases I've come to the opinion that sexual desires that are on the criminal level tend to be from a psychological stand point, not a hormonal one... thus whatever castration takes away from the offender, they will just look to other ways of assaulting their victims.

I am all for doing whatever possible to contain sexual offenders desires to harm, and castration may stop some... but not all, that do get castrated... it should not be relied upon as the main punishment for sex crimes.

I think it should be done to all. I know I have read there are drawbacks that is does not work for everyone. Also, this is a crime of aggression and violence, would it put an end to those feelings? (NO) So would these SO then begin to kill their victims? Some kill anyway.

I think it is a chance we should be willing to take esp. since it is voluntary and they are choosing to undergo said procedure. Who is to argue? IF it stops even 1 offender then there is one offender not raping. Saying it is cruel does not bother me in the least bit. What SO do to their victims is henious, and those victims lives are then screwed up the rest of their lives. We also have to consider they kill their victims. That is what is cruel, not castrating some SOB-SO. JMO.

Gozgals

It has been done before. Take a look at this link. http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20087131,00.html

This was a long time ago, it involves a prominent man in my hometown. I am quite familiar with the players in the case, including the judge. My dad was a vp/ corporate officer with UpJohn (now Pfizer) at the time. UpJohn was the maker of Depo. As the article said, Gauntlett got a dose of his own medicine.

Eve

An interesting theory and discussion but I believe that it's been proven to be largely unsuccessful. The organ causing the problem is the brain not the genitalia. This certainly might help, though.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Euro...-Medvedev-suggests-it-for-Russia-s-pedophiles

Chemical castration: Why Medvedev suggests it for Russia's pedophiles

"President Dmitry Medvedev has called on Russian lawmakers to consider "chemical castration" for child molesters – a response to what some officials call an unprecedented wave of sexual crimes against minors. Mr. Medvedev's comments mark the first time the Kremlin has weighed in on the demands by several Duma members and family law experts for tougher penalties for convicted pedophiles.

"Punishments should be as harsh as possible," Medvedev told a government meeting Tuesday. "The state should use all means possible, and a liberal approach here is totally unacceptable. I suggest discussion of measures including medical procedures for such individuals, including injections that would block the action of their hormones...."

and

"....But as a result of liberal legislation, Russia has become a haven for pedophiles. We need to change that; since Russia has a moratorium on the death penalty, then there should be mandatory life imprisonment for such crimes. Our society will only welcome such measures...."

more at link

I believe European studies show that castration is pretty successful. Of course it does not guarantee that an offender won't re-offend, but in general it does work. Reduction in testosterone reduces sex drive and violent tendencies.
Of course surgical castration would work even better, because it's not reversible.

Wasn't there recently a man in the US who offered to be castrated in exchange for a plea? I think we have a thread. I wonder how that turned out.

Does anyone know if the civil commitment facilities use chemical castration? Because if they do, it's not working so well. The men at several have been caught, time and again, downloading child *advertiser censored* while they're supposed to be working on job skills on the computer.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintexas
Back