Gary R. (Tow Truck Driver) Interview Only - 7/24/08

I found it odd that he has the same name as the Green River Killer

Showed up to tow the Sunfire at 9:06 and says about 10 minutes later he was gone, headed back to the lot.

I think this may be significant info combined with the timing of Casey using Tony's Jeep, dropping him at the airport, and her showing up at Amy's at 9:45am asking about buying a gas can.

I know poor guy, first the name and then he gets mixed up with this case!

I wonder how the Ted Bundy's & John Gacy's of the world deal with sharing the name of a notorious serial killer?

Stranger still, why did this tow truck guy smell nothing on June 30? If every talked about the horrible smell and the police seen to feel caylee was killed on June 17th... I find that hard to believe that there was no smell and then a week later there was?
a cold or not, he would have smelled something.. everyone seemed to describe this smell as really awful.

Stranger still, why did this tow truck guy smell nothing on June 30? If every talked about the horrible smell and the police seen to feel caylee was killed on June 17th... I find that hard to believe that there was no smell and then a week later there was?
a cold or not, he would have smelled something.. everyone seemed to describe this smell as really awful.

That is a great point!

I posted this on another thread, but it probably belongs here.

It is possible that the tow truck driver didn't smell it because it had been sitting outside and exposed to the air? I thought the car was locked, so he could not have gotten in to the car. Perhaps after it was sitting in the garage at tow yard for two weeks (inside of the garage) the smell accumulated.

It is possible that the tow truck driver didn't smell it because it had been sitting outside and exposed to the air? I thought the car was locked, so he could not have gotten in to the car. Perhaps after it was sitting in the garage at tow yard for two weeks (inside of the garage) the smell accumulated.

And the tow truck driver said he had a cold that day that he towed the vehicle.

He was sick with a cold and couldn't smell anything. IIRC

And maybe he towed it from the front of the car, instead of from the rear?
So he possibly never even really got near the trunk?

The car was parked (nose) in pulled in the parking place.

And maybe he towed it from the front of the car, instead of from the rear?
So he possibly never even really got near the trunk?

The car was hooked up from the rear..I just found that out about a week ago when I was re-reading some of the interviews. I missed it the first time.

page 3 line 10

Gary Ridgeway Notes from Interview with LE on July 24, 2008
Tow truck Drive from Johnson’s Wrecker http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72013

GR: Gary stated the car was nosed into parking spot.
Page 767 Lines 5 Gary R. Interview with LE on 7/24/2008
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72013

GR: Gary stated the car was locked
Page 767 Lines 7 Gary R. Interview with LE on 7/24/2008

GR: Gary stated the child seat was in the backseat of car
Page 767 Lines 14-15 Gary R. Interview with LE on 7/24/2008

GR: Gary stated he was on the backside of a cold
LE: You couldn’t smell anything.
Page 767 Lines 5 & Page 768 Lines 1 Gary R. Interview with LE on 7/24/2008

GR: Gary stated the car was dispatched at 8:50AM, He was there at 9:06AM, He was leaving by 9:16AM, He was done by 10:00AM.
Page 769 Lines 18-21 Gary R. Interview with LE on 7/24/2008

When he picked up the car, even if he caught a whiff of a bad smell, he may have assumed it was something in the dumpster. After it got to the tow yard, he may not have been around it much.

That is one truth that Cindy told. "The tow guy didn't smell anything, there was not smell" most people can't when they have a cold.

I posted this elsewhere but I will ask it here anyway. Is it possible that Caylee met with whatever happened to her, later than anyone thinks? Not on the 17th but later, nearer the end of June? When the car was picked up on June 30th perhaps there was no odor. Only after it had been sitting out in the sun at the wreckage yard. Do they leave the cars out in the wreckage yard? If so the odor probably took a couple of days to appear. The tow truck guy would have had his nose pretty close to that trunk if he had to hook up under the back end of the car.
I had another thought too, have they ever looked at the time periods when Caylee was not with Casey or Cindy? Where Casey would be at that time?
Like in the month of May?

Four possibilities.

1. There was no smell.
2. There was a smell and he did smell it but doesn't want to be involved so he said he had a cold and couldn't smell anything.
3. There was a smell and he didn't smell it because the trunk had a sufficient seal so that it wasn't smelled outside the vehicle on the day of the towing.
4. There was a smell but it was parked by a dumpster so he didn't recognize it came from the car and doesn't remember that.

GA said he drove home with the windows down so it clearly impacted the inside of the car on that day.
Seems the second option is more likely.

Four possibilities.

1. There was no smell.
2. There was a smell and he did smell it but doesn't want to be involved so he said he had a cold and couldn't smell anything.
3. There was a smell and he didn't smell it because the trunk had a sufficient seal so that it wasn't smelled outside the vehicle on the day of the towing.
4. There was a smell but it was parked by a dumpster so he didn't recognize it came from the car and doesn't remember that.

GA said he drove home with the windows down so it clearly impacted the inside of the car on that day.
Seems the second option is more likely.

When George was driving the car it was a week after it had been towed , right? I was thinking more in terms of the timeline. Surely , if Caylee had been in that trunk on the 17th of June and after for any period of time that car would have certainly had an odor strong enough to pentrate outside the car.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back