Casey's Arraignment This week?

mydailyopinions

Reaction score
Am I correct that she has an arraignment this week?
Second Question..
I was looking up Florida's arraignment procedures and located this information.
http://research.lawyers.com/Florida/Criminal-Process-in-Florida.html
Arraignment

Once criminal charges are filed, you'll make a court appearance which is known as an "arraignment." If you are incarcerated, this will usually occur within 72 hours of your arrest.

During your arraignment, you'll be asked to enter a "plea" to the crime you've been charged with. Florida pleas and corresponding definitions follow:

* Guilty plea: If you plead "guilty," you're admitting to the facts of the crime and the fact that you were the one who committed that crime.
* Not guilty plea: A "not guilty" plea asserts that you did not commit the crime with which you were accused. After your plea, a pre-trial or trial date will be set.
* No contest plea: A "no contest" plea indicates that, while you are not admitting guilt, you do not dispute the charge. This is preferable to a guilty plea because guilty pleas can be used against you in later civil lawsuits.
* "Mute" plea: In Florida, you may "stand mute" instead of making a plea. The court will then enter a plea of not guilty. By standing mute, you avoid silently admitting to the correctness of the proceedings against you until that point. You are then free to attack all previous proceedings that may have been irregular.

If you plead "guilty" or "no contest," there will not be a trial. You'll then be sentenced.

During the arraignment, the court will also:

* Set bail
* Refuse to set bail; or
* Release you on your own personal recognizance, which means that the court takes your word that you will appear when necessary for later court obligations

I bolded the part in question..
Could they actually set a high bond this time? Or possibly refuse bond?
I am no legal eagle here, and just trying to figure out what will actually happen..
Also,
With the terms of "guilty", "not guilty" and such..
* Not guilty plea: A "not guilty" plea asserts that you did not commit the crime with which you were accused. After your plea, a pre-trial or trial date will be set.
Will her saying she is not guilty actually hurt her case at all, knowing they have video showing she did commit this crime?

Tomorrow is the arraignment.

Knowing Casey she'll plead "Mute" LOL!

I was under the impression that she already bonded on these charges? :waitasec:

LOL, Absolutely.. :crazy:

My understanding is the same, so why would there even be an arraignment? I keep hoping that something will change and she will be held..Be my luck though, she will not have to show for this one..
Gee..so glad I am not a trouble maker, this stuff gets really confusing..
And to think, the only thing it would take to end it all would be for her just to tell the truth..:bang:

Can anyone verify that she has an arraignment this week? All the stuff that I have been reading and what she was charged with she pled Not Guilty to everyone that I saw on the OC website!

I thought she has already has her arraignments and already pled not guilty on everything and already got bond set and paid her bonds on everything and is now awaiting trial in November.

My guess as to what will happen is :

Casey's attorney will enter not guilty pleas on any charges involved in this particular arraignment.

This will be accomplished by filing a form.

Casey will not be present.

That's about it.

jmho

I thought she has already has her arraignments and already pled not guilty on everything and already got bond set and paid her bonds on everything and is now awaiting trial in November.

That was my understanding, yet I still am hearing about this arraignment tomorrow..
Let me find links..
http://www.wftv.com/news/17598964/detail.html
ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- Casey Anthony has entered a written plea of "not guilty" to all of the check fraud charges against her. Her arraignment is scheduled for later this month, but she is not expected to show up for the arraignment because of that written plea.
Mods please delete this thread if need be..

Okay, I think I understand now..
This new date for Thursday must have been for the latest round of charges, and she did the hand written plea..

Will someone explain how she can plead NOT GUILTY? With all the video evidence of her writing those bad checks, plus motive and opportunity, how does she think she can get away with this? And wouldn't it be smarter to plead no contest, pay restitution, and get a slap on the wrist for this? Those dead squirrels have more sense, in my humble opinion...

Will someone explain how she can plead NOT GUILTY? With all the video evidence of her writing those bad checks, plus motive and opportunity, how does she think she can get away with this? And wouldn't it be smarter to plead no contest, pay restitution, and get a slap on the wrist for this? Those dead squirrels have more sense, in my humble opinion...

I have been asking this same question...hopefully someone can answer it. I just don't understand how she/her lawyer enter that plea...color me confused.:confused:

Agreed, I still don't understand how she can plead not guilty..
This part of the legal system really confuses me..
They have her signature on Amy's checks, they have video,
what part of "guilty" does she not understand?

It is just a procedural step.

It is not a grand pronouncement of innocence or guilt.

It has no stategic value, nor does it have any hidden meaning.

It sends no message; It is a piece of paper which is a procedural stepping stone.

It is simply standard procedure.

Don't let it upset you. :smoochiesmilie:

There are far more real disturbing aspects of this case.

The only thing I can think of is that they are buying time so that they have the option of going to trial on these charges. If she pleads guilty, maybe the judge would give her the maximum penalty and mandatory jail time. By the way, OT, I know, but what does "IIRC" mean? I keep seeing it and can't figure it out!

Thanks, MiraclesHappen--Nice explanation to those of us not too well versed in the law!

Well, it's Lady Justice at it's finest, naturally. And you can probably guess that her attorney JB, has already explained to her that she can enter that plea.......after all......she does have "exraordinary circumstances for doing what she did during all this time":waitasec:

The only thing I can think of is that they are buying time so that they have the option of going to trial on these charges. If she pleads guilty, maybe the judge would give her the maximum penalty and mandatory jail time. By the way, OT, I know, but what does "IIRC" mean? I keep seeing it and can't figure it out!

EXACTLY ! It buys needed time to think up "new" lies ! LOL :rolleyes:

IIRC - If I recall correctly

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back