1216 users online (208 members and 1008 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35
  1. #1

    Landfills

    What do we know about searching for Caylee in a landfill? I've heard ppl say that there are ways and such...? Is there someone from LE that can clarify if a body can be found in a landfill? Has OCSO searched in the landfills?


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    166
    Lori Hacking's body was found in a landfill, so yes, it can definitely be done. It took quite a while though, IIRC.

    I know I read an article that mentioned GPS tracking on the dumpsters in Orlando, but I don't have a link for that. I just remember reading it somewhere. If that's the case, I think it would make a landfill search faster than it was in the Hacking case.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Talison View Post
    Lori Hacking's body was found in a landfill, so yes, it can definitely be done. It took quite a while though, IIRC.

    I know I read an article that mentioned GPS tracking on the dumpsters in Orlando, but I don't have a link for that. I just remember reading it somewhere. If that's the case, I think it would make a landfill search faster than it was in the Hacking case.
    But in Lori's case they knew pretty much where he put her and what area of the landfill she would have been deposited into. IIRC, they stopped all dumping in one area of the landfill. It was still incredibly difficult and Loris' body was weeks old not months.
    The cadaver dogs can't search there very well and it is just an awful situation.

    If Caylee is in the landfill, I think the chance of finding her is between slim and none. jmho of course.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,752
    exit13 mentioned 2 landfills didn;t he?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    8,074
    here is a thread about a landfill search it might give you some info on whats been done and what hasnt

    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...light=landfill

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    33,799
    LE knew specifically which dumpster Lori had been dumped in and started searching the landfill immediately. IIRC, it took over two month's and all they found was 15 pounds of her. At the SLC landfill, there is over 3000 tons of garbage dumped daily. Multiply something like 3000 plus tons by 31 or more days.

    Landfill searches costs over 100K and have to be written into a municipal budget. Then you have to get clearance from OSHA. Landfill searches are extremely dangerous. There is a risk of diseases and there are rodents and bugs. Most cadaver dog owners will not take their dogs into a landfill. In Lori's case, the garbage was spread out by a backhoe and then the dogs were brought in on a limited basis. The search for Lori at the landfill became so dangerous that LE officially pulled out. It was completely done on a volunteer basis with first responders and search and rescue. Many of them physically and mentally broke down.

    It has been written that dumping a body in a dumpster is quite effective. For this reason it's been stated that cadaver dogs would hit on a high number of dumpsters in any given city. There are cases after cases where homeless people disappear after last being sighted sleeping in a dumpster. They are never found.

  7. #7
    SuziQ....Thank you for answering my question. I am deeply saddened that it is not an easier task, but at least I understand why it is so difficult and we haven't heard more about searches being done there.

    Busylady...that you for that link. I read a post about someone who works at a landfill and how it is catalogued.

    Why couldn't Cindy have come down harder on Casey in a timely manner??? WHY?

  8. #8
    Pondering Mind's Avatar
    Pondering Mind is offline here a ponder, there a ponder...everywhere a ponder = ADD
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Over The Hills And Through The Woods..on the corner,S.C..
    Posts
    5,425
    Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    exit13 mentioned 2 landfills didn;t he?
    Yes he did, and then mentioned the one in particular when J Jordan asked him to clarify, maybe for search purposes? I can't remember the name of it without going back to look.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sunny East Jabip
    Posts
    5,476
    If I may recap a conversation I had specifically about this-

    Only licensed, non-civillian haz-mat personnel can "search" a landfill.
    EVEN IF, they could conclusively pinpoint a dumpster location, date and time, the risk asessment/probability study at this point would likely negate the court order it would take to lauch it in the first place.

    I HATE that, I double HATE that. Suz is right, intensely dangerous to personel. Holding out for Dr. Bass and the Body Farm.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    33,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimster View Post
    SuziQ....Thank you for answering my question. I am deeply saddened that it is not an easier task, but at least I understand why it is so difficult and we haven't heard more about searches being done there.

    Busylady...that you for that link. I read a post about someone who works at a landfill and how it is catalogued.

    Why couldn't Cindy have come down harder on Casey in a timely manner??? WHY?
    I can't point you to a link, but there was a landfill search of somesort in this case. To what extent, has never been stated. Coordinating GPS info with specific dumpsters or setting aside garbage like they did in Lori's case? We can hope.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by SuziQ View Post
    LE knew specifically which dumpster Lori had been dumped in and started searching the landfill immediately. IIRC, it took over two month's and all they found was 15 pounds of her. At the SLC landfill, there is over 3000 tons of garbage dumped daily. Multiply something like 3000 plus tons by 31 or more days.

    Landfill searches costs over 100K and have to be written into a municipal budget. Then you have to get clearance from OSHA. Landfill searches are extremely dangerous. There is a risk of diseases and there are rodents and bugs. Most cadaver dog owners will not take their dogs into a landfill. In Lori's case, the garbage was spread out by a backhoe and then the dogs were brought in on a limited basis. The search for Lori at the landfill became so dangerous that LE officially pulled out. It was completely done on a volunteer basis with first responders and search and rescue. Many of them physically and mentally broke down.

    It has been written that dumping a body in a dumpster is quite effective. For this reason it's been stated that cadaver dogs would hit on a high number of dumpsters in any given city. There are cases after cases where homeless people disappear after last being sighted sleeping in a dumpster. They are never found.
    Wow- good info- thanks for sharing. I fear that Caylee may be in a landfill! Casey does NOT seem worried about her being found and she will NEVER tell us what she did w/her. IMO

    Justice for Caylee!
    Can you put truth serum in brownies??? Casey/Jose...Knock, Knock…CANDY GRAM!!!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sunny East Jabip
    Posts
    5,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimster View Post
    respectfully snipped
    Busylady...that you for that link. I read a post about someone who works at a landfill and how it is catalogued.


    Why couldn't Cindy have come down harder on Casey in a timely manner??? WHY?
    Honetly Kimster, by the time she found her it was probably too late if that matters, However if you mean WAY earlier like before she began enabling her, I completely agree.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    33,799
    Blink, I had no idea about the Hazmat requirement. Interesting and understandable!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    2,097
    Quote Originally Posted by SuziQ View Post
    LE knew specifically which dumpster Lori had been dumped in and started searching the landfill immediately. IIRC, it took over two month's and all they found was 15 pounds of her. At the SLC landfill, there is over 3000 tons of garbage dumped daily. Multiply something like 3000 plus tons by 31 or more days.

    Landfill searches costs over 100K and have to be written into a municipal budget. Then you have to get clearance from OSHA. Landfill searches are extremely dangerous. There is a risk of diseases and there are rodents and bugs. Most cadaver dog owners will not take their dogs into a landfill. In Lori's case, the garbage was spread out by a backhoe and then the dogs were brought in on a limited basis. The search for Lori at the landfill became so dangerous that LE officially pulled out. It was completely done on a volunteer basis with first responders and search and rescue. Many of them physically and mentally broke down.

    It has been written that dumping a body in a dumpster is quite effective. For this reason it's been stated that cadaver dogs would hit on a high number of dumpsters in any given city. There are cases after cases where homeless people disappear after last being sighted sleeping in a dumpster. They are never found.
    Thanks for the info, SuziQ.

    I'm pretty sure it was LP who mentioned the GPS possibly being on garbage trucks here - not sure if it is true or not...

  15. #15
    Pondering Mind's Avatar
    Pondering Mind is offline here a ponder, there a ponder...everywhere a ponder = ADD
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Over The Hills And Through The Woods..on the corner,S.C..
    Posts
    5,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Pondering Mind View Post
    Yes he did, and then mentioned the one in particular when J Jordan asked him to clarify, maybe for search purposes? I can't remember the name of it without going back to look.
    Quoting myself to note that Young Pine Landfill was the name of the one that Exit 13 gave to J Jordan. (I had to go back through what seems likes millions of threads!)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Trash Talk -- Landfills, Dumpsters, etc.
    By Noway in forum Somer Renee Thompson
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-05-2010, 09:36 PM