Nancy Cooper, 34, of Cary, N.C. #26

Status
Not open for further replies.

christine2448

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Please continue GENERAL discussions here. Look around Nancy has her own forum, there are several threads started on specific topics to try and stay organized.

Links to previous and similar threads can be found toward the bottom of the page.

Newbies.....

WELCOMETOWSBLUE.gif

I am sad such a tragedy is bringing us all together.

I advise everyone to read the RULES of WS, Long and Short Version .

NOTE: notice has been removed after discussions with Admins/Mods and Tricia will clarify as soon as she can. I am sincerely sorry for causing confusion. Please carry on as you were before notice. :blowkiss:

Jump - I wanted to comment on one of your posts on the now closed thread regarding defense strategy and BC providing all the evidence he can to show he is not involved in the murder. This will only work if he is truly innocent of any involvement. If he is guilty, to do this would more than likely compromise any defense case that could be mounted in a criminal proceeding. I say that because NC is not a recipricol discovery state, to give up this information even before he is charged would give the DA way too much information to also use against him and possibly more leads for LE to pursue before charging him. This would definitely be walking a greased tightrope over a pool of sharks who haven't fed for a month so to speak.

Jump - I wanted to comment on one of your posts on the now closed thread regarding defense strategy and BC providing all the evidence he can to show he is not involved in the murder. This will only work if he is truly innocent of any involvement. If he is guilty, to do this would more than likely compromise any defense case that could be mounted in a criminal proceeding. I say that because NC is not a recipricol discovery state, to give up this information even before he is charged would give the DA way too much information to also use against him and possibly more leads for LE to pursue before charging him. This would definitely be walking a greased tightrope over a pool of sharks who haven't fed for a month so to speak.

Yeah - agreed. It's why I think it will be very interesting to see what happens in the custody hearing. Certainly if they opt for another temporary agreement, it doesn't necessarily mean he's guilty [ his attorneys may want more time to fully prepare to make their "defense" case, or even the likely scenario where the psyche evaluation isn't yet complete ]. OTOH, if all things are ready... and he does takes the stand... and does answer questions, etc... that act, in and of itself, may have interesting implications (depending on what he states on the stand, etc).

If he's innocent - does he have much to lose in proceeding?

Yeah - agreed. It's why I think it will be very interesting to see what happens in the custody hearing. Certainly if they opt for another temporary agreement, it doesn't necessarily mean he's guilty [ his attorneys may want more time to fully prepare to make their "defense" case, or even the likely scenario where the psyche evaluation isn't yet complete ]. OTOH, if all things are ready... and he does takes the stand... and does answer questions, etc... that act, in and of itself, would have interesting implications.

I'm thinking they may want to move before the psych evaluation is complete, seems to me he really has tried to get around that issue by paying for one himself (he paid way too much as well) when the court had not ruled on it. Either he is getting some terrible advice or he is too stubborn to listen to the advice being given.

Dunno, for me the writing is on the wall with custody case - he gets a psych evaluation on his own and then he loses the motion to limit questioning. There is a reason that motion was filed in the first place and the judge has given fair warning that she will not ignore the elephant. Then he has Hiller do an affidavit which brings in a level of doubt with regard to being questioned about using Nancy's phone to help Brad set up an alibi. Not looking good for Brad really with just these few things as examples.

ETA - if he is innocent he needs to go for it no doubt, those are his kids.

his attorneys may want more time to fully prepare to make their "defense" case

I hope for BC's sake his attorneys already have their strategy planned out........I wish them the best of luck.

Any of the locals here knowledgeable about the DA's office there.......do they have some pretty sharp attorneys on board?

I hope for BC's sake his attorneys already have their strategy planned out........I wish them the best of luck.

Any of the locals here knowledgeable about the DA's office there.......do they have some pretty sharp attorneys on board?

LOL..they are still going around getting affidavits amended. I wonder which chariot they pick to come riding in on.

The time I have dealt with the DA's office the receptionist was more knowledgeable and helpful. Three minutes before our case the DA wanted to be briefed..yea right. My opinion is best :silenced:

LOL..they are still going around getting affidavits amended. I wonder which chariot they pick to come riding in on.

The time I have dealt with the DA's office the receptionist was more knowledgeable and helpful. Three minutes before our case the DA wanted to be briefed..yea right. My opinion is best :silenced:

OMG :eek:........do we need a change of venue ??? would that help at all ??? So you're sayin the prosecutors there aren't that great ???

Have you had any dealings with Becky Holt ?

I have no idea what kind of a case mom had but can only say I think it's well known that the the rookies and such get the lesser cases. Where I live, many young lawyers will often go to the Prosecutor's office to gain experience before going into private practice - where the money is.

It won't matter if they won't bring the case to trial.

The sad fact is that the evidence released to date on this case is less compelling than that available in the Young case, which shows no signs of moving forward, at least from the DA's office.

So, unless they get something substantially more than what currently appears, why would they take this case to trial over the Young case.

Of course, I hope I'm wrong and both cases go to trial and justice is served.

I haven't really followed the DA's office on its ability and willingness to try tough high-profile cases, but I will do some research on it and become active politically, because frankly I think they are letting our community down.

It won't matter if they won't bring the case to trial.

The sad fact is that the evidence released to date on this case is less compelling than that available in the Young case, which shows no signs of moving forward, at least from the DA's office.

Well, we don't know all the evidence LE has in the Cooper case - in fact, since 6-9 months haven't passed (reported typical amount of time to allow for the forensic processing believe it or not), they may still very well be waiting on forensics. The FBI involvement implies there may be some additional (specialized) forensic work being necessitated, so who knows how long that typically takes (12 months? More?).

What we do now (if we believe MH) is that as recent as a few weeks ago, they were focused on finding an explanation for phone call form NC's mobile phone to BC's mobile phone at some point on that Saturday.

Point is, LE may very well have (or will be getting) far more evidence in the NC case they they have in the MY case - we just don't have visibility to that. [ In the MY case, apparently it is a "known" that the initial forensics are indeed back from that 2+ year old case, so where they are is where they are... that's not necessarily the case yet with NC... ]

No RC, I haven't. From what I read with the Ann Miller case she seems to be one I would favor to handle a case of this nature.

There was a case, I think maybe five or so years ago, where Ms. Holt prosecuted a child murderer - can't think of the name, sorry. Anyhow it was a very difficult case but she got the job done. She is from all accounts very good, very thorough. I didn't follow the Miller case but am hoping she will have some input for this one. Last I heard she was working the Michelle Young case - hope so, she's good.

I have no idea what kind of a case mom had but can only say I think it's well known that the the rookies and such get the lesser cases. Where I live, many young lawyers will often go to the Prosecutor's office to gain experience before going into private practice - where the money is.
I had a child at the age of 9 assaulted by an adult. The adult was arrested immediately, handcuffed and taken to jail.

The Asst DA we had supposedly wasn't a rookie. We hired a private attorney (who was a prior judge) in case they got off the criminal charges so we could file in civil court.

Having 2 families with children involved we could not ever meet with them and it got extended 3x. It was such a nuisance. Our attorney told us this was a tactic by the defense side to wear us down.

As for the DA? Nothing. He would never agree to meet for us to express our fustration with all this and review the case.

Sure it wasn't a big case at all. But 3 minutes before the case to turn around and ask me to come sit next to them and give a synopsis of what occured?

There was a case, I think maybe five or so years ago, where Ms. Holt prosecuted a child murderer - can't think of the name, sorry. Anyhow it was a very difficult case but she got the job done. She is from all accounts very good, very thorough. I didn't follow the Miller case but am hoping she will have some input for this one. Last I heard she was working the Michelle Young case - hope so, she's good.
I read 'Deadly Dose' 2 weeks ago. Becky Holt is impressive. She sounds very qualified to handle these cases. I just hope she doesn't get too many on her plate and can handle the ones we are following.

So you recommend Deadly Dose then. I'll add it to my 'must read' list at the library.

The way the custody case has gone really bothers me. I can't imagine a scenario where I, as an innocent husband whose wife was just brutally murdered, let anyone take my children without a fight. I know you're supposed to listen to your lawyers, but I

I am not 100% convinced that BC did this, mostly because there are a few other scenarios that can somewhat reasonably fit into what we know about the case. The "easiest" explanation for most of what is known is that BC did it, but some of the other ideas are plausible. If/When there is something connecting him directly to the crime (which there could very well be already), such as NC's DNA on the "vegetable matter" or his DNA under her nails, or something, I will hold out a little hope that he didn't do it.

I don't like the strategy that his lawyers are using, but I'm not a lawyer so maybe it is just too complex for me to understand. They seem to respond to internet rumors, and I don't think that is helpful for their client.

While searching for another document on the Legal Docs page, I saw that Hannah Prichard had called the Cooper home the morning that "Nancy was missing", PRIOR to the call to the Cooper home by Jessica Adam.

I wonder why we haven't heard about that call, saying what Hannah Prichard's call was about, how Brad responded, etc.? Or have we? (I'll look in Hannah Prichard's affidavit, now that I think of it, since I can't find anything). Maybe Jessica's call and the ensuing all-out search for Nancy overpowered that call from Hannah as being mentioned. I'm sure that LE would have noticed it and probably have asked Hannah.

What do you think or know about that?

AND, there are so many darned divisions, now, on this Nancy Cooper page, that it is getting difficult to go back and find what I need to. I hope there aren't too many more separate thread divisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow