Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casey's Arraignment This week?

Casey's Arraignment This week?

Am I correct that she has an arraignment this week?
    Second Question..
    I was looking up Florida's arraignment procedures and located this information.
    http://research.lawyers.com/Florida/...n-Florida.html
    Arraignment

Once criminal charges are filed, you'll make a court appearance which is known as an "arraignment." If you are incarcerated, this will usually occur within 72 hours of your arrest.

During your arraignment, you'll be asked to enter a "plea" to the crime you've been charged with. Florida pleas and corresponding definitions follow:

* Guilty plea: If you plead "guilty," you're admitting to the facts of the crime and the fact that you were the one who committed that crime.
    * Not guilty plea: A "not guilty" plea asserts that you did not commit the crime with which you were accused. After your plea, a pre-trial or trial date will be set.
    * No contest plea: A "no contest" plea indicates that, while you are not admitting guilt, you do not dispute the charge. This is preferable to a guilty plea because guilty pleas can be used against you in later civil lawsuits.
    * "Mute" plea: In Florida, you may "stand mute" instead of making a plea. The court will then enter a plea of not guilty. By standing mute, you avoid silently admitting to the correctness of the proceedings against you until that point. You are then free to attack all previous proceedings that may have been irregular.

If you plead "guilty" or "no contest," there will not be a trial. You'll then be sentenced.

During the arraignment, the court will also:

* Set bail
    * Refuse to set bail; or
    * Release you on your own personal recognizance, which means that the court takes your word that you will appear when necessary for later court obligations

I bolded the part in question..
    Could they actually set a high bond this time? Or possibly refuse bond?
    I am no legal eagle here, and just trying to figure out what will actually happen..
    Also,
    With the terms of "guilty", "not guilty" and such..
    * Not guilty plea: A "not guilty" plea asserts that you did not commit the crime with which you were accused. After your plea, a pre-trial or trial date will be set.
    Will her saying she is not guilty actually hurt her case at all, knowing they have video showing she did commit this crime?
    Justice For Caylee Marie

Insomnia Momma is offline If not supported by a link it's just what I think!
    Tomorrow is the arraignment.

Knowing Casey she'll plead "Mute" LOL!

I was under the impression that she already bonded on these charges?

Quote Originally Posted by Insomnia Momma View Post

LOL, Absolutely..

This post is my opinion only, and is subject to making me look totally confused

Quote Originally Posted by Insomnia Momma View Post

My understanding is the same, so why would there even be an arraignment? I keep hoping that something will change and she will be held..Be my luck though, she will not have to show for this one..
    Gee..so glad I am not a trouble maker, this stuff gets really confusing..
    And to think, the only thing it would take to end it all would be for her just to tell the truth..
    Justice For Caylee Marie

Can anyone verify that she has an arraignment this week? All the stuff that I have been reading and what she was charged with she pled Not Guilty to everyone that I saw on the OC website!

I thought she has already has her arraignments and already pled not guilty on everything and already got bond set and paid her bonds on everything and is now awaiting trial in November.

My guess as to what will happen is :

Casey's attorney will enter not guilty pleas on any charges involved in this particular arraignment.

This will be accomplished by filing a form.

Casey will not be present.

That's about it.

jmho

Quote Originally Posted by kathyn2 View Post
    I thought she has already has her arraignments and already pled not guilty on everything and already got bond set and paid her bonds on everything and is now awaiting trial in November.
    That was my understanding, yet I still am hearing about this arraignment tomorrow..
    Let me find links..
    http://www.wftv.com/news/17598964/detail.html
    ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- Casey Anthony has entered a written plea of "not guilty" to all of the check fraud charges against her. Her arraignment is scheduled for later this month, but she is not expected to show up for the arraignment because of that written plea.
    Mods please delete this thread if need be..

Okay, I think I understand now..
    This new date for Thursday must have been for the latest round of charges, and she did the hand written plea..
    Justice For Caylee Marie

Insomnia Momma is offline If not supported by a link it's just what I think!
    Quote Originally Posted by summermood32 View Post
    Can anyone verify that she has an arraignment this week? All the stuff that I have been reading and what she was charged with she pled Not Guilty to everyone that I saw on the OC website!
    Arraignment info link

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/myfox/pa...Y&pageId=1.1.1

Will someone explain how she can plead NOT GUILTY? With all the video evidence of her writing those bad checks, plus motive and opportunity, how does she think she can get away with this? And wouldn't it be smarter to plead no contest, pay restitution, and get a slap on the wrist for this? Those dead squirrels have more sense, in my humble opinion...

Savannah, Georgia...the south once again.
    Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    Will someone explain how she can plead NOT GUILTY? With all the video evidence of her writing those bad checks, plus motive and opportunity, how does she think she can get away with this? And wouldn't it be smarter to plead no contest, pay restitution, and get a slap on the wrist for this? Those dead squirrels have more sense, in my humble opinion...
    I have been asking this same question...hopefully someone can answer it. I just don't understand how she/her lawyer enter that plea...color me confused.

Agreed, I still don't understand how she can plead not guilty..
    This part of the legal system really confuses me..
    They have her signature on Amy's checks, they have video,
    what part of "guilty" does she not understand?
    Justice For Caylee Marie

Quote Originally Posted by mydailyopinions View Post

It is just a procedural step.

It is not a grand pronouncement of innocence or guilt.

It has no stategic value, nor does it have any hidden meaning.

It sends no message; It is a piece of paper which is a procedural stepping stone.

It is simply standard procedure.

Don't let it upset you. :smoochiesmilie:

There are far more real disturbing aspects of this case.

The only thing I can think of is that they are buying time so that they have the option of going to trial on these charges. If she pleads guilty, maybe the judge would give her the maximum penalty and mandatory jail time. By the way, OT, I know, but what does "IIRC" mean? I keep seeing it and can't figure it out!

Thanks, MiraclesHappen--Nice explanation to those of us not too well versed in the law!

Quote Originally Posted by mydailyopinions View Post
    Well, it's Lady Justice at it's finest, naturally. And you can probably guess that her attorney JB, has already explained to her that she can enter that plea.......after all......she does have "exraordinary circumstances for doing what she did during all this time"

You're welcome Love the avatar pic!!!

The only thing I can think of is that they are buying time so that they have the option of going to trial on these charges. If she pleads guilty, maybe the judge would give her the maximum penalty and mandatory jail time. By the way, OT, I know, but what does "IIRC" mean? I keep seeing it and can't figure it out!
    EXACTLY ! It buys needed time to think up "new" lies ! LOL

IIRC - If I recall correctly
    Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Lake Erie Princess View Post
    EXACTLY ! It buys needed time to think up "new" lies ! LOL
    I think she spins them on the spot.
    Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. ~ Mark Twain

Thanks so much for the definition--I would never have gotten that one!

~Respectfully Snipped
    "Special K" Wrote:

Casey Anthony's arraignment for check fraud -- initially set for Thursday -- has been rescheduled for Oct. 14 before Judge Stan Strickland.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,6659609.story

Her attorney, Jose Baez, has already filed a written plea of not guilty on the check fraud charges

Silly wabbits, that's because it's the Nanny on the security cam not KC. Even CA will tell you that.

In many criminal cases, the defendant will plead not guilty at their arraignment, even if the evidence against them is pretty much conclusive.

A trial date will be set and prior to the trial, many defendants and their defense attorney will ask for a plea bargain. If the prosecution accepts the plea bargain offer, it saves the county the cost of a jury trial. The defendant is convicted of a lesser charge, which amounts to lesser punishment and fines. It's always up to the prosecutor to enter into plea bargain negotiations. If he has enough evidence to take the matter to trial, and he feels the defendant deserves maximum punishment, he will refuse negotiations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast