Melamine tainted candy found in the US

Melamine was first detected in the human food chain in 2007, when USDA tests indicated that cattle that consumed melamine tainted wheat gluten in their feed had trace amounts of the chemical in their bodies when processed for human consumption.

Melamine, for those who need a refresher, was what caused the mass deaths of pets in the pet food scandal-it causes renal failure and a build up of ammonia in the blood.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-melamine.htm

Poisoned dog food
Poisoned toys
Poisoned toothpaste
Poisoned candy

Are you sure the real terrorists are not oriental?

Don't forget the poisoned sandals that caused horrible blisters and infections anywhere the colored portion touched.

JMHO
fran

And that would explain why Cadbury (UK candy company) is recalling it's Chinese-made candy.

We import so many products into this country that if someone wanted to they could kill a lot of people just by contamination or poisoning!!!!

We import so many products into this country that if someone wanted to they could kill a lot of people just by contamination or poisoning!!!!

Hmmm-the key however is to lull the FDA into thinking that there is such a thing as "acceptable levels" of melamine in our food...like the cow thing. So the animals, for example, were getting a double whammy because the wheat gluten being used in the animal food was tainted AND the animal renderings in the animal food were tainted.

So if we have a little melamaine in our food chain everywhere, the end result is...

Now, how long does it stick around in the body I wonder?

And that would explain why Cadbury (UK candy company) is recalling it's Chinese-made candy.

I will be curious to see if this is a tip of the iceburg thing, and we will find out that Hershey's has been using Chinese milk protein because milk in the US is too expensive....

I will be curious to see if this is a tip of the iceburg thing, and we will find out that Hershey's has been using Chinese milk protein because milk in the US is too expensive....

And Hershey's has opened a plant in Mexico where much of its candy is now produced much cheaper than in USA. Who knows where they get their milk product???

I am going to revisit Halloween candy this year for toys instead....or something else....

Don't forget the poisoned sandals that caused horrible blisters and infections anywhere the colored portion touched.

JMHO
fran

Of course. My dog died in the poisoned dog food thing, so I'm still really ticked off at whoever made the decison to do that.

I usually never buy anything made in China, if I can help it. But with the dog food it was made in the US with ingredients imported from China. How are we supposed to know where the manufacturers are buying their ingredients?? This sucks.

I usually never buy anything made in China, if I can help it. But with the dog food it was made in the US with ingredients imported from China. How are we supposed to know where the manufacturers are buying their ingredients?? This sucks.

Seriously, mine ate the wet canned dog food from WalMart. WalMart. There's a WalMart EVERYWHERE. You assume it's safe.

I would assume that Wal-Mart can sell cheap BECAUSE it buys cheap. Though I'm not at all sure that anywhere else is any safer.

I would assume that Wal-Mart can sell cheap BECAUSE it buys cheap. Though I'm not at all sure that anywhere else is any safer.

See now, I would think that WalMart is probably purina in walmart cans, you know? But it didn't matter, in the end, because all of the wheat gluten was imported from the same country.

So lovely people; where does all of the milk protein come from and you can BET no one wants to break the answer to that questions until AFTER Halloween. JMO.

See now, I would think that WalMart is probably purina in walmart cans, you know? But it didn't matter, in the end, because all of the wheat gluten was imported from the same country.

So lovely people; where does all of the milk protein come from and you can BET no one wants to break the answer to that questions until AFTER Halloween. JMO.

My Grandfather worked in a canning factory (kidney beans) and he said they'd literally change the labels in the machine, but nothing else, between generic and Dole (or whatever the name brand was.) Not every place does this. For example, generic spaghetti sauce is horrible. As for dog food, I have opened generic dog food and Alpo and compared them. Generic looks like wet cardboard. Alpo beef stew looks an awful lot like Dinty Moore! :p

If I'm ever poor enough to eat dog food, I'm buying Alpo.

My Grandfather worked in a canning factory (kidney beans) and he said they'd literally change the labels in the machine, but nothing else, between generic and Dole (or whatever the name brand was.) Not every place does this. For example, generic spaghetti sauce is horrible. As for dog food, I have opened generic dog food and Alpo and compared them. Generic looks like wet cardboard. Alpo beef stew looks an awful lot like Dinty Moore! :p

You are correct and some people will refuse to believe this until their dying day.

I worked at a dry food packaging plant for about 8 years. Many products we packaged were just as you say, the exact same ingredients, different packaging. For example we packaged one of the name brand stuffing mixes and also the Karlin brand for Aldi. The only thing we changed during the change over process was the webbing (The paper rolls that the little envelopes are made out of) and the cardboard box, the stuff that went into the envelopes was the same. The only difference was the name brand stuff's envelopes had printing on them and the generic ones were plain white. All the same, only difference there was the $$$.

Now there are some generics that are only sold as generic and yes, some of those products have their differences. But often there is a sister product out there in a different dress.

Does any of this give you pause, or make you hesitant?

Years ago, my husband worked for a food packaging company, yes, you're right, they just stop the line and change the labels -- sugar, catsup, mustard, etc. I can't remember what other products.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snoopyxxoo31
Back